• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I like science

danieldemol

Premium Member
Not sure if this belongs in a debate forum, but felt moved to mention.

I like science because in a world with competing mythology science gives us an independent measuring rod to determine which mythologies (if any) are in accordance with reality.

In short, I prefer to follow deductive processes of modern educated humans to the uninformed guesses and assertions of primitive religious people.

This has potential to give me nothing to discuss with those who reject science as a means to determining truth of a matter, as we would not be having common ground to move a discussion forward.

So how about you, love science, hate it or indifferent?

PureX

Veteran Member

I like science because in a world with competing mythology science gives us an independent measuring rod to determine which mythologies (if any) are in accordance with reality.
Mythologies are not supposed to "accord with reality". They are supposed to present truth in the form of allegory, metaphor, and symbolism. And by truth, I don't mean historical accuracy, I mean accumulated human wisdom. If you're applying science to mythology you are wasting your time, and misunderstanding them both.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Mythologies are not supposed to "accord with reality". They are supposed to present truth in the form of allegory, metaphor, and symbolism. And by truth, I don't mean historical accuracy, I mean accumulated human wisdom. If you're applying science to mythology you are wasting your time, and misunderstanding both.
Interesting point, but how did you decide mythology was not historical truth without applying science to it?

leov

In short, I prefer to follow deductive processes of modern educated humans to the uninformed guesses and assertions of primitive religious people.

This has potential to give me nothing to discuss with those who reject science as a means to determining truth of a matter, as we would not be having common ground to move a discussion forward.

i love it, because they have mysteries to solve, like this one
There's a Giant Mystery Hiding Inside Every Atom in the Universe | Live Science

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Interesting point, but how did you decide mythology was not historical truth without applying science to it?
Whether or not something is historically true does not matter to a really effective myth.

I've heard or read several different versions of the following story. Whether or not any of them are historically accurate or not is unimportant to the point the story makes. So:

A man known for his absolute honesty was sitting on a boulder one day. A woman ran up to him and begged for help. Rapists were after her. The man told her to conceal herself and then moved to another boulder. When the rapists ran up and demanded to know if he knew where the girl was he said "I've seen no one since I've been sitting here on this boulder".

This story was one answer to the question I once had about how someone can be honest in the world. The lesson that there are many ways of not lying the story being an illustration of how to tell the truth but not allow being honest to be taken advantage of.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I love science. Definitely. I'd much rather see the actual truth of things as it really is rather than live in a rose colored world constructed of imagination and fantasy.

Although I will admit the latter is more fun and comfortable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Science is wonderful cuz it's fascinating.
I've also designed things using it, & made a good living at that.
Go science!

I know what some are thinking...
Is it really science if it's only engineering?
I say it is.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Primitive religious people believe in existence of One Allah and that he does not communicate of the world except by passing his message to particular individuals. Now there is nothing new that these individual messengers of Allah say except that they should be considered special above all humanity. They are like the playing records of prior time which get stuck in a groove, repeating the same thing again and again, I am the new Messiah, I am the new Messiah, I am the .................... Not only that but their descendants also should be revered, the dynasty (till it lasts).

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been an enthusiast of nature since I was a child. I love science for helping to explain nature and reveal how it is all connected. And that we are a part of that connection.

Science is tool, a body of knowledge and methodology that people of different religions or none can all communicate together rationally in exploring the nature of the world and our universe.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!

I love and appreciate science now as an adult; I wish I would’ve paid more attention in school. I’m more of a math and language arts person. I respect science and amazed by the perfection of nature and the web of life. When I think about how a fetus grows in a mother’s womb and how it develops each week, I am in awe of the complexity and fragility of a human life. I think to myself, “how can there not be a God?”

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Mythologies are not supposed to "accord with reality". They are supposed to present truth in the form of allegory, metaphor, and symbolism. And by truth, I don't mean historical accuracy, I mean accumulated human wisdom. If you're applying science to mythology you are wasting your time, and misunderstanding them both.

Does this include things like Christ (son of God) dying on the cross and the resurrection? Seems to me that many do take such things very seriously.

Science is the one independent (hopefully) thing (and best at describing reality if it fulfils its function) that will always be there as religions come and go.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm very clever that way.

And science did not exist when the myths you are trying to apply it to were generated. Science is just one way of conceptually exploring our experience of existence. And it's a fairly recently developed one. Humans have been exploring their experience of existence for a very long time through artifice: myth, religion, and the creative arts long before the scientific process evolved. And even now, the scientific process can only explore the inter-relatedness of physicality. Which clearly does not encompass all of our experience of existence. So the scientific methodology that you are holding as the omni-potential pathway to truth is really just one, fairly limited means of gaining functional knowledge.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Does this include things like Christ (son of God) dying on the cross and the resurrection? Seems to me that many do take such things very seriously.
The world is full of simpletons who can't tell the difference between artifice and reality. Are you trying to claim that justifies you and I joining them?
Science is the one independent (hopefully) thing (and best at describing reality if it fulfills its function) that will always be there as religions come and go.
Why you think this is somehow significant is a mystery to me. Because it's not a significant point, and it may or may not even be true. Science is just another myth generator, like religion, and philosophy, and art. Only we don't call them myths or propositions in science, we call them theories. But they are all imaginatively generated, and they are all intent on sharing presumed knowledge our experience of existence. The worship of science as a pathway to truth is no different than the worship of religion as a pathway to truth, or of philosophy, or even of art. They are all (myths, propositions, theories, created images) generated by our imagination, and by our desire to presume unto ourselves knowledge and wisdom that we don't actually possess. And they all use our experience of being as their justification and validation.

It's what we humans do. It's what we humans have always done. And the increase in physical functionality that science gives us may well destroy us in the end. Especially if we continue to abandon the pursuit of wisdom through philosophy, art, and religion, in favor of physical functionality, as we are currently doing.

Last edited:

It depends on what is meant with “science”. I like scientific method, when it is honest and observes and records what is observed. I don’t like all the interpretations that are done from observations and preached religiously as “science” (like for example evolution theory).

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

I believe that true science clings with faith :rolleyes:
Because science started with faith

Wandering Monk

Love it.