• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why ignore another member?

Would you put another member on ignore?

• Yes

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sometimes I see that "ignored member" has posted a message or I see answers to posts that aren't displayed.
Yes one can see if an ignored member starts a thread, though one does not see the content. So far as I am aware, one can't see when they make a post on an existing thread. All you see is that there is "ignored content", which you can click on to find out whose it is. Generally I don't do that;).

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I see that "ignored member" has posted a message or I see answers to posts that aren't displayed.

Interesting. I've never used the function, but that would be more annoying to me than not ignoring the person.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes one can see if an ignored member starts a thread, though one does not see the content. So far as I am aware, one can't see when they make a post on an existing thread. All you see is that there is "ignored content", which you can click on to find out whose it is. Generally I don't do that;).

It makes me wonder how many succumb to that temptation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I tried putting one or two people on ignore, but I find that curiosity always gets the better of me. Although if I did put someone on ignore, I wouldn't tell them. I would just do it.

It takes practice. I only have one person on ignore. The member doesn't talk to me near any anyhow. All the people I severely disagree with (either because I read them wrong or didn't like how they structured their argument) I just don't answer read their posts. But I do sneak a peak once in a blue moon especially when I want to know the conversation on the thread. Maybe get a cookie instead?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I tried putting one or two people on ignore, but I find that curiosity always gets the better of me. Although if I did put someone on ignore, I wouldn't tell them. I would just do it.

That's my biggest annoyance, actually. Telling people they put me on ignore. Sounds like a "I got you back" type of thing. Just do it. I won't be mad at you.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It makes me wonder how many succumb to that temptation.
I sometimes do it, to get a fresh sample on the individual concerned. Usually it reconfirms my decision, though. The key point about it is that you have to make a conscious decision to look at the tripe they are probably writing, which immediately puts you in a more remote and detached frame of mind. That's enough to prevent you getting annoyed - which is the objective.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I tend to ignore those who I come to perceive as deeply disingenuous, aberrantly dogmatic, or mentally challenged. Yes, the result is that I often encounter frustrating gaps in threads of interest, but the frustration pales in comparison with the frustration and contempt that I would invite by wading through reams of predictable drivel.

The problem, of course, is that in some cases I may have been mistaken. A few years ago a purged my rather substantial ignore list and the result was, as I recall, underwhelming. Maybe I should do so again.

P.S.: I also often find myself using the mute button when Trump speaks.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have played around with the feature to see how it works, but I have never actually put anyone on ignore. I've claimed it and just ignored one poster while not actually putting them on ignore.
I've checked it out, & occasionally accidentally put friends on <ignore>.
It looks weird & uninformative.
Though, I know two people that have put me on ignore.
Anti-leporidites, no doubt.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm reminded of something I discovered upon taking up target shooting.
Looking thru the sights, my dominant eye saw clearly. But I ignored
my non-dominant eye....I chose to see only thru the dominant one.
This applies to posts. One can limit one's attention....know what's
there....see them only to the extent wanted. It works.

BTW, when you see some sniper on TV closing one eye when
they shoot....that's bogus. That takes effort, so it's fatiguing.
One cannot spend time practicing & competing while enduring
such a distraction. It's about effortless repeatability....shibumi.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
How strange ...

I just learned that that a former friend died yesterday. The news was posted on Facebook, and I stumbled upon it totally by accident.

I raise it here because I had "unfriended" him a few years ago and now find myself wishing that I had not done so. I can't help but wonder if I might have the same sense of misgiving (no matter how mild) if I were to discover that some notable person on my ignore-list has died. Interesting ... :(

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Years ago, I was very hesitant putting anyone on ignore until I read something by the Dalai Lama who said that because some may be so much the opposite of us that it might be best to keep our distance to avoid further conflict.

I mostly use ignore on a temporary basis in order to try to get out of a situation whereas I know nothing good is going to come out of it unless I walk away. I usually will take them off ignore after a couple of weeks or so. However, there's one person I have on ignore because I took him off probably about six or more times only to put him back on again-- we're WAY too much like oil & water.