• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is hell eternal?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why do you believe hell is eternal and not temporary?
Some (I) believe: "Hell is invented by the leaders to get control over the masses. Get them to pay their 10% contribution to the Church"

Others believe: "hell is eternal and not temporary"

What I do know is that Christians try to brainwash us for 2000 year to believe "hell is real". Obviously the "brainwash program" worked well on them.

Off the top of my head, how about a bad translation, a deliberate mistranslation, a deliberate but bad rephrasing, an overstatement, an understatement, an embellishment, or a misleading euphemism,

Thats interesting. The overstatement would be the same as hyperbole yes, no?

Break each of those down for me more. Mayby examples of each, cause it is interesting where its going.

At the moment of your death, if you choose to turn into the light and look into the face of God, then you will experience God's infinite beauty. At that moment, experience God's infinite beauty is the greatest possible experience a human consciousness can experience. All time ceases to exist. Since you are dead you do not need food. You do not have material needs. You are just permanently stuck staring into the face of God for the rest of eternity in a state of total and absolute bliss.

If you choose not to go into the light well it's not clear what your journey will be like. But at some point you will probably get another chance to turn back into the light.

Some people are really stubborn so for them hell would last a lot longer.

This seams to resonate with something in me but i dont know why.

Some (I) believe: "Hell is invented by the leaders to get control over the masses. Get them to pay their 10% contribution to the Church"

Others believe: "hell is eternal and not temporary"

What I do know is that Christians try to brainwash us for 2000 year to believe "hell is real". Obviously the "brainwash program" worked well on them.

I have noticed a pastor i talked to in past on the issues of hell, particularly on the eternal aspect of it, when i questioned his sacred cow doctrine very closely with logical questions, at first he just say he dont know the answers to my questions, but we must have faith.

I told him others have faith in somthing else, so that isnt going to work. I also told him its nice your honest you dont know the answers, but thats just partial honesty, id like you to take the questions seriously and think about it and get me your answers.

Then he said God had the answers, to ask him.

I responded that i already had and that God revealed to me over time hell was not eternal.

At that he said thats not what Gods word teaches, lol.

At that i told him, if hell is eternal, do you really think God could not give you enough wisdom to make my questions look foolish?

At that he got angry and left.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I have noticed a pastor i talked to in past on the issues of hell, particularly on the eternal aspect of it, when i questioned his sacred cow doctrine very closely with logical questions, at first he just say he dont know the answers to my questions, but we must have faith.
I told him others have faith in somthing else, so that isnt going to work.
I also told him its nice your honest you dont know the answers, but thats just partial honesty, id like you to take the questions seriously and think about it and get me your answers.
Then he said God had the answers, to ask him.
I responded that i already had and that God revealed to me over time hell was not eternal.
At that he said thats not what Gods word teaches, lol.
At that i told him, if hell is eternal, do you really think God could not give you enough wisdom to make my questions look foolish?
At that he got angry and left.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful conversation with the pastor.
His original reply "I don't know the answers ... but we must have faith" was humble and true. Next reply even better "God has the answers .. to ask him".
God talking to you he could not stomach so he belittled your experience and got "mad" on your next simple question

My lesson of this story is. Better stick to Atmic wisdom and do not rely blind on "Google/Bible wisdom" when talking about God-stuff. Otherwise we fail miserable like the pastor.

Back to the original post "why is hell eternal". That is hearsay. Nobody died + went to hell + returned + told us. Nowadays we have many fantasy novels. Those days there were Fishermen stories "A small fish grows into a huge whale when they start narrating". Some people like to exaggerate, nothing new. Even US president D.Trump does it.

It's so easy to understand. When you are a fisherman, what do you fear most? Right, a giant fish, so the whale. And what is your greatest fear? Of course that the whale catches you instead you catching the whale. So I do understand the story "fisherman in the whale".

The same with God. Bees all listen to the queen bee. So humans all want to obey the "super human" called God. Even hollywood sells Superman and even Superwoman. Superman with Superpowers generates awe and fear. And the story already started. Fear creates "hell" AND anger in man creates "eternally" burning in this "hell"

That is my explanation of: "Why is Hell Eternall"

Prometheus85

Ok, give me your list of all the good reasons people dont come back from the dead (i.e. have an after life)?
1.Have you ever seen anyone come back from the dead?
2. Logistically speaking, the doctrine of Hell makes a category error by alternately claiming it’s physical and then not physical.
3. Morally speaking, punishment that has no redemptive or rehabilitative purposes is deplorable.

