• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why ignore another member?

Would you put another member on ignore?

• Yes

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been real tempted to a time or two...

But like @Vinayaka said, there's no need to use the feature to actually ignore someone.

Occasionally that I've thought of ignoring a member or two, as I tend to dislike most of their posts, or I find their attitude irritating. But, every once in awhile, even some of my lesser preferred members post something I enjoy reading, and it was worth it not to have ignored them to the extent of using the ignore feature.

I've also learned to ignore threads(rather than individuals) that look like they could go a way in which I wouldn't want to participate, or stop watching one that has taken a direction I dislike.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Would you put another member on ignore? If so, for what reason? If not, why not?

I have people on ignore who just post to air grievances and are continuously and personally insulting and negative in their responses. What is the point of continuing to be subjected to that kind of abuse? It benefits no one.

I can do without it.....I didn't join RF to be treated like a punching bag. They can air their grievances to whoever wants to listen to them.....people are free to do the same to me if they wish, though I try hard not to personally insult anyone. Its OK to disagree, but some people cannot do it agreeably.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you put another member on ignore? If so, for what reason? If not, why not?

I tried putting one or two people on ignore, but I find that curiosity always gets the better of me. Although if I did put someone on ignore, I wouldn't tell them. I would just do it.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have now "Ignored" my third member in the years that I've been here. And it always seems like a big deal.

Hell, I think I'm open-minded, and love debate, and I do. But there are things that are beyond debate, in my view. I don't ignore people who simply don't know much about topics in which I see myself as better informed. Rather, I try to use what I suppose to be my superior knowledge to teach. I don't ignore people whose political views differ from mine. I make my case, and if they make theirs, I'll read what they write. The same with religious views. These things are not rigorously deterministic, and therefore people have to find their own way within those disciplines.

I will, on the other hand, ignore somebody who insists, no matter argument is laid down, that 1 plus 1 equals 3. Here, I recognize I'm dealing with someone who simply can't understand the argument presented -- or doesn't want to, for whatever reason. In such a case, I have zero interest in trying to overcome such an attitude, and it seems to me best just not to have it disturb my line of sight anymore.

And it is also the same with people that I perceive as offering essentially hateful thoughts towards other people -- even if they are trying to disguise them under cover of some "philopophy" or other. People who simply hate other races, or other religions, or those who identify as other than vanilla straight sexuality. I see no purpose in further discussion with such, because I've observed for 72 years that they are not going to change their minds -- even for someone with arguments as brilliant and powerful as mine. :rolleyes:

In other words, I will ignore people online in the same way that I will not acknowledge people in my local who I know to be someone I simply do not wish to be associated with at all.

I have played around with the feature to see how it works, but I have never actually put anyone on ignore. I've claimed it and just ignored one poster while not actually putting them on ignore. Though, I know two people that have put me on ignore.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have people on ignore who just post to air grievances and are continuously and personally insulting and negative in their responses. What is the point of continuing to be subjected to that kind of abuse? It benefits no one.

I can do without it.....I didn't join RF to be treated like a punching bag. They can air their grievances to whoever wants to listen to them.....people are free to do the same to me if they wish, though I try hard not to personally insult anyone. Its OK to disagree, but some people cannot do it agreeably.
Am I still on ignore dear?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

I have no such hang ups. :D

Although it would be fun to see how many people ignore me seeing as I haven't any hang ups!

It would be a nice feature if people could see the ignore lists they are on and a reason why.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have now "Ignored" my third member in the years that I've been here. And it always seems like a big deal.

Hell, I think I'm open-minded, and love debate, and I do. But there are things that are beyond debate, in my view. I don't ignore people who simply don't know much about topics in which I see myself as better informed. Rather, I try to use what I suppose to be my superior knowledge to teach. I don't ignore people whose political views differ from mine. I make my case, and if they make theirs, I'll read what they write. The same with religious views. These things are not rigorously deterministic, and therefore people have to find their own way within those disciplines.

I will, on the other hand, ignore somebody who insists, no matter argument is laid down, that 1 plus 1 equals 3. Here, I recognize I'm dealing with someone who simply can't understand the argument presented -- or doesn't want to, for whatever reason. In such a case, I have zero interest in trying to overcome such an attitude, and it seems to me best just not to have it disturb my line of sight anymore.

And it is also the same with people that I perceive as offering essentially hateful thoughts towards other people -- even if they are trying to disguise them under cover of some "philopophy" or other. People who simply hate other races, or other religions, or those who identify as other than vanilla straight sexuality. I see no purpose in further discussion with such, because I've observed for 72 years that they are not going to change their minds -- even for someone with arguments as brilliant and powerful as mine. :rolleyes:

In other words, I will ignore people online in the same way that I will not acknowledge people in my local who I know to be someone I simply do not wish to be associated with at all.

Some people have the ability to incite me to tell them that 2 + 2 is not 5 in an unambiguous manner. Some people don't like that. It is better for the forum when I don't see what some people are posting.

A Vestigial Mote

I honestly could never care enough about someone's opinions, insults or even attempted harassment of me to put them on ignore. There is not a single thing that I can think of that could be said, or any number of times it could be said that would see me putting any poster on "ignore." I play a good part at appearing exasperated, but it is, truly, all for show. In reality I have patience the likes of which I am certain is unknown to many, and I do not find words alone particularly hurtful.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would not put a member on ignore. If the person is an adversary in belief, needling the person will be enjoyable. If the person is ignorant, then one can have some fun at his/her cost. I have put just one person on ignore but that was a suggestion from the Mods.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

I don't ignore anyone because I don't have any desire to.

All the JW's ignore me though. :shrug:

exchemist

Veteran Member

I use the Ignore function quite liberally, because there is red hair in my family and I consequently have a short temper. People who can't string a coherent argument together, or who persist in pushing stupid propaganda, or who have apparently ineradicable prejudices, or who are thick as two short planks, or who are just annoying for the sake of it, are liable to irritate me, which is not good for my state of mind. So I ignore them, to give myself a calmer experience on the forum.

My Ignore list has 45 people on it, some of whom I suspect are no longer active - but then I can't find out who without taking them off Ignore.;)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I use the Ignore function quite liberally, because there is red hair in my family and I consequently have a short temper. People who can't string a coherent argument together, or who persist in pushing stupid propaganda, or who have apparently ineradicable prejudices, or who are thick as two short planks, or who are just annoying for the sake of it, are liable to irritate me, which is not good for my state of mind. So I ignore them, to give myself a calmer experience on the forum.

My Ignore list has 45 people on it, some of whom I suspect are no longer active - but then I can't find out who without taking them off Ignore.;)
Sometimes I see that "ignored member" has posted a message or I see answers to posts that aren't displayed.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I see no need to use the software's ignore function. If I was allow anyone to affect my reality to the point where I feel the to do so, it's because of me, not because of them, and I would need to take a break from here and do some serious contemplation as to why I allowed that to happen.

That's not to say that there aren't members here that I ignore, but it's mostly either because they're toxic or their posts are of no value to me. I simply scroll past their posts.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something. ~ Plato