• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam?

Aquitaine

Somebody please present me some good reasons why Polygyny, but not Poygandry should be permitted?

So far, the only reason I can think of is because of personal greed on behalf of the males.

gwk230

Somebody please present me some good reasons why Polygyny, but not Poygandry should be permitted?

So far, the only reason I can think of is because of personal greed on behalf of the males.

In my understanding, There isn't any reasons for one practice to be over another if one chooses not to abide by the Torah.

Aquitaine

C'mon, anybody?

I was hoping to start a new debate about Polygyny in Islam here..... there's gotta be someone here who'll join in?

Fatihah, Ghostaka,.lava, Zhakir, not4me, Peace, Chuck Norris??

Anyone?

:sad4:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
C'mon, anybody?

I was hoping to start a new debate about Polygyny in Islam here..... there's gotta be someone here who'll join in?

Fatihah, Ghostaka,.lava, Zhakir, not4me, Peace, Chuck Norris??

Anyone?

:sad4:

I think that women should have their own harems. We should live in a society that sees females as superior and basically Divine. We govern the law and society and choose which men should father our children. These men live in the harems and only leave to do jobs and labour.:yes:

What do y'all think? :D

Aquitaine

I think that women should have their own harems. We should live in a society that sees females as superior and basically Divine. We govern the law and society and choose which men should father our children. These men live in the harems and only leave to do jobs and labour.:yes:

What do y'all think? :D

Pffft, how about you get back in the kitchen and start cooking?

What d'ya think?

:p

LOL!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Pffft, how about you get back in the kitchen and start cooking?

What d'ya think?

:p

LOL!

Come on Paul, you know you want in on my idea. Don't be shy now!
And hey, in my society you can choose between being a boy toy or a domestic god. Of course, if you lived in my harem you'd be both, because a man cooking, cleaning, ironing etc. is a huge turn on :D

Aquitaine

Come on Paul, you know you want in on my idea. Don't be shy now!
And hey, in my society you can choose between being a boy toy or a domestic god. Of course, if you lived in my harem you'd be both, because a man cooking, cleaning, ironing etc. is a huge turn on :D

Hmmmmmm..........

<*damn, Madhuri makes a tempting proposition......*>

I'll...... consider it....... later.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
A wife refusing her husband a co-wife
Is there any ruling that says in a marraige contract that a wife can refuse her husband a co-wife?

Praise be to Allaah.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his book Al-Mughni:
&#8220;If he married her on the condition that he should not make her move from her house or her city, then this condition is valid, because it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: &#8216;The most deserving of conditions to be fulfilled are those by means of which sexual intercourse becomes permissible for you.&#8217; If he married her on the condition that he will not marry another wife, then she has the right to leave him if he does take another wife.&#8221; In conclusion, then, the conditions of the marriage contract are divided into three types, one of which must be adhered to, which is of benefit to the wife, such as her being able to stipulate that he cannot make her move from her house or city, or travel with him, or take another wife or a concubine. He has to adhere to these conditions, and if he does not, then she has the right to annul the marriage.&#8221; (Al-Mughni by Ibn Qudaamah, part 7, Kitaab al-Nikaah).
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked this question and he replied in Al-Fataawa al-Kubra:
&#8220;Question: a man married a woman and she stipulated that he should not take another wife or make her move from her house, and that she could stay with her mother, so he married her on this basis. Does he have to adhere to this, and if he goes against these conditions, does his wife have the right to annul the marriage or not?
Answer: yes, these conditions and similar ones are valid according to the madhhab of Imaam Ahmad and other scholars among the Sahaabah and Taabi&#8217;een, such as &#8216;Umar ibn al-Khattaab, &#8216;Amr ibn al-&#8216;Aas, Shurayh al-Qaadi, al-Oozaa&#8217;i and Ishaaq. According to the madhhab of Maalik, the condition states that if he marries another wife, (the first wife) has the choice of what to do, and this is a valid condition. The woman has the right to leave him in this case. This is similar to the idea in the Madhhab of Imaam Ahmad. The basis for this is the hadeeth narrated by (al-Bukhaari and Muslim) in al-Saheehayn from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): &#8216;The most deserving of conditions to be fulfilled are those by means of which sexual intercourse becomes permissible for you.&#8217; &#8216;Umar ibn al-Khattaab said: &#8216;Rights are in accordance with conditions.&#8217; The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) dictated that the conditions which make sexual intercourse permissible are more deserving of fulfilment than others. This is the ruling on conditions of this nature.&#8221;​

does that kind of help anyone?