1.Have you ever seen anyone come back from the dead?
2. Logistically speaking, the doctrine of Hell makes a category error by alternately claiming it’s physical and then not physical.
3. Morally speaking, punishment that has no redemptive or rehabilitative purposes is deplorable.

I havent seen anyone myself. But dont those near death experiencers apply to this?

To number 2, i dont believe hell is physical. Things may look physical, but its mostly emotional and mentel. Astral if you will.

To number 3, i fully could not agree more with you.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Thats interesting. The overstatement would be the same as hyperbole yes, no?

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

whereas an overstatement, an exaggeration, could be meant to be taken literally.

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

whereas an overstatement, an exaggeration, could be meant to be taken literally.

Explain the others for me, the differences

Prometheus85

I havent seen anyone myself. But dont those near death experiencers apply to this?

To number 2, i dont believe hell is physical. Things may look physical, but its mostly emotional and mentel. Astral if you will.

To number 3, i fully could not agree more with you.
1. Near death experiences is not the same as resurrection and when people ( religious people) talk about their near death experiences they mostly mention heaven not hell.
2.)If it’s not physical, then there’s no resurrection. You just die and your soul immediately goes to Heaven or Hell, without a body. But this presents all kinds of other problems. For one thing, it contradicts the very book which brought us the concept of Hell in the first place.
3. You don’t agree? There are two kinds of punishment. Punishment that is redemptive in that it leaves its recipient in a better state afterwards because it is corrective. And punishment serves no purpose other than to make the angry authority figure feel better.
Which category do you think Hell would fall under??? Do the people who go there get a chance to learn from their punishment??? What kind of person punishes people for things they’re no longer in a position to change? it makes no sense to wait to punish people only the second after they can no longer change their destiny.

Prometheus85

@Jollybear you say hell is not Physical...gee I wonder why? Is it because It puts God in a position so actively involved in your suffering that he becomes a monster, and Christians such as yourself can’t have that (unless you’re a Calvinists, then you and others are fine with it). So you try to remove him from the process, but bodies can’t just come back from the dead—nor can they live forever—without some kind of divine intervention. So you have to choose which it is. Either God is directly responsible for the torture of Hell’s victims, or else this cannot be a physical state at all, despite the way the doctrine is usually presented.

1. Near death experiences is not the same as resurrection and when people ( religious people) talk about their near death experiences they mostly mention heaven not hell.
2.)If it’s not physical, then there’s no resurrection. You just die and your soul immediately goes to Heaven or Hell, without a body. But this presents all kinds of other problems. For one thing, it contradicts the very book which brought us the concept of Hell in the first place.
3. You don’t agree? There are two kinds of punishment. Punishment that is redemptive in that it leaves its recipient in a better state afterwards because it is corrective. And punishment serves no purpose other than to make the angry authority figure feel better.
Which category do you think Hell would fall under??? Do the people who go there get a chance to learn from their punishment??? What kind of person punishes people for things they’re no longer in a position to change? it makes no sense to wait to punish people only the second after they can no longer change their destiny.

Adress to #1 irrelavent, some near death experiences witness hell.

Adress #2 how does hell being mental and emotional torment contradict the bible?

adress #3 you wernt careful to read what i said. I DID agree.

@Jollybear you say hell is not Physical...gee I wonder why? Is it because It puts God in a position so actively involved in your suffering that he becomes a monster, and Christians such as yourself can’t have that (unless you’re a Calvinists, then you and others are fine with it). So you try to remove him from the process, but bodies can’t just come back from the dead—nor can they live forever—without some kind of divine intervention. So you have to choose which it is. Either God is directly responsible for the torture of Hell’s victims, or else this cannot be a physical state at all, despite the way the doctrine is usually presented.

I say hell is not physical because its an abode for spirits and spirits are none physical.

And yea, God would be responsible for the mental/emotional suffering due to the fact he would have designed hell after all.

And heaven/hell i see would be waiting spots before a future resurrection. Then the rightious will live on earth and the unrightious would be destroyed.

Last edited:

Prometheus85

Adress to #1 irrelavent, some near death experiences witness hell.

Adress #2 how does hell being mental and emotional torment contradict the bible?

adress #3 you wernt careful to read what i said. I DID agree.
1 by your logic if hell is just a mental and emotional state as well as not being Physical then it doesn’t exist expect for in people’s mind.
2. It’s not irrelevant. Because you say hell exists based on NDE testimonials. How do you know all these testimonials are true? Were u there to see the light or darkness that these individuals claimed to see? You weren't there to see them happen.