• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is God Invisible And Where Does He Live?

james bond

I'm sorry James, I don't believe in the Trinity.

The only true God is the Father.
My Lord Jesus is the Son and was sent

John 17:3,1 New International Version (NIV)

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:

Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.

My Lord Jesus was very clear in his words during his time here on Earth. He looked up toward heaven and and prayed to the Father.

He said this is eternal life - to know you [the Father], the only true God. What is the word "only" - doesn't it mean - exclusivity? If people refuse to believe that the only true God is the Father, would they have eternal life? I believe, my Lord Jesus is clear with that.

Accordingly, my Lord Jesus said the Father [who is the only true God] sent him on Earth. This is the thing that people missed - they believe in the Trinity but my Lord Jesus left his words who is God and who isn't.

I guess I'm not feeling that you're listening to me and answering my question of who the artist is and when was the painting done. There is no explanation, but it's your evidence that God is invisible, period. There is no further explanation. It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that you are one who seeks the truth, but instead just wants to explain their beliefs. That's fine. Just so we understand, those are your beliefs and not that of the majority. It's just like you do not believe in The Trinity.

When I said God was anthropomorphic, even the voice (I assume Hebrew) gives clues to being human. Is it male or female? Is it high pitch or low pitch? I suppose it could be a different language if God the Father was talking to someone from a different country, i.e. post Tower of Babel. Thus, it follows that God is anthropomorphic as described in the Bible. If God wasn't anthropomorphic, then it could be an animal's bark or roar. Maybe an alien with strange sounds. Or it could be telepathic. All of the latter is not described at all in the Bible. What is described is God has human traits such as face, hands, ears and so on. Thus, he can be represented as Semetic or other representations such as dark skinned and short curly hair. Art from ancient times show us that.

MJFlores

When I said God was anthropomorphic, even the voice (I assume Hebrew) gives clues to being human. Is it male or female?

Hehehe. If you could use low falutin words, I could answer. Words like anthropormorphic may trigger an aneurysm that I could not recover from.
upload_2017-4-29_9-1-31.jpeg

Anyway this is what I picked up from you, Mr Bond:
God is not an it and God is the Father.

Let us use the most popular verse in the bible:

John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The term anthropomorphic is a highfalutin word??? o_O Oh my.... then why isn't "highfalutin" a highfalutin word too?

james bond

Hehehe. If you could use low falutin words, I could answer. Words like anthropormorphic may trigger an aneurysm that I could not recover from.
View attachment 16990
Anyway this is what I picked up from you, Mr Bond:
God is not an it and God is the Father.

Let us use the most popular verse in the bible:

John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I just learned about God being anthropomorphic, too. It means having human form or attributes or human characteristics to nonhuman things. The Bible describes God as an anthropomorphic spirit. That means he is a spirit with human attributes. He isn't a cat spirit. Thus, wouldn't you agree that God talking with Adam means he has human qualities instead of cat qualities? This explains the several passages describing he is invisible and others that state he has human attributes. It means that he can be illustrated as such and I would think that the person describing their supernatural experience actually sees these qualities. In your example, it shows his human quality of having a son. That's why he's depicted as an elderly father figure. He's not going to be shown as a woman or cat. If he's invisible, then without a description it would appear as if no one or nothing was there. Also, I'm not saying this so we can illustrate God. The artist is going by how God is described.

MJFlores

I just learned about God being anthropomorphic, too. It means having human form or attributes or human characteristics to nonhuman things. The Bible describes God as an anthropomorphic spirit. That means he is a spirit with human attributes. He isn't a cat spirit. Thus, wouldn't you agree that God talking with Adam means he has human qualities instead of cat qualities? This explains the several passages describing he is invisible and others that state he has human attributes. It means that he can be illustrated as such and I would think that the person describing their supernatural experience actually sees these qualities. In your example, it shows his human quality of having a son. That's why he's depicted as an elderly father figure. He's not going to be shown as a woman or cat. If he's invisible, then without a description it would appear as if no one or nothing was there. Also, I'm not saying this so we can illustrate God. The artist is going by how God is described.

James, James, James! When my Lord Jesus said God is Spirit (John 4:24), it means he in invisible. When painters start to paint him as an old man, I think he won't like it. And this is recorded in the Bible:

Romans 1:19-27 New International Version (NIV)

since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

upload_2017-4-30_10-32-23.jpeg

leonardo da vinci

5 Gay Stories the Vatican Doesn’t Want You to Know

upload_2017-4-30_10-33-30.jpeg

Michelangelo

james bond

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it sounds as if your beliefs overrides what the Bible states. Or are you just referring to the Hebrew Bible and trying to explain what it says in that about the illustration of God? Or are you saying this is the way he is described in the Hebrew Bible?

eldios

One of the theories of creation scientists is that we do not see God because he lives in another dimension. The dimensions that we know that exist are the current three dimensions and the fourth dimension of time. To show how someone or something that exists in a higher dimension can be invisible to those in a lower dimension, we use flatland.

