• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why i reject my first religion

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I was born in a family where we was Christian. Lutheran Christians. But i can not ever follow lutheran Christianity again, because Martin Luther was a antisemitism. He was not a good man. When i read what he wrote about jews, then i understood that lutheran Christianity is not the truth.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was born in a family where we was Christian. Lutheran Christians. But i can not ever follow lutheran Christianity again, because Martin Luther was a antisemitism. He was not a good man. When i read what he wrote about jews, then i understood that lutheran Christianity is not the truth.
What would you say is the path forward for you now, when it comes to faith and belief? If you thoughts of it yet :)

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I like to remember my roots, and allow many aspects of my family’s culture to live on through me... especially when I consider loved ones who have passed away, it keeps me connected to them and helps me find strength in ways I know they would approve.

Why do you think "Luther's writing of Jews" is the same as "Lutheran Christianity". I think "Lutheran Christianity" should be judged by what it teaches. However, I don't say you should be a Lutheran. I think best is to be a disciples of Jesus.

Audie

Veteran Member

Being human he had flaws.
Its not cause to discard all of human wisdom.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I was also raised Trinity Lutheran. I didn't reject it because of Luther's views (although he was certainly not a very pleasant person), but because of the views of Christianity in general.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
My first religion was Anglican Christianity, but I ended up Anglo-Catholic before leaving Christianity forever. I still have a lot of respect for Anglicanism.

Sir Joseph

Starlight94, I'd suggest that the selection of one's faith is too important to be based upon the character traits of one person. In the course of human history God has used the most unlikely, flawed individuals to accomplish his will. The Bible has many examples, but let's consider Martin Luther himself. Even if he was anti-Semitic, there's no denying that he had a huge impact on disrupting the Catholic Church's heretical doctrines. Despite his flawed character, he accomplished a Divine purpose of getting Christianity on the right path.

I think one's choice of religion should be based upon the evidence for it's foundational scriptures. In the case for Christianity, this includes its scientific foreknowledge, historical reliability, archaeological evidence, fulfilled prophesies, and manuscript authority proven through textual criticism No other world religion comes close to matching the criteria that the Bible demonstrates.

An open minded study of Christian apologetics will lead one to confidence in the Bible as God's revealed Word. One can accomplish this without delving into the various denominations or cults. In fact, you'll probably do better ignoring your Lutheran past and focusing on the evidence for God, the Bible's authority, and the Gospel message. Anyone can message me if you're interested in pursuing this.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Even if he was anti-Semitic,

Gonna stop you right there. The fact that he was anti-semitic negates any good he supposedly did. I'm sure members of the KKK say good things sometimes too, but their affiliation with their organization cancels it out. This goes beyond "oh he was flawed."

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But, what is religion really?

Is it what we try to obey?
Is it what we were raised as?
Is it just easier to say what we are of religion than to say "nothing"?
We are nothing.
What is religion?
Where we meet other people of the same thinking (maybe).
Something to do.
What?

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe everyone has the capacity to believe good things and bad things. I just don't understand the concept of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I believe it is most likely you were Christian in culture and not a real one.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Gonna stop you right there. The fact that he was anti-semitic negates any good he supposedly did. I'm sure members of the KKK say good things sometimes too, but their affiliation with their organization cancels it out. This goes beyond "oh he was flawed."

I believe one should find out if this teaching became part of the Lutheran church. I have never encountered it when I visited Lutheran churches.

Starlight

My first religion was Anglican Christianity, but I ended up Anglo-Catholic before leaving Christianity forever. I still have a lot of respect for Anglicanism.
Angelican Christianity was founded by Henrik 8. He was not a good man. He murdered many people.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Angelican Christianity was founded by Henrik 8. He was not a good man. He murdered many people.
Not true; Anglicanism wasn't made by any one man - but if you want to put it on one person, you'd need to choose Thomas Cranmer. Henry VIII was essentially still a Catholic, albeit a heretical one, when he died.

Starlight

Not true; Anglicanism wasn't made by any one man - but if you want to put it on one person, you'd need to choose Thomas Cranmer. Henry VIII was essentially still a Catholic, albeit a heretical one, when he died.
Oh i did not know that. I was wrong

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I also left my fundamentalist Lutheran synod in my mid-20's but mainly for its anti-science and its serious problems with racism at my local church. I didn't learn about the anti-Semitism part with Luther until later. Fortunately, that synod is quite different today.