• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is everyone losing their minds about Christchurch?

serp777

Its all over the news. People are freaking out. People are calling this the worst atrocity in modern history. Unbelievable over dramatization. Sure its tragic and I wish it didn't happen, but on the other hand nobody seems to care about the tens of thousands who die every day from preventable diseases, murders., car accidents, etc. GoFundMe campaigns are receiving thousands in donations while there are charities who would put the money to much better use.

Meanwhile nobody cares about the numerous Muslims and Christians who are murdered and tortured in Africa all the time.So what's with the hysteria and seemingly randomly placed empathy. I don't see empathy for all the other equally valuable people who die all the time and are instantly forgotten about. its seems entirely political. The left knew they could milk this situation to their benefit since it was a white alt right male murdering a bunch of Muslims in a mosque. Its political pandering and virtue signaling and its a disgrace.

INB4 all of the moral outrage over this post. Seriously before commenting in all caps about how I have no empathy, etc try to remember that I at least have just as much empathy for every other person who is forgotten about.At least i'm not a political tool who is being manipulated.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's the media fad where reporting terrorism and mass shootings are the ultimate hot topic of the day. It's a trending topic.

serp777

It's the media fad where reporting terrorism and mass shootings are the ultimate hot topic of the day. It's a trending topic.

I know its a trending topic but you would expect people to keep things in perspective more. I mean where is their concern about the thousands who die everyday? It just feels like a political move to advance certain agendas. If it was a Christian Church in Africa blown up by a Muslim terrorist, we'd probably barely know it happened.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I don't get it myself, it seems that every group seems to be milking it for what they've got. Everyone gets a slice of the pie except for those who died. The fire is merely being fueled more here, a big chance for many groups to have their agendas advanced. I don't buy any of this crap.

serp777

You don't think that mass murder - especially considering it's becoming more frequent - isn't news worthy? Or is it just butthurt over the fact that it makes right wing ideology and gun fetishism look bad?

4 Christian Villages were wiped out in Africa and it hardly made the news. So why is Christchurch more news worthy than the almost 2000 who have been killed by the 453 Islamic terrorist attacks in 2019 alone?

I mean Shiites and Sunnis blow up each other's mosques all the time and nobody cares.This is just political pandering and virtue signaling--nothing else. Its disgraceful that the news is using this as a political tool. This just become news worthy because its a white alt right psychopath who they can use to advance their own political agendas.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You don't think that mass murder - especially considering it's becoming more frequent - isn't news worthy? Or is it just butthurt over the fact that it makes right wing ideology and gun fetishism look bad?
I guarantee you once it's not trending anymore, media will drop it like a hot potato.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I'm in NZ ATM,I saw jacinda Arden in a hijab and instantly thought it was a massive vote puller,of course it may have been heartfelt but I don't trust politicians.

Jumi

It's a terrible event, but you're right that there are worse things happening that don't get reported much in news media. People even forget that there have been "mass shootings" of civilians that numbered near 150 dead innocent people in the past few years. Where were they when Garissa happened? When Peshawar happend? When Paris happened? And we don't even know how many Shias, Sunnis, Christians, Yazidis and other innocent people of different ethnicities and religions ISIS murdered on their worst days...

The Deadliest Mass Shootings In History
Rank Name Location Year Victims
1 Garissa University College Attack Garissa, Kenya 2015 148
2 Peshawar School Massacre Peshawar, Pakistan 2014 149
3 November 2015 Paris Attacks Paris, France 2015 130
4 2011 Norway Attacks Oslo, Norway 2011 77
5 Westgate Shopping Mall Attack Nairobi, Kenya 2013 67
6 2017 Las Vegas Shooting Las Vegas, Nevada, USA 2017 58
7 South Korea Shooting of 1982 Uiryeong County, South Korea 1982 56
8 New Zealand Mosque Shootings Christchurch, New Zealand 2019 50
9 2016 Orlando Nightclub Shooting Orlando, Florida, USA 2016 49
10 Sousse Beach Mass Shooting Sousse, Tunisia 2015 38

danieldemol

Premium Member
Its all over the news. People are freaking out. People are calling this the worst atrocity in modern history. Unbelievable over dramatization. Sure its tragic and I wish it didn't happen, but on the other hand nobody seems to care about the tens of thousands who die every day from preventable diseases, murders., car accidents, etc. GoFundMe campaigns are receiving thousands in donations while there are charities who would put the money to much better use.

Meanwhile nobody cares about the numerous Muslims and Christians who are murdered and tortured in Africa all the time.So what's with the hysteria and seemingly randomly placed empathy. I don't see empathy for all the other equally valuable people who die all the time and are instantly forgotten about. its seems entirely political. The left knew they could milk this situation to their benefit since it was a white alt right male murdering a bunch of Muslims in a mosque. Its political pandering and virtue signaling and its a disgrace.

INB4 all of the moral outrage over this post. Seriously before commenting in all caps about how I have no empathy, etc try to remember that I at least have just as much empathy for every other person who is forgotten about.At least i'm not a political tool who is being manipulated.
I think the difference is that people expect these things to happen in backwards underdeveloped regions of the world, they just don’t expect terrorism to occur here in the west, so it has more shock value because it’s closer to home. Especially for those of us who live on the Pacific Ocean.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the difference is that people expect these things to happen in backwards underdeveloped regions of the world, they just don’t expect terrorism to occur here in the west, so it has more shock value because it’s closer to home. Especially for those of us who live on the Pacific Ocean.
In parts of Africa and the US it's hardly news. In NZ it's something new and shocking. The police there don't even carry guns.

