• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is being gay considered wrong?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Fluffy said:
I have to admit that I do find such a belief slightly odd. Science is racing forward faster during this time than at any previous period in history. Do you not think there is a high chance, as we understand more and more about the brain, mind and genes, that we will understand sexuality and relatively soon?
yes science is racing forwards, bu ti dont think homosexuality will or can be explained through science and test tubes, it just seems cold and emotionless to me - but im not at all discrediting the advances in science

C_P

Uncertaindrummer

Draka said:
Everything about our body is determined in the brain. We are "hard-wired" a certain way. Love and sexuality is in the brain. For example:

The majority of people are born right handed, this being because there is a certain part of the brain on the left side (which control the right side of the body) that determines dominance. If for some reason the part of the left side of the brain stops forming before dominance is determined then another part of the brain on the right side picks up the trait of dominance and thus you have left handedness. The parts of the brain form at different rates while in the womb and this accounts for the differences. Sometimes parts of the brain stop forming during the formation of traits and the formation is continued elsewhere and hence we have ambidextrousness.

Now look at this in the view of sexuality. Sexuality is determined in the brain as well. Therefore if the part that determines heterosexuality stops forming before that is determined then another part of the brain picks up sexuality and results in a different sexual orientation. Making homosexuality just as normal as left-handedness, which is also why the basic percentage of the population that is left-handed is about the same as homosexual...because things like that happen to only a certain percentage of people. It is a normal thing that happens during brain formation in the womb.

Along those lines then, if you believe that "God" made you the way you are supposed to be, then "God" made gays.
Haven't read the whole thread but this argument hodls no water, since one can change one's "handedness". Also, being gay isn't wrong. Practicing homsexual acts is wrong.

As for the original question, the majority believe this because the majority are Christians.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
You can improve the use of your right or left hand, but you will always left handed, right handed, or ambidextrous.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Uncertaindrummer said:
Haven't read the whole thread but this argument hodls no water, since one can change one's "handedness". Also, being gay isn't wrong. Practicing homsexual acts is wrong.

As for the original question, the majority believe this because the majority are Christians.
That's right! Practicing homosexual acts is wrong! You should get it right the first time! :D

Shall we discuss the idea of "majority rule" in this thread, or another?

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Seyorni said:
Sorry, Priest. I certainly wasn't trying to insult ewe by implying that your mum was
unbalanced -- :biglaugh:

This gestational phenomenon has been known for a long time. I'm not claiming that 1st trimester hormonal changes are the cause of homosexuality. There could be a thousand causes. I'm just claiming that it's possible to effect adult sexual orientation in utero.

I'll try to find a reference for you.
There was another one too, which has to do with a lack of nutrition of some sort in utero. Aparently in the case of twins where one was homosexual, it was always the one with the lower birth weight.
I'm not sure how valid it is...just something I read in passing and didn't look into any further.
Just as an aside, I went looking for what I was mentioning above, and stumbled across this page: http://home.netcom.com/~masonc/homosexuality.html#CHAP11 .
I haven't read the whole thing yet (despite the fact that one of the first things it says on the page is 'partial reading is discouraged), but what I have read is interesting. No doubt plenty of people wont like it, and it is a little dated (1978), but shows that even 27 years ago there were people who considered - and studies that supported - that homosexuality was not something that the homosexual has any control over.

Uncertaindrummer

FeathersinHair said:
That's right! Practicing homosexual acts is wrong! You should get it right the first time! :D

Shall we discuss the idea of "majority rule" in this thread, or another?
lol, picky picky

Anyway, I am not saying that it should be this way. The question was why. I answered. lol

Uncertaindrummer

Jensa said:
You can improve the use of your right or left hand, but you will always left handed, right handed, or ambidextrous.
Not true. My cousin was born left handed. Wrote left handed, threw balls left handed, etc. She broke her collarbone and was forced to use her right hand and it is now her dominant hand.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Which doesn't change that she was born left handed. Being forced to change the hand you use the most doesn't make you right handed (if you were first left handed).

Which doesn't have a lot to do with why homosexuality is(n't) wrong ;) "Because God said so" doesn't cut it for nonChristians.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Uncertaindrummer said:
Anyway, I am not saying that it should be this way. The question was why. I answered. lol
Good point. I assumed from your comment that you thought that it was right, and I apologize.

Uncertaindrummer

Jensa said:
Which doesn't change that she was born left handed. Being forced to change the hand you use the most doesn't make you right handed (if you were first left handed).

Which doesn't have a lot to do with why homosexuality is(n't) wrong ;) "Because God said so" doesn't cut it for nonChristians.
No, she is right handed now. She can't do things with her left hand and she can with her right. Saying she isn't right-handed is bull-headed.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Try reading what I said. Being forced to change what hand she writes with, due to an injury for example, doesn't mean she isn't left handed. It just means she has to write with her right hand.

Uncertaindrummer

Jensa said:
Try reading what I said. Being forced to change what hand she writes with, due to an injury for example, doesn't mean she isn't left handed. It just means she has to write with her right hand.
The injury occured over fifteen years ago, and she still uses her right hand for EVERYTHING that we associated "handedness" with, while she CAN'T use her left hand. What other possible definition of handedness could there be?

IndigoChild

Uncertaindrummer said:
The injury occured over fifteen years ago, and she still uses her right hand for EVERYTHING that we associated "handedness" with, while she CAN'T use her left hand. What other possible definition of handedness could there be?
This is a moot point... handedness is a learned behavior, which is why it can be changed. Sexuality has already been PROVEN to be the result of DIFFERENCES IN THE BRAIN that cannot be changed. Sure, one could be born gay and be raised in such a way that they force themselves to live as heterosexuals, but ultimately they will always know on some level that it is a lie.

Kat

IndigoChild

PS = It works the other way, too. I believe a lot of these people who claim to have been converted to heterosexuality were not really gay to begin with... ie, the brain difference either didn't exist or was too slight to really truly alter their sexuality, so in the cases of these individuals, the lie was being gay. But usually it is the other way around.

Kat

Uncertaindrummer

IndigoChild said:
This is a moot point... handedness is a learned behavior, which is why it can be changed. Sexuality has already been PROVEN to be the result of DIFFERENCES IN THE BRAIN that cannot be changed. Sure, one could be born gay and be raised in such a way that they force themselves to live as heterosexuals, but ultimately they will always know on some level that it is a lie.

Kat
Exactly! Hadnedness is a LEARNED behavior! For those who didn't realize it, I wasn't comparing homosexuality to handedness, someone ELSE was (can't even remember who) mistakenly. I don't think the analogy fits at all, which was my point.

However, I was not aware it has been PROVEN that it is the result of differences in the brain... I am always skeptical of statements such as these. Do you have documentation of this so called "proof"? Because I have also heard that this is NOT the case. Not that it really changes my opinion on anything, I'm just curious.

IndigoChild

Uncertaindrummer said:
Exactly! Hadnedness is a LEARNED behavior! For those who didn't realize it, I wasn't comparing homosexuality to handedness, someone ELSE was (can't even remember who) mistakenly. I don't think the analogy fits at all, which was my point.

However, I was not aware it has been PROVEN that it is the result of differences in the brain... I am always skeptical of statements such as these. Do you have documentation of this so called "proof"? Because I have also heard that this is NOT the case. Not that it really changes my opinion on anything, I'm just curious.
I always have a hard time remembering where I read or saw things, but this one in particular has been documented in several dozen places, so I'm sure someone who is not lazy like I am can supply links to it. If I am feeling a little less lazy, I may even Google it.

Kat