• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is being gay considered wrong?

Uncertaindrummer

FeathersinHair said:
UD, I think the greatest struggle that we seem to be dealing with here might be in believing that being gay is a sin. Are you saying that it is? If you are, it might be worthwhile to open a seperate debate on that.
No. Being gay is not a sin. Practicing your homosexuality is, though. That's the Christian viewpoint. Or at least, the Catholic one. Not sure about Fundamentalists.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Uncertaindrummer said:
No. Being gay is not a sin. Practicing your homosexuality is, though. That's the Christian viewpoint. Or at least, the Catholic one. Not sure about Fundamentalists.
So, you're not saying that it's your belief. You're simply saying it's the belief of this particular faith. Or am I not understanding that correctly?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
FeathersinHair said:
So, you're not saying that it's your belief. You're simply saying it's the belief of this particular faith. Or am I not understanding that correctly?
I'll let UD answer but I think he was only expressing what we Catholics are supposed to believe according to Church teaching.

~Victor

Mike182

Flaming Queer
mr.guy said:
No. I did. To be fair, that is a gross generalization, but few secularists go to as much length to "cure" homosexuality. Some idiots don't know the meaning of the word "no", but stupidity is sprinkled across mankind quite liberally, regardless of creed, religion, philosophy, shoe size, etc.

Here's the thing: the definition of "masculinity" is entirely socially reletive. Am i losing masculine points if i take up knitting? Many would say i would be, it being women's work and all, right? To say that masculinity is going down is to say there is a scale with which to measure exactly how manly i may or may not be. It's a cultural standard, subject to change and mutation (kinda like evolution). The perfect alpha male, by a natural biologists definition, can exist but that's irrelevent here. I used that term here as the absolute (perceived) measure of masculine social behaviour. To demonstrate dominance, an alpha male eliminates threats to his position; this is my account on homophobia. Homosexuals often represent a social challenge to dogma by insisting that they be suffered. Any male wishing to distinguish himself need only reference "common sense" as to whether anyone in his sights deviates from acceptable, social norms and respond with the weight his sense of social justice requires. With the threat neutralized, the alpha male can return to the herd in glory knowing that he has actively protected all from the un-normal.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, nor do i think you're being contrary or false. But i definately believe that you give too little value to the homophobics incentives.
erm, i really do not have a clue how to respond to this - and i dont mean that in a "i dont like what your saying" kinda way. its like a cross between my sociology teacher and a rolph harris documentry :biglaugh:

anyway, no i dont heed much attention or value the acts of homophobic men. i think that the people who are homophobic in my college are the ones who will bully everyoen for something, my homosexuality is just the most obvious

but quite frankly, i dont read too much into homophobia, all i need to know is that when someone is staring at me with a look of complete menace on their face, they've got their three cornies hanging around the snooker table, and the bar mans pulling the expensive bottles off the shelves and putting them behind the bar, its time for me to run :)

C_P

Ulver

corrupt_preist said:
but quite frankly, i dont read too much into homophobia

I know what you mean.... but I think Mr. Guy is really getting at something here.

Ever since the enlightenment we have found that to have an understanding of the hows and whys of our surroundings is the best way to improve our lives. Thereofore it makes sense to understand homophobia if we are to dis-courage it in society. Just saying the slogan "It's bad and intolerant" won't work as well as figuring what causes and sets it off and try to temper that down or prevent it.

np: Dimmu Borgir- Arcane Lifeforce Mysteria

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Ulver said:
I know what you mean.... but I think Mr. Guy is really getting at something here.

Ever since the enlightenment we have found that to have an understanding of the hows and whys of our surroundings is the best way to improve our lives. Thereofore it makes sense to understand homophobia if we are to dis-courage it in society. Just saying the slogan "It's bad and intolerant" won't work as well as figuring what causes and sets it off and try to temper that down or prevent it.

np: Dimmu Borgir- Arcane Lifeforce Mysteria
tis a valid point, but ill leave the studying of homophobia to those who want to study it :)