One of interesting scientific theories scientists are pursuing with LHC is what happens to the graviton. The reason is gravity is the weakest forces in the universe compared to electromagnetic force, strong force, weak force. Here is what theorizes happens to to the graviton.

060531_graviton_hmed_3p.gif

An animated image shows a collision between two subatomic particles embedded in our 3-D universe (or "brane"). The collision produces other particles, including a graviton that escapes from our brane into the extradimensional "bulk" that lies beyond.

Physicists probe the fifth dimension

Extra dimensions, gravitons, and tiny black holes | CERN

Creation scientists think think M-theory can be applied to many situtations including the supernatural, so are building the M-theory supernatural model. What the M stood for was never explained founder Edward Witten in 1995. The creationists like to think it stands for miracles.

"Once upon a time parallel universes were an unacceptable topic in physics. It was a topic that resulted in ridicule, partly because of the inherent difficulty in testing such a model but also because it extended from a philosophical position of naturalism. The tendency was to see our universe as all the ever was, and all that ever will be, so the notion that there was anything outside our universe simply came too close to religion for the taste of some. M-theory has changed that by bringing the idea of parallel universes into the mainstream of physics.

Since the supernatural can be considered as anything from outside our universe, the direct interactions between anything and anyone from outside our universe by definition are supernatural events. In fact the event where Christ appeared to his disciples in a locked room can be easily understood in terms of Christ being able move his resurrected body through higher dimensions since the room would be open to those. So by using parallel universes M-theory blurs the line between natural and supernatural. This not only provides a scientific door to the supernatural but it also provides a physical theory for possibly modeling such events in a testable manner.

The Bible mentions several places that in our current form are both unseen and unreachable. In 2 Corinthians 12:2 the Apostle Paul speaks of being “caught up to the third heaven”. The third heaven seems to be the place where believers go at death. While there is no specific mention of a second heaven, it is implied by the reference to the third heaven. Since what we call space is called heaven in Genesis 1, it is likely our universe is the first heaven; this is supported by Revelation 21:1. It is likely the second heaven is where angels and demons do their thing; in any case that realm is both unseen and unreachable. The Bible also mentions two other places: hell and the lake of fire, they too in our current form are both unseen and unreachable. In M-theory all of these unseen and unreachable places could be on separate branes. Furthermore M-theory shows how these different branes can interact, thus allowing the spiritual world and ours to interact."

M-theory - CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science

All our experiences started out as thoughts so if you can find a thought, then you have found our created existence.

Psalm 139
17: How precious to me are thy thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!

Then He spoke those thoughts into what we know as Life;

Psalm 33
8: Let all the earth fear the LORD, let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!
9: For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood forth.

gnostic

The Lost One
Extra dimensions do not prove or suggest god.
Yes, you're right, Shadow...it doesn't prove God.

James Bond is merely grasping at straws, wanting to justify god, in attempting to associate with god.

What jb doesn't know is that the maths are wondrously complex in M-theory, but it isn't really science, because it is largely theoretical, with no testable and verifiable evidences.

So far M-theory's only application in the real world is in one of the imaginative plots or scripts in sci-fi novels, comics, tv and movies.

Rev. Exordius

Flatland perfectly explains everything... we now have scientific evidence that god can exist. That does not mean he does exist mind you but it proves he could exist and that is a step in the right direction for those who support his existence. Now all we need to find is the smoking gun...

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I don't usually like to get into the whole "Does God exist" arguments, but this thread reminds me of something I saw on another forum years ago.....

Man once believed the gods lived on the tops of the highest mountains, but when man climbed the mountains he found no gods.

Man once believed the gods lived in the sky, just beyond the clouds, but when man went up into the sky he found no gods.

Man once believed the gods lived in space, but when man used telescopes to peer into the furthest reaches of space he found no gods.

Now man believes the gods live outside of our universe altogether and are unseen, undetectable, untestable, and unmeasureable.......IOW, indistinguishable from non-existence.

DavidFirth

I also wonder whether or not God and the angels exist in another physical dimension or something like another dimension. I don't know but it is interesting.

I, too, have studied the 4th dimension (not time) and have found it quite elusive. No matter how I try I just can't picture what it might look like. It is considered a very "weird place."

I don't understand all of the mathematics involved but here is the link:

Exotic spheres, or why 4-dimensional space is a crazy place | plus.maths.org