Aquitaine

A wife refusing her husband a co-wife

Is there any ruling that says in a marraige contract that a wife can refuse her husband a co-wife?

Praise be to Allaah.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his book Al-Mughni:
“If he married her on the condition that he should not make her move from her house or her city, then this condition is valid, because it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The most deserving of conditions to be fulfilled are those by means of which sexual intercourse becomes permissible for you.’ If he married her on the condition that he will not marry another wife, then she has the right to leave him if he does take another wife.” In conclusion, then, the conditions of the marriage contract are divided into three types, one of which must be adhered to, which is of benefit to the wife, such as her being able to stipulate that he cannot make her move from her house or city, or travel with him, or take another wife or a concubine. He has to adhere to these conditions, and if he does not, then she has the right to annul the marriage.” (Al-Mughni by Ibn Qudaamah, part 7, Kitaab al-Nikaah).
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked this question and he replied in Al-Fataawa al-Kubra:
“Question: a man married a woman and she stipulated that he should not take another wife or make her move from her house, and that she could stay with her mother, so he married her on this basis. Does he have to adhere to this, and if he goes against these conditions, does his wife have the right to annul the marriage or not?
Answer: yes, these conditions and similar ones are valid according to the madhhab of Imaam Ahmad and other scholars among the Sahaabah and Taabi’een, such as ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab, ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas, Shurayh al-Qaadi, al-Oozaa’i and Ishaaq. According to the madhhab of Maalik, the condition states that if he marries another wife, (the first wife) has the choice of what to do, and this is a valid condition. The woman has the right to leave him in this case. This is similar to the idea in the Madhhab of Imaam Ahmad. The basis for this is the hadeeth narrated by (al-Bukhaari and Muslim) in al-Saheehayn from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): ‘The most deserving of conditions to be fulfilled are those by means of which sexual intercourse becomes permissible for you.’ ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab said: ‘Rights are in accordance with conditions.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) dictated that the conditions which make sexual intercourse permissible are more deserving of fulfilment than others. This is the ruling on conditions of this nature.”

does that kind of help anyone?

What happens if a Husband refuses his Wife a co-Husband?

Bismillah

Submit
Sorry for the late response. Swim practice, homework, and college applications are killing me, though I think I managed a suitable response to your post. )(

I see they, again, blame the negative Islamic practices on the "cultures of the time".
Why do you define the practice of polygamy and others as practices confined to Islam? It is a stated fact that they were and are (in some cases) present in the Judeo-Christian tradition as well. Do you selectively apply your critiques? It was the practice of the time, you cannot deny history.

Not justifying either Polygyny, or Mo's relationship with a child
You are comparing two irrelevant figures from today's society to that of Medieval Arabia. 9 year old seems shockingly young for a society that enjoys life expectancies in the 80s, whereas in Arabia it was in the 50s and 40s. This would put Aisha, comparatively, in her late teens according to today's figures. Let alone the fact that women in Arabia are show[/] to menstruate earlier and age quicker then women in Europe. Thus this along with the belief that boys and girls are adults once they reach puberty negates any arguments of "child molestation".

[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]"Pedophile: also spelled PEDOPHILIA, psychosexual disorder in which an adult's arousal and sexual gratification occur primarily through sexual contact with prepubescent children. The typical pedophile is unable to find satisfaction in an adult sexual relationship and may have low self-esteem, seeing sexual activity with a child as less threatening than that with an adult." Encyclopedia Britannica, 1998[/FONT][/FONT]

This definition in regards to Muhammad (PBUH), does not apply at all.

