• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam?

Aquitaine

well thank you very much, see we have facts and evidence that a woman being married to 2 or more men does not work, where as a man being married to 2 or more women does work.

thanks for your supporting post UV. :D

Facts and evidence ey? Care to provide me with some facts and evidence that suggests Polygyny works but Polyandry does not - bear in mind, when it comes to facts and evidence, I'm referring to scientific research with credible results and indications, not Koran/Hadith verses or speculation.

Aquitaine

sorry sorry my bad. :help:

well thank you very much, see we have facts and evidence that a woman being married to 2 or more men does not work, where as a man being married to 2 or more women does work.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

hey you stole my post? you are soposed to post a link to the source remember lol :D

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Zhakir,

Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam?

Well, whatever maybe the reason.
Marrying even one is not needed for my self.
Aloneness gives me the completeness required.

Love & rgds

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If there's a population shortage, we always have sperm donors. There'll be the same amount of Women producing babies, except they'll have their own Monogamous Husband to go with it. It's a win-win situation.
We do have sperm donors, but that wasn't the case when the members of my Church practiced polygamy (back in the mid- to late-1800s). Also, it was a matter of physical support. There weren't always enough men to go around, and it was better for a woman to be married to a man who already had another wife than to try to survive on her own.

Aquitaine

We do have sperm donors, but that wasn't the case when the members of my Church practiced polygamy (back in the mid- to late-1800s). Also, it was a matter of physical support. There weren't always enough men to go around, and it was better for a woman to be married to a man who already had another wife than to try to survive on her own.

Well then why did the Mormons civil tactics evolve then? How come they don't practice it anymore? Because it isn't needed.

So, what the Mormons (and everyone for that matter) should have done was allow Women Economic independence so they could survive on their own.

If Polygyny was truely the best way, then they'd still be doing it even today.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Well then why did the Mormons civil tactics evolve then? How come they don't practice it anymore? Because it isn't needed.

So, what the Mormons (and everyone for that matter) should have done was allow Women Economic independence so they could survive on their own.

Polygyny, or Polygamy?

Bismillah

Submit
Paul I'm not sure, but are you going to post anything in refutation of my last post? If not then I can move on to Polyandry.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well then why did the Mormons civil tactics evolve then?
I'm not sure what you mean by the "Mormons' civil tactics." The federal government made it illegal to practice polygamy and threatened to confiscate the Church's property if the Church didn't discontinue the practice.

How come they don't practice it anymore? Because it isn't needed.
Oh, okay. Somehow I thought it was because the federal government made it illegal and threatened the Church if it did not comply. I guess you know better, though.

Actually, the practice did give many women in Utah opportunities for higher education that they would not have had otherwise. One wife would stay home and care for the children while the other one went to college. Back in the mid-1800's, not many women in the U.S. got college educations, especially not those living in frontier communities. Polygamy made that possible.

Except that the federal government made it illegal and threatened the Church if it did not comply. ;)

blackout

Violet.
Actually, the practice did give many women in Utah opportunities for higher education that they would not have had otherwise. One wife would stay home and care for the children while the other one went to college. Back in the mid-1800's, not many women in the U.S. got college educations, especially not those living in frontier communities. Polygamy made that possible.

See...This is one example of why I am for polyamorous families.

I would love to have both a husband and a wife.
Or even a couple of each.
A greater ratio of grownups to children,
and adults who love each other and work together as a team
in a world where 3 and a half full time jobs isn't enough
to raise a family of 3 or 4 kids.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
See...This is one example of why I am for polyamorous families.

I would love to have both a husband and a wife.
Or even a couple of each.
A greater ratio of grownups to children,
and adults who love each other and work together as a team
in a world where 3 and a half full time jobs isn't enough
to raise a family of 3 or 4 kids.

well you see islam has the solution, so why does everyone complain about polygamy?

blackout

Violet.
well you see islam has the solution, so why does everyone complain about polygamy?

I would only complain about selective polygamy.

Where women are not afforded the same rights as men,
and where bisexual, homosexual and multi-partner relations are banned.

This is why I prefer the term polyamory.
It is all inclusive, and open in relation to partner formations.

Islam's version of polygamy is a discriminatory and exclusivist 'solution'.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I would only complain about selective polygamy.

Where women are not afforded the same rights as men,
and where bisexual, homosexual and multi-partner relations are banned.

This is why I prefer the term polyamory.
It is all inclusive, and open in relation to partner formation.

Islam has a discriminatory and exclusivist solution.

yes you are right about the bisexual or homo sexual stuff, they are not permitted in islam.

anything that is harmful, is not liked in islam thats why it prohibits many things.

blackout

Violet.
yes you are right about the bisexual or homo sexual stuff, they are not permitted in islam.

anything that is harmful, is not liked in islam thats why it prohibits many things.

It's always so nice when some people decide that other people's love relationships are harmful for them. :rolleyes:

And then proceed to ban them. :sarcastic

EverChanging

I have no problem with the idea of having more than one spouse so long as all involved are consenting and the relationships work for all involved, but I see no need to restrict the women involved (if any -- not all people are heterosexual) to only one partner. I am in favor of polyamory -- not for everyone, but for those who find that their polyamorous way of life is meaningful, loving, and fulfilling.

Aquitaine

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Mormons' civil tactics." The federal government made it illegal to practice polygamy and threatened to confiscate the Church's property if the Church didn't discontinue the practice.
[/FONT]

Oh, okay. Somehow I thought it was because the federal government made it illegal and threatened the Church if it did not comply. I guess you know better, though.

Except that the federal government made it illegal and threatened the Church if it did not comply. ;)

Did the Mormons practice Polygamy or Polygyny/andry?

Personally, I'm not too fussed about Polyamory, it's just the fact that Islam only permits Polygyny, and not Polyandry. If they permitted both, I honestly would not be on this thread right now ^_^