• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is divination considered a sin to Christians?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Ok, why do you feel it's trying to tap into powers not from God? and I'm wondering why you say it's a lack of faith! one more thing; how do you know God recommends to avoid it? Oh yea, I forgot!! is this coming from what "the bible" says? if so; you don't really know what God recommends! cause you're going on what you've read,not what you know for sure.If you have not been in the mist of someone doing Divination and the results it produced then you can't really say because you haven't never seen for yourself.
Ok.... you ask a question, then you answer it.

Are you saying that it really doesn't matter what your OP asked?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
From those more learned than myself on the matter (see - Does the Bible Outlaw Magick?) it seems the Bible is actually fairly political when it comes to matters of spellcraft and divination. That is to say, it approves of these things when they are done by "their people" and disapproves of them when they are done by anybody else. As for how this is interpreted in the modern context, your mileage will vary.

Kenny

Premium Member
From those more learned than myself on the matter (see - Does the Bible Outlaw Magick?) it seems the Bible is actually fairly political when it comes to matters of spellcraft and divination. That is to say, it approves of these things when they are done by "their people" and disapproves of them when they are done by anybody else. As for how this is interpreted in the modern context, your mileage will vary.
Or, as in Moses and Pharoah's religious sect, God decided one way is correct and the others are not. One is unlimited in scope and the other isn't. One is done by God and the others aren't.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
If you don't care, then why did you ask?

I don't believe in fairies or leprechauns or mermaids either, but you are certainly welcome to your tarot cards, Ouija boards and crystal balls.

I don't care cause I am fine with me, I asked because I wanted to know for GP, do you what that means? General Purpose. Just like a lot of people here on these forums,sometime it is just interesting to see how silly or narrow minded people can be? you don't have to give me permission I've already got that from my higher power.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
Or, as in Moses and Pharoah's religious sect, God decided one way is correct and the others are not. One is unlimited in scope and the other isn't. One is done by God and the others aren't.
Good thing I am of God then isn't it?

Kenny

Premium Member
Good thing I am of God then isn't it?

You may be, I am not the judge of the heart. King David was "of God" and still did things that weren't of God. :) For that matter, I have too!

But the logic of what you said seems to be faulty if just because you are of God that everything you do is from God.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
In my opinion, one of the first things we need to do - if we want to combine our faith with logic and reason - is recognize that there are many contradictions in the Bible, and we really have no way of knowing whether it's all the "Word of God" all the word of Man (literally, just men 40+ of them!), or a combination of both. Instead of rising to the challenge of thinking for ourselves and keeping an open mind, we latch on to a given scripture\passage as if God told it to us personally - just now! - and totally disregard other passages that directly or indirectly contradict it...or suggest other interpretations.

In this case, yes there are passages that deem divination as evil - e.g. Deuteronomy 18:10 "There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer". But in Genesis 41, Joseph Interprets Pharaoh's Dreams by supernatural means (otherwise how else could he have interpreted them), which is a form of divination. Furthermore, he was handsomely rewarded for this divination - by both man and God.

In Matthew 2 the three wise men tell Herod that the King of the Jews would be born in Bethlehem: “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet:" What is prophecy, but another form of divination, i.e. telling the future by supernatural means. In 2 Corinthian 12:10 prophecy is listed as one of the spiritual GIFTS!: to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. Maybe what you are doing, Zita, with the tarot cards, astrology and so forth is using YOUR spiritual gifts.

I think that how we USE our spiritual gifts is infinitely more important that the labels we use to define them - especially when it's based on only considering SOME of what the Bible says on the matter.
Wow, thanks that is very interesting and thank you for realizing I do have these spiritual gifts that God gave me, and the use of them is for higher knowledge from the spiritual world.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
You may be, I am not the judge of the heart. King David was "of God" and still did things that weren't of God. :) For that matter, I have too!

But the logic of what you said seems to be faulty if just because you are of God that everything you do is from God.
I didn't say everything I do I said when I do divination it is to access the divine knowledge.Other things I do aren't in question here.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
One of the more common uses of divination is to place ones own self between people and a higher power. It can be a tactic to manipulate people, much like a fake diet program. On that basis its probably not got to do with anything personal but with putting oneself forward as a leader. Using statistics to manipulate people would probably count as divination I think.

