• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is God worth worshiping?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the God i worship is very fantastic, sympathetic, mysterious, and beautiful, physically and emotionally. He is the means and the end. :)

Kapalika

Premium Member
Because he's awesome?

More theologically and less strictly Bhakti, because Shiva is ourselves realized. Worship is the means to an end, realization of reality through devotion. A little more involved to explain but the deity helps one realize liberation even though the deity itself isn't of ultimate reality but a personality that is there to symbolize and manifest it's attributes in a form we can comprehend. It's worship of the truest nature, of which we are interdependent with and not separate from.

It could be said in that sense that the gods do not exist, but then we must also conclude that we don't exist, and that only the highest reality exists. Some hold this view and while I think there is a valid argument for it i tend to lean towards saying it all exists, just in different 'degrees' of 'realness'. In Trika we divide this into the 3 goddesses Parashakti, paraparashakti and aparashakti or more generally in Shaivism is the tattva (element) system with the Shuddha tattvas, Shuddashudda tattvas and Ashudda tattvas are the dividing line for this.

I do recall another poster told me of a likewise parrallel in another nondual system for this kind of 'layered reality' with Hinduism but I can't recall what those layers were called I'll have to hunt down the post.

In any case, the point is, worshiping a god is supposed to help one move along from a less 'real' form of existence to a more 'real' one. Worship of "God" isn't the ultimate goal in my religion, but rather taking on those attributes of Shiva, to become Shiva. To not be burdened by ignorance but have total consciousness and awareness. It's more complex than that but it's as much as is relevant to the question (and then maybe a bit' more).

(side note I tried to find a clip of Kali as well from that same scene but can't find anything decent, that's the best I could find)

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Worship as in worship and praise songs. First of all it feels good and is fun to sing and make music. It's good for your lungs and whole body. It's a good way to show your love for God by giving credit where credit is due. Such as praise for Christ dying on the cross for us. promising to resurrect us. lead us from sin, give us power over Satan. etc. It's also a pleasant way to tell the gospel. I only wish I could sing better.

Grandliseur

To all my friends who are theists out there, I would like to understand why you worship your God.
Do you vote? If yes, what for? Do you do it in the hope to have someone run the government in a fashion that might please you more than if the other guy won?! Or, something like that!

If war happens, and it has several times, people go fight in wars, you might too. They fight for whatever reason is given, and hope they don't get killed, but if they should get killed, they want it to be for a cause they believe in, for some betterment of something. However, they shall be dead and gone for good.

Worship of God means obedience to his laws. These laws promise us as much happiness as humans can attain. He also promises a global government ending wars, illness, hunger, and the great gulf between the poor and rich. If I were to die for God, he even promises that he shall resurrect me into this earthly Paradise.

I vote for God; he has the power, the will, and the plan to put into effect his promises. Can you usually call the president, or ruler, whenever you have a problem?
Well, we can pray and get help with our needs. We might not get to talk to God in a person to person type manner, but we do get his attention to our problem. Do you have that with your chosen ruler?

I vote for God.

Last edited:

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
We're inside a simulated reality, where God is the CPU; if we don't connect to the CPU, the light within us dwindles much quicker, and by recognizing the light within, we have the power to shape our reality.

In my opinion. :innocent:
If I'm understanding you correctly, you worship your god for light. What is the light you are referring to?

FlyingTeaPot

I think the God i worship is very fantastic, sympathetic, mysterious, and beautiful, physically and emotionally. He is the means and the end. :)
Okay, but that doesn't seem to answer the question. What makes God worthy of your worship?

FlyingTeaPot

Because he's awesome?

Do you worship everything you find awesome?

More theologically and less strictly Bhakti, because Shiva is ourselves realized. Worship is the means to an end, realization of reality through devotion. A little more involved to explain but the deity helps one realize liberation even though the deity itself isn't of ultimate reality but a personality that is there to symbolize and manifest it's attributes in a form we can comprehend. It's worship of the truest nature, of which we are interdependent with and not separate from.

It could be said in that sense that the gods do not exist, but then we must also conclude that we don't exist, and that only the highest reality exists. Some hold this view and while I think there is a valid argument for it i tend to lean towards saying it all exists, just in different 'degrees' of 'realness'. In Trika we divide this into the 3 goddesses Parashakti, paraparashakti and aparashakti or more generally in Shaivism is the tattva (element) system with the Shuddha tattvas, Shuddashudda tattvas and Ashudda tattvas are the dividing line for this.

I do recall another poster told me of a likewise parrallel in another nondual system for this kind of 'layered reality' with Hinduism but I can't recall what those layers were called I'll have to hunt down the post.

In any case, the point is, worshiping a god is supposed to help one move along from a less 'real' form of existence to a more 'real' one. Worship of "God" isn't the ultimate goal in my religion, but rather taking on those attributes of Shiva, to become Shiva. To not be burdened by ignorance but have total consciousness and awareness. It's more complex than that but it's as much as is relevant to the question (and then maybe a bit' more).

(side note I tried to find a clip of Kali as well from that same scene but can't find anything decent, that's the best I could find)

Ah, I see. So you worship god for self-realization? To better yourself? Become one with god? May I ask how worship helps you achieve these goals?

