• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why incompetent people think they're amazing

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've read so many arguments on these forums that go absolutely nowhere, and I have observed (goodness, how I've observed!) how often people actually think they know what they're talking about, when they don't, and how often those who do know what they're talking about can't understand how others aren't getting it!

Here's a very nice little Ted Talk (5 minutes, that's all) on the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Every one of us here could learn something by taking just five little minutes to watch. And learning is not an evil thing, trust me.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I've read so many arguments on these forums that go absolutely nowhere, and I have observed (goodness, how I've observed!) how often people actually think they know what they're talking about, when they don't, and how often those who do know what they're talking about can't understand how others aren't getting it!

Here's a very nice little Ted Talk (5 minutes, that's all) on the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Every one of us here could learn something by taking just five little minutes to watch. And learning is not an evil thing, trust me.

I have fairly low self esteem. My dad always told me I was stupid growing up.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
All sorts of people will tell you all sorts of things about yourself. They won't all be right. Best thing you can do is listen to what they say, and then ask yourself why they may have said it. I've had people tell me that I was stupid for no other reason than that I didn't agree with them. You can see the hidden message in that -- that since they had already assumed that they themselves (without evidence) had to be correct, I must be stupid because I disagreed. And wow, how often they were wrong!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I used to think I was perfect --- but then, tragically, I made a mistake! I thought I'd been wrong about something I said, and turned out I was right after all. :p:rolleyes:

Cooky

Veteran Member
All sorts of people will tell you all sorts of things about yourself. They won't all be right. Best thing you can do is listen to what they say, and then ask yourself why they may have said it. I've had people tell me that I was stupid for no other reason than that I didn't agree with them. You can see the hidden message in that -- that since they had already assumed that they themselves (without evidence) had to be correct, I must be stupid because I disagreed. And wow, how often they were wrong!

A lot of parents tend to bloat their childrens ego's... I do it with mine, to compensate for my own losses growing up.

...It's probably a generational teeter-todder in my family, because I'm pretty sure he was praised growing up.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sometimes I can't tell the difference between what I can do, what I can't do (justified excuses), what's practical (resources), or I just need a kick in the butt* multiple times to keep going (energy and discipline).

Not sure what I'm skilled at. I get bored easily.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I must've been really bright cuz my father called me "Sunny".
Or was it "Sonny"? Dang, that changes everything.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Its the formula for success these days.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I once thought I was an expert about the Dunning-Krueger. Then I learned more and found out I wasn't.