Name of BrideBride's age at marriage
Khadija bint Khawilad 40 Twice widowed before
Sauda bint Zama 50 Widow
Aisha bint Abu Bakr 9 Started living with the prophet at the age of 9
Hafsa bint Umar bin Khattab 22 Widow
Zainab bint Khuzaima 30
Umm-I-Salma bint Abu Umayia 26 Widow
Zainab Bint Jahash 38 Widow
Juwaeria Bint Harith 20 Widow
Umm-I-Habiba bint Abu Sufyan 36 Widow
Marya Qibtiya bint Shamun 17 Virgin Egyptian
Safia bint Hayi bin Akhtab 17 Widow
Raihana bint Umru bin Hanafa Not available
Maimuna bint Harith 36 Widow

91% of the Women the Prophet did marry were 17 years or older.

75% of his wives were widows.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]The statistics show that the prophet&#8217;s marriage to Aisha at her young age was an exception and not a norm of his other marriages. Furthermore 'a pedophile&#8217;s main mode of sexual satisfaction is with prepubescent girls', which is contradictory to the 91% of prophet&#8217;s marriage to women 17 years and over. An unbiased examination of Prophet&#8217;s life and his marriages to his wives blatantly rejects the notion of his lifestyle fitting that of a pedophile. All his brides were aged widows (except Aisha and Marium). [/FONT][/FONT]

[http://www.beautifulislam.net/women/young_aishah.htm]

It is important to know that girls during the Biblical and Islamic days used to be married off at young ages when they either had their first periods, or their breasts became noticeable. The rule for men was different because physical power and the ability of living an independent life had always been a mandatory requirement for men to have in life. So men waited much longer than women in terms of getting married. that is why girls as young as 9 or 10 were married to men as old as 30 or even older.

The main criticisms come from Islamic Hadiths that claim that Muhammed consumated his marriage with Aisha.

For example

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64
That the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).
However once this Hadith is looked with the substitution of Arabic words then the meaning changes a great deal.

where is in Muslim polygamy, many of the women can wake up one day to find out the husband has decided to get another wife for himself.
'Aishah, may God be pleased with her, narrated that the Prophet was betrothed (zawaj) to her when she was six years old and he consummated (nikah) his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years. (Saheeh al-Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64)
Then you have to ascertain does Nikah mean sexual relations between the husband and wife?

ZAWAJ.COM: Articles and Essays

It is then shown that consummation, at least in this context, does not have any sexual references. The word consummation was chosen because it is the formal fufilement of a document or contract. The only reason the sexual meaning is used frequently is the Christian cultural view that marriage is consummated when the grooms engage in sex for the first time. (Consummation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Then the sexual meanings that you take from the misinterpreted Hadith are not applicable at all.

The standards of todays society cannot be applied 1400 years ago. It was the custom of the time to marry your children early before they succumbed to disease and death. For example the parents of Prophet Muhammad, himself, peace be upon him died natural deaths before he even knew them. His father, Abdallah bin Hashem, died while Amina bint Wahb (Amy in English as Mary for Mariam), Muhammad's mother was still pregnant with Muhammad. After she gave birth, she died when he was 2 years old (I believe). Muhammad was the only child of his parents.

Since it is the custom not just of Arabia, but the majority of societies past to marry children off at an early age. Are you asserting that every single on of these men was subconsciously a pedophile? If Prophet Muhammed did engage in such sick activities, God forbid, then why would have married Aisha? Wouldn't it be simpler to engage in such activities and leave her to cope? That is what the majority of Pedophiles do, they never invest the time, nourishment, and love the Prophet did on his beloved wife.

Finally the marriage was legal since the intention (niyat) of Prophet Muhammad was just and righteous. Here is a list of the benefits of the marriage for Islam and Muslim Society.

Bismillah

Submit
Continued

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]The Prophet married Aisha primarily for three reasons:
  • To reinforce the friendly relations already existing with Abu Bakr (his closest companion).
  • To educate and train Aisha so she may serve the purposes of Islam.
  • To teach her to utilize her capabilities for the sake of Islam.