FlyingTeaPot

Worship as in worship and praise songs. First of all it feels good and is fun to sing and make music. It's good for your lungs and whole body.

That sounds fun.

It's a good way to show your love for God by giving credit where credit is due. Such as praise for Christ dying on the cross for us. promising to resurrect us. lead us from sin, give us power over Satan. etc. It's also a pleasant way to tell the gospel. I only wish I could sing better.

How did you determine where credit is due? What is credit due for? I fear I may have been too obtuse in my original post. What I want to get at is, what makes god so special in your life that makes him/her worthy of your worship?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If I'm understanding you correctly, you worship your god for light. What is the light you are referring to?
Reality is made of multiple dimensional quantum physics; quantums with high vibration are light.

It isn't so much to acquire light, more recognition of that is where the ultimate source of light comes from, and by resonating on the same frequency, it keeps us from the darkness surrounding us.

FlyingTeaPot

Do you vote? If yes, what for? Do you do it in the hope to have someone run the government in a fashion that might please you more than if the other guy won?! Or, something like that!

Well, who's the other guy? Are there many other guys? And how do I determine who is better for me?

If war happens, and it has several times, people go fight in wars, you might too. They fight for whatever reason is given, and hope they don't get killed, but if they should get killed, they want it to be for a cause they believe in, for some betterment of something. However, they shall be dead and gone for good.
So it is kind of a self-delusion? Hoping there is something rather than nothing?

Worship of God means obedience to his laws. These laws promise us as much happiness as humans can attain. He also promises a global government ending wars, illness, hunger, and the great gulf between the poor and rich. If I were to die for God, he even promises that he shall resurrect me into this earthly Paradise.
So if some other god were to promise you even better things, would you switch over? What makes your particular god so special?

I vote for God; he has the power, the will, and the plan to put into effect his promises. Can you usually call the president, or ruler, whenever you have a problem?
Well, we can pray and get help with our needs. We might not get to talk to God in a person to person type manner, but we do get his attention to our problem. Do you have that with your chosen ruler?

I vote for God.
Do you know what his plan is? What if he is secretly promising you all those things just so he can use you for his own end goal (whatever that might be)? Which is the same with politicians btw. Also, have you had all your prayers answered? Has he personally given you his attention? If so, how did he manifest himself?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
That sounds fun.

How did you determine where credit is due? What is credit due for? I fear I may have been too obtuse in my original post. What I want to get at is, what makes god so special in your life that makes him/her worthy of your worship?

Hard to put it in a nutshell, that's why just singing songs is better.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member

I vote for God.
Hmmm..... and would you have any evidence that this god exists? And when you say "...we do get his attention to our problem." are you suggesting a cause and effect relationship? Perhaps you are being disrespectful of reality.........

FlyingTeaPot

Reality is made of multiple dimensional quantum physics; quantums with high vibration are light.

It isn't so much to acquire light, more recognition of that is where the ultimate source of light comes from, and by resonating on the same frequency, it keeps us from the darkness surrounding us.

Okay. So let's say I recognize where the ultimate source of light comes from, and by resonating on the same frequency, I have driven darkness away. Is that a reason to worship this light (whatever that may be)? Or is worship itself the act of resonating on the same frequency? I still don't understand why this light is worthy of worship. Is worship the only way to achieve this light? What happens if I don't worship? What are the consequences?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, but that doesn't seem to answer the question. What makes God worthy of your worship?
Because he is the highest transcendental being, omnipotent and omnipresent, living in his abode where only goodness resides. He is within everything, and everything is within him. To worship and have a relationship with him makes one free of material desires and attain his abode. He is the Supreme Truth to his devotees :)

Apologies if it looks like i'm proselytising.

FlyingTeaPot

Hard to put it in a nutshell, that's why just singing songs is better.
Hmmm. So if I am understanding you correctly, the very act of worship manifested as singing gospels and being part of a community gives you joy? If so, more power to you. Sing away and spread the joy!

Grandliseur

Well, who's the other guy? Are there many other guys? And how do I determine who is better for me?

So it is kind of a self-delusion? Hoping there is something rather than nothing?

So if some other god were to promise you even better things, would you switch over? What makes your particular god so special?

Do you know what his plan is? What if he is secretly promising you all those things just so he can use you for his own end goal (whatever that might be)? Which is the same with politicians btw. Also, have you had all your prayers answered? Has he personally given you his attention? If so, how did he manifest himself?
I answered your questions. I am not debating with atheists. You can practice your belief in your chaos god all you like.
If you have questions that I might be interested in answering, as this one seemed serious, ask - otherwise, stay on your side of your faith in creation by chaos.

FlyingTeaPot

Because he is the highest transcendental being, omnipotent and omnipresent, living in his abode where only goodness resides. He is within everything, and everything is within him. To worship and have a relationship with him makes one free of material desires and attain his abode. He is the Supreme Truth to his devotees :)
Okay. I can see that. Is being free of material desires your highest priority? How do you rid yourself of desire? Isn't the fact that you want to attain his abode in itself a desire?

Apologies if it looks like i'm proselytizing.
Not at all. I want to have a healthy debate.