Ok, if some people see it that way , I guess I could see them feeling it isn't right, I am not aware of why other people do it, anything can be used for the wrong purposes, I don't know cause I've always did it to help myself or to help someone else for the good not the bad. thanks again that is insightful.

Kenny

Premium Member
I didn't say everything I do I said when I do divination it is to access the divine knowledge.Other things I do aren't in question here.
and that is the question... is it divine, or as Moses said, supernatural but not divine. Moses may have the greater experiential understanding unless you have split a sea, of course. :)

Sky Rivers

One of the new age practices is through Divination, my definition of Divination is accessing Divine knowledge and/or Guidance,to increase your personal power and living a peaceful, happier,more fulfilled life,through using interpretive tools;like Tarot cards, the pendulum,numerology,astrology,Ouija board and meditation to name a few.Seems to me that it would be considered a positive thing,how can you say seeking the Divine is not a positive thing it's evil. I read tarot cards for myself and other people,I've tried to explain on several occasions that the cards aren't evil they are just objects, the person reading the cards would have to be the force that is evil and using for evil purposes.I have never so far had negative readings,the information has always helped or enlightened the person I'm reading for. The other tool I use on a regular basis is the pendulum,and once again it helped clear up and answered the person's questions.I've never had a problem!! and I always pray and ask for protection doing the readings from anything negative coming through! because yes there are negative spirits as well as positive,but as I said I have never had a problem or bad experience!! I am going to continue seeking the divine in the manner I am lead to, just like anyone else.
Hopefully there is someone who knows the answer to my question.
I have used Tarot and other tools. Why is it a sin to consult such items? You are relying on unclean spirits, rather than on God. You are seeking guidance from unclean spirits, opening doorways for them to have legal authority in your life. Yes, in New Age practice, it all seems beneficial. The entities seem to have your best interest. They don't. Over time, rarely right away, they will destroy you; they will mislead and they will incrementally poison you.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
and that is the question... is it divine, or as Moses said, supernatural but not divine. Moses may have the greater experiential understanding unless you have split a sea, of course. :)
Sorry I don't know what Moses said I wasn't there.

Sky Rivers

This is not just limited to some Christians but I have come across a few that condemned these types of things yet described having visions. Religious magic is religious magic, I see no difference between some group of Wiccans or Pagans getting together and casting a spell for healing or what not and a group of people of any other faith collectively praying for health and healing of someone though their holy books may state otherwise.
Counterfeits exist and they rely on that which isn't of God, the Creator of Heaven and the Earth.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
I have used Tarot and other tools. Why is it a sin to consult such items? You are relying on unclean spirits, rather than on God. You are seeking guidance from unclean spirits, opening doorways for them to have legal authority in your life. Yes, in New Age practice, it all seems beneficial. The entities seem to have your best interest. They don't. Over time, rarely right away, they will destroy you; they will mislead and they will incrementally poison you.

Wow, not everyone's experiences are the same, so sorry you had bad experiences, me , myself have not had any, mine are always blessed results.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
Counterfeits exist and they rely on that which isn't of God, the Creator of Heaven and the Earth.
yes there are some out there that are counterfeits but not everyone falls in that circle!so we should not label or judge everyone because of a few.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
One of the new age practices is through Divination, my definition of Divination is accessing Divine knowledge and/or Guidance,to increase your personal power and living a peaceful, happier,more fulfilled life,through using interpretive tools;like Tarot cards, the pendulum,numerology,astrology,Ouija board and meditation to name a few.Seems to me that it would be considered a positive thing,how can you say seeking the Divine is not a positive thing it's evil. I read tarot cards for myself and other people,I've tried to explain on several occasions that the cards aren't evil they are just objects, the person reading the cards would have to be the force that is evil and using for evil purposes.I have never so far had negative readings,the information has always helped or enlightened the person I'm reading for. The other tool I use on a regular basis is the pendulum,and once again it helped clear up and answered the person's questions.I've never had a problem!! and I always pray and ask for protection doing the readings from anything negative coming through! because yes there are negative spirits as well as positive,but as I said I have never had a problem or bad experience!! I am going to continue seeking the divine in the manner I am lead to, just like anyone else.
Hopefully there is someone who knows the answer to my question.
Deuteronomy 18:10-12 & Acts of the Apostles 19:19 both reveal how God feels about spiritism. (The Israelites were even killed if they pursued those practices.) Why?
Because the powers behind them, isn't from Him. In fact, they are in opposition to Him. Exodus 7:10-12