• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I hate dependence upon private charities in America.

Jonathan Bailey

My mother told me the social safety net should be provided solely by the government and I believe her.

Many "private charities" in America are faith-based and many are money-grubbing hypocrites.

Some force the poor people to practice the private organization's religious beliefs in order to receive the charity. Back in 2004, I was given a peanut butter and jelly sandwich by a rescue mission staffer for not attending the chapel service as opposed to receiving a full hot meal. I argued with him that I was actually working all day long and could not attend the service which was the truth at that time. He finally did let me have a hot meal with a frown upon his face. He handed out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to people at the front door with bare hands. They weren't even wrapped. I thought gross to myself. The truth is I was paid cash money for my day's work that day and I could have gotten a hot meal from a local restaurant if the mission had not served me a hot supper. I didn't dare tell mission staffers that I got paid cash everyday I worked under the table for a landscaper.

Some such charities treat the poor badly: adults are scolded like children and patronized especially in these homeless joints and the low level of sanitation is often appalling. Often the food given away is not even fit for a dog. Many food banks give away stale crap.

It sickens me when the VA tells me to go seek a local private charity including a religious one for assistance.

I served my nation in uniform honorably. I expect the federal government to provide for me in full in times of need.

Last edited:

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
He is telling the truth. Many vets go hungry in the US every night
My mother told me the social safety net should be provided solely by the government and I believe her.

Many "private charities" in America are faith-based and many are money-grubbing hypocrites.

Some force the poor people to practice the private organization's religious beliefs in order to receive the charity. Back in 2004, I was given a peanut butter and jelly sandwich by a rescue mission staffer for not attending the chapel service as opposed to receiving a full hot meal. I argued with him that I was actually working all day long and could not attend the service which was the truth at that time. He finally did let me have a hot meal with a frown upon his face. He handed out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to people at the front door with bare hands. They weren't even wrapped. I thought gross to myself. The truth is I was paid cash money for my day's work that day and I could have gotten a hot meal from a local restaurant if the mission had not served me a hot supper. I didn't dare tell mission staffers that I got paid cash everyday I worked under the table for a landscaper.

Some such charities treat the poor badly: adults are scolded like children and patronized especially in these homeless joints and the low level of sanitation is often appalling. Often the food given away is not even fit for a dog. Many food banks give away stale crap.

It sickens me when the VA tells me to go seek a local private charity including a religious one for assistance.

I served my nation in uniform honorably. I expect the federal government to provide for me in full in times of need.

Jonathan Bailey

He is telling the truth. Many vets go hungry in the US every night

The Republicans and their Christian Right agenda want poor Americans to lean upon private "charities" for "help" and most of such establishments seem to be hypocrites and ruthless shrewd businessman. The people in America who suffer poverty the worst are poor white older males. We can thank the Democrats for that. Women, young punks, foreign nationals including illegals and so-called minorities always get the cream off the top of the social services barrel. Being a man, I can't spread my legs and push out baby brats for welfare benefits. What would Jesus Christ think of these so-called private charities?

My solution, tax the rich and take care of poor AMERICANS first.

Last edited:

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
The Republicans and their Christian Right agenda want poor Americans to lean upon private "charities" for "help" and most of such establishments seem to be hypocrites and ruthless shrewd businessman. The people in America who suffer poverty the worst are poor white older males. We can thank the Democrats for that. Women, young punks, foreign nationals including illegals and so-called minorities always get the cream off the top of the social services barrel. Being a man, I can't spread my legs and push out baby brats for welfare benefits. What would Jesus Christ think of these so-called private charities?

My solution, tax the rich and take care of poor AMERICANS first.
Jonathan, this doesn't have to be a oppressed people vs oppressed people issue. We all suffer. Those poor people who suffer but yet get attention before you aren't your enemies. They suffer too

Jonathan Bailey

Jonathan, this doesn't have to be a oppressed people vs oppressed people issue. We all suffer. Those poor people who suffer but yet get attention before you aren't your enemies. They suffer too

But how is it fair and just that THEY get attention first?

I am just as HUMAN as the rest.

Why should a "poor" welfare black person get a new Cadillac for that reason of natural skin pigmentation?

I can't even afford to have my decayed teeth pulled. I served seven years in uniform with honorable service yet the frickin' VA doesn't have my dental care even covered. I'm going to have to see a VA social worker to find some local "charitable" dental clinic or dental school.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I see a few problems here (besides the problem that you are suffering)

1) your mom was wrong when she said it should solely be provided by the government. IMO, It removes compassion from people who end up saying "Go get help from the government" which, as you can see, doesn't always do a good job.
2) What happened to you in 2004 was a shame. But to live in the offense of 2004 is also a shame because it prevents you from . Yes, some charities don't treat people right but most do. You have people who give specifically to support Veterans in forms of housing, education and treatments for those who are in need.
3) Apparently the VA does realize that the private helps are helpful.

Of course, as a free country, you don't have to go to private help organizations who love to help people.

Do hope it all works out for you.

Jonathan Bailey

I see a few problems here (besides the problem that you are suffering)

1) your mom was wrong when she said it should solely be provided by the government. IMO, It removes compassion from people who end up saying "Go get help from the government" which, as you can see, doesn't always do a good job.
2) What happened to you in 2004 was a shame. But to live in the offense of 2004 is also a shame because it prevents you from . Yes, some charities don't treat people right but most do. You have people who give specifically to support Veterans in forms of housing, education and treatments for those who are in need.
3) Apparently the VA does realize that the private helps are helpful.

Of course, as a free country, you don't have to go to private help organizations who love to help people.

Do hope it all works out for you.

Apparently, the government doesn't mind taking your hard-earned tax dime to provide full health care and dental care to convicts, even child murders, in the joint. Failure to do so would constitute cruel and unusual punishment. Will the VA even pay to pull a tooth in pain out of my mouth? No. Dentures for poor vets? I must be dreaming.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Apparently, the government doesn't mind taking your hard-earned tax dime to provide full health care and dental care to convicts, even child murders, in the joint. Failure to do so would constitute cruel and unusual punishment. Will the VA even pay to pull a tooth in pain out of my mouth? No. Dentures for poor vets? I must be dreaming.
Maybe stop supporting the party that is so bad at providing veterans entitlements, then? Trump administration breaks campaign promise, purges 200,000 VA healthcare applications

But how is it fair and just that THEY get attention first?

I am just as HUMAN as the rest.

Why should a "poor" welfare black person get a new Cadillac for that reason of natural skin pigmentation?

I can't even afford to have my decayed teeth pulled. I served seven years in uniform with honorable service yet the frickin' VA doesn't have my dental care even covered. I'm going to have to see a VA social worker to find some local "charitable" dental clinic or dental school.

I know a former service member who came to the realization that being a yes man and following orders from others was not very honorable.

Have even met people who willfully participated in destroying the lives of others from other countries ~ who are humans just like the rest ~ and coming home and complaining that they their lives are destroyed and it’s not fair for themselves.