Her Marriage with the prophet was a Wahi (Divine Revelation). She, herself relates from the Prophet, &#8216;He said, "I saw you in dreams three times. The angel brought you to me and you were clad in white silk. He (the angel) said that it was your consort and he (angel) showed me by opening your face. You are just like that..." Sahih Muslim, Vol.2, p.285.
Aisha ® was born after her parents had embraced Islam. Therefore, she was free from the defilement of polytheism right from her birth.
In her youth, already known for her striking beauty and her formidable memory, she came under the loving care and attention of the Prophet himself. As his wife and close companion she acquired from him knowledge and insight such as no woman has ever acquired.
Aishah lived on almost fifty years after the passing away of the Prophet. She had been his wife for a decade. Much of this time was spent in learning and acquiring knowledge of the two most important sources of God's guidance, the Quran and the Sunnah of His Prophet. Aishah ® was one of the three wives (the other two being Hafsa ® and Umm Salamah ®) who memorized the Revelation. Like Hafsa ®, she had her own script of the Quran written after the Prophet had died.
So far as the Hadith or sayings of the Prophet is concerned, Aishah ® is one of four persons (the others being Abu Hurrah, Abdullah ibn Umar, and Ana ibn Malik) who transmitted more than two thousand sayings. From her, 2210 Hadith have come, out of which 174 Hadith are commonly agreed upon by both Bukhari and Muslim. Many of her transmissions pertain to some of the most intimate aspects of personal behavior which only someone in Aishah&#8217;s position could have learnt. What is most important is that her knowledge of Hadith was passed on in written form by at least three persons including her nephew Urwah who became one of the greatest scholars among the generation after the Companions. It is the claim of the Scholars of Islam that without her, half of the Ilm-I-Hadith [knowledge, understanding of the Hadith (and Islam)] would have perished.
Many of the learned companions of the Prophet and their followers benefited from Aishah's knowledge. Abu Musa al-Ashari once said: "If we companions of the Messenger of God had any difficulty on a matter, we asked Aisha about it."
"Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said from Said ibn al-Musayyab that Abu Musa al-Ashari came to Aishah, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and said to her, "The disagreement of the companions in a matter which I hate to bring before you has distressed me." She said, "What is that? You did not ask your mother about it, so ask me." He said, "A man penetrates his wife, but becomes listless and does not ejaculate. "She said, "When the circumcised part passes the circumcised part ghusl is obligatory." Abu Musa added, "I shall never ask anyone about this after you."
Al-Muwatta of Imam Malik Hadith 2.75 Arwa Bin Zubair says, "I did not find anyone more proficient (than Aisha ®) in the knowledge of the Holy Quran, the Commandments of Halal (lawful) and Haram (prohibited), Ilmul-Ansab and Arabic poetry. That is why, even senior companions of the Prophet used to consult Aisha ® in resolving intricate issued". Jala-ul-Afham by Ibn Qaiyem and Ibn Sa&#8217;ad, Vol.2, p.26
Abu Musa al-Ashari says: "Never had we (the companions) had any difficulty for the solution of which we approached Aisha and did not get some useful information from her". Sirat-I-Aisha, on the authority of Trimidhi, pg. 163
As a teacher she had a clear and persuasive manner of speech and her power of oratory has been described in superlative terms by al-Ahnaf who said: "I have heard speeches of Abu Bakr and Umar, Uthman and Ali and the Khulafa up to this day, but I have not heard speech more persuasive and more beautiful from the mouth of any person than from the mouth of Aishah." The Prophet said, "The superiority of 'Aisha to other ladies is like the superiority of Tharid (i.e. meat and bread dish) to other meals. Many men reached the level of perfection, but no woman reached such a level except Mary, the daughter of Imran and Asia, the wife of Pharaoh." Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith, Narrated by Abu Musa Al Ashari Hadith 4.643
Musa Ibn Talha ® says, "I did not see anyone more eloquent than Aisha ®" Mustadrak of Hakim, Vol.4,p.11
Men and women came from far and wide to benefit from her knowledge. Aisha&#8217;s great interest in the study of the Qur&#8217;an is understandable. She was an eye-witness to a number of revelations and had therefore a clear idea of the circumstances in which they were revealed. It was on her bed alone (and no other consort&#8217;s) that the Prophet received Wahi (Divine Revelations) several times. This helped her in interpreting the verses.
At the time of the Prophet&#8217;s death, the Prophet&#8217;s head was on her lap. It was in her quarters that the Prophet was buried.
[/FONT]
http://www.beautifulislam.net/women/young_aishah.htm

Aisha was essential to the furthering of Islamic knowledge and Jurisprudence. The Mother of all believes she is cherished as one of the most knowledgeable scholars of Islam and irrefutably her great understanding is due to the loving bond that Prophet Muhammad and Aisha shared.