An interesting article I read yesterday: Opinion | The Roots of the Christchurch Massacre

MJFlores

Because another storm is coming.
Al Queda is history
ISIS is history
Another one is forming

And we will be back on square one.
It is a mad mad world, isn't it?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Massacres are rare in many countries, New Zealand being one.
Desensitivity to violence reduces the closer to one's own situation something is.

If you like, you can compare every tragic situation to something worse and say 'Meh'.
For me, I lived in New Zealand, and choose not to.

It's neither random, nor hysterical, nor political pandering. It's human.
Sue me.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I remember just as much outrage and weeks of sympathy pouring in from all over the world following the terrorist attack on the Manchester Evening News Area by an Islamic terrorist, so this allegation is absolutely baseless and totally contradicted by reality.

I don't see empathy for all the other equally valuable people who die all the time and are instantly forgotten about. its seems entirely political. The left knew they could milk this situation to their benefit since it was a white alt right male murdering a bunch of Muslims in a mosque. Its political pandering and virtue signaling and its a disgrace.

I'd say it has received less overall publicity than the Bataclan attack.

Why then should this one be primarily considered as 'political pandering and virtue signalling'?

4 Christian Villages were wiped out in Africa and it hardly made the news. So why is Christchurch more news worthy than the almost 2000 who have been killed by the 453 Islamic terrorist attacks in 2019 alone?

I mean Shiites and Sunnis blow up each other's mosques all the time and nobody cares.This is just political pandering and virtue signaling--nothing else. Its disgraceful that the news is using this as a political tool. This just become news worthy because its a white alt right psychopath who they can use to advance their own political agendas.

Why did they cover 9/11 so much when millions die of cancer each year? Why bother mentioning ebola outbreaks when lack of access to clean water kills more each year? Political pandering and virtue signalling... :rolleyes:

Funny how people only start to critique the concept of news value when it is ideologically convenient...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_values#Conditions_for_news
  • Frequency: Events that occur suddenly and fit well with the news organization's schedule are more likely to be reported than those that occur gradually or at inconvenient times of day or night. Long-term trends are not likely to receive much coverage.
  • Familiarity: To do with people or places close to home.
  • Negativity: Bad news is more newsworthy than good news.
  • Unexpectedness: If an event is out of the ordinary it will have a greater effect than something that is an everyday occurrence.
  • Unambiguity: Events whose implications are clear make for better copy than those that are open to more than one interpretation, or where any understanding of the implications depends on first understanding the complex background in which the events take place.
  • Personalization: Events that can be portrayed as the actions of individuals will be more attractive than one in which there is no such "human interest."
  • Meaningfulness: This relates to the sense of identification the audience has with the topic. "Cultural proximity" is a factor here—stories concerned with people who speak the same language, look the same, and share the same preoccupations as the audience receive more coverage than those concerned with people who speak different languages, look different and have different preoccupations.
  • Reference to elite nations: Stories concerned with global powers receive more attention than those concerned with less influential nations.
  • Reference to elite persons: Stories concerned with the rich, powerful, famous and infamous get more coverage.
  • Conflict: Opposition of people or forces resulting in a dramatic effect. Stories with conflict are often quite newsworthy.
  • Consonance: Stories that fit with the media's expectations receive more coverage than those that defy them (and for which they are thus unprepared). Note this appears to conflict with unexpectedness above. However, consonance really refers to the media's readiness to report an item.
  • Continuity: A story that is already in the news gathers a kind of inertia. This is partly because the media organizations are already in place to report the story, and partly because previous reportage may have made the story more accessible to the public (making it less ambiguous).
  • Composition: Stories must compete with one another for space in the media. For instance, editors may seek to provide a balance of different types of coverage, so that if there is an excess of foreign news for instance, the least important foreign story may have to make way for an item concerned with the domestic news. In this way the prominence given to a story depends not only on its own news values but also on those of competing stories. (Galtung and Ruge, 1965)
  • Competition: Commercial or professional competition between media may lead journalists to endorse the news value given to a story by a rival.
  • Co-optation: A story that is only marginally newsworthy in its own right may be covered if it is related to a major running story.
  • Prefabrication: A story that is marginal in news terms but written and available may be selected ahead of a much more newsworthy story that must be researched and written from the ground up.
  • Predictability: An event is more likely to be covered if it has been pre-scheduled. (Bell, 1991)
  • Time constraints: Traditional news media such as radio, television and daily newspapers have strict deadlines and a short production cycle, which selects for items that can be researched and covered quickly.
  • Logistics: Although eased by the availability of global communications even from remote regions, the ability to deploy and control production and reporting staff, and functionality of technical resources can determine whether a story is covered. (Schlesinger, 1987)
  • Data: Media need to back up all of their stories with data in order to remain relevant and reliable. Reporters prefer to look at raw data in order to be able to take an unbiased perspective.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Population percentage-wise, it's roughly equivalent to 3500 Americans being killed in a single incident.