It is easy to research the well meaning intentions and the many beneficial results of this marriage. It just requires objective research with you forgoing the biases you seem to have. I hope this helps and answers some of your questions.

Last edited:

Aquitaine

Abibi said:
Why do you define the practice of polygamy and others as practices confined to Islam? It is a stated fact that they were and are (in some cases) present in the Judeo-Christian tradition as well. Do you selectively apply your critiques? It was the practice of the time, you cannot deny history.

I don't. It's just that since this thread is about Islam......

Also, again you say it was the practice of the time, but we're taling about God's right-hand man here, yet he still decides to submit to Cultural norms of the time.

You are comparing two irrelevant figures from today's society to that of Medieval Arabia. 9 year old seems shockingly young for a society that enjoys life expectancies in the 80s, whereas in Arabia it was in the 50s and 40s. This would put Aisha, comparatively, in her late teens according to today's figures. Let alone the fact that women in Arabia are show[/] to menstruate earlier and age quicker then women in Europe. Thus this along with the belief that boys and girls are adults once they reach puberty negates any arguments of "child molestation".

Nonesense, you've gotta be kidding me?
It's child molestation, accept it.
The problem is, again that this is the example set by God's representative of Humanity, and present day Islam bases it's teachings off such things. As for Arabic girls maturing faster, and being considered "teenagers" at that age back then, I disagree - there is a Hadith reference that shows Aisha playing with her toys - do teenagers/fully matured Women play with toys? No, children do.

The statistics show that the prophet’s marriage to Aisha at her young age was an exception and not a norm of his other marriages.

So? It doesn't change the fact that he married and slept with a child. Also, notice how many wives he had...... now how many are permitted per Male in Islam?

It is important to know that girls during the Biblical and Islamic days used to be married off at young ages when they either had their first periods, or their breasts became noticeable. The rule for men was different because physical power and the ability of living an independent life had always been a mandatory requirement for men to have in life. So men waited much longer than women in terms of getting married. that is why girls as young as 9 or 10 were married to men as old as 30 or even older.

Again, you're blaming the actions of Allah's Apostle on the Cultural standards of the time - this is something I've been mentioning quite alot here.

Then you have to ascertain does Nikah mean sexual relations between the husband and wife?

There's only so much you can hide behind translations, it obivously tells of him having sex with her, and therefore consummating his marriage.

It is then shown that consummation, at least in this context, does not have any sexual references. The word consummation was chosen because it is the formal fufilement of a document or contract. The only reason the sexual meaning is used frequently is the Christian cultural view that marriage is consummated when the grooms engage in sex for the first time.

Oh here we go, another "Arabic has 10,000 different translations for each word" approach.

The standards of todays society cannot be applied 1400 years ago.

Yes but it's not that average people did it 1400 years ago, it's that the perfect mdel Human, and God's representative of the species did that 1400 years ago.

It was the custom of the time to marry your children early before they succumbed to disease and death. For example the parents of Prophet Muhammad, himself, peace be upon him died natural deaths before he even knew them. His father, Abdallah bin Hashem, died while Amina bint Wahb (Amy in English as Mary for Mariam), Muhammad's mother was still pregnant with Muhammad. After she gave birth, she died when he was 2 years old (I believe). Muhammad was the only child of his parents.

Again, you're blaming it all on the Cultural norms of the time.

If Prophet Muhammed did engage in such sick activities, God forbid, then why would have married Aisha? Wouldn't it be simpler to engage in such activities and leave her to cope? That is what the majority of Pedophiles do, they never invest the time, nourishment, and love the Prophet did on his beloved wife.

Erm, he did engage in such sick activities; he married and slept with a child. As for why he married her, I don't know, maybe he wanted to add to his already excessive collection of wives, and wanted a young one for personal greed.

It is easy to research the well meaning intentions and the many beneficial results of this marriage. It just requires objective research with you forgoing the biases you seem to have. I hope this helps and answers some of your questions.

Bias? C'mon, I'm observing what I see in Islamic texts, he married what..... 11 Women, and married a child - no matter how hard you try to twist it, you cannot deny such things happened.

Last edited: