• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I don't 'support our troops' (and why no religious person should)

Amill

Apikoros
The funny thing about people who don't support troops are they are usually the ones who aren't in the middle of the war.
Therefore less likely to be emotionally involved, allowing them to analyze the situation rationally?
Its all too easy to criticise soldiers, but too hard to try and put yourself in their shoes because lets face it, how many of us here actually know whats its like on the streets of Baghdad or Kabul?
Then we shouldn't ever criticize anyone for anything, because no 2 people have the same experiences.

blackout

Violet.
Most people are unappreciated.
At least generally unappreciated by others.

Big deal.

You do what you do in life,
because it's what YOU feel inspired to do,
or because it's what you feel you have to,
or need to do personally.
Not because you want other people
to "appreciate" you, or what you do.

Some people appreciate some things
Other people appreciate other things.

dust1n

Zindīq
The funny thing about people who don't support troops are they are usually the ones who aren't in the middle of the war.

Its all too easy to criticise soldiers, but too hard to try and put yourself in their shoes because lets face it, how many of us here actually know whats its like on the streets of Baghdad or Kabul?

A popular saying in Australia: Support our troops or stand in front of them. Its simple, not many people suppport the war, but we will support the bravery of our soldiers for dealing with the horrors our government has sent them into.

Sorry, that's ******* stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_veterans_against_the_war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_Veterans_Against_the_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_for_Peace

Every war protest I've been to, we worked directly with Veterans for Peace. We were an Anarchist-Communist Collective, and they were more than happy to be working wtih us.

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Sorry, that's ******* stupid.

Iraq Veterans Against the War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vietnam Veterans Against the War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Veterans for Peace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every war protest I've been to, we worked directly with Veterans for Peace. We were an Anarchist-Communist Collective, and they were more than happy to be working wtih us.

Read my post again, you completely missed the point.

When did i say i support war? I support the soldiers for the **** they have to put up with for a bunch of ingrates who call them murders and animals. Like i said, it should be these people standing in front of the soldiers.

Support the men, not the war they're forced to fight.

Walkntune

When did i say i support war? I support the soldiers for the **** they have to put up with for a bunch of ingrates who call them murders and animals. Like i said, it should be these people standing in front of the soldiers.

I agree. I believe the ones who are crying about the war would be the same ones crying when we have to fight the war on our own land but instead of the military it would have to be with our fire and police departments because we let our momentum turn into resistance.

dust1n

Zindīq

Sorry, didn't mean to snap.

I am a hard determinist, and to that regard I can sympathize over a soldiers, but no solider in this war was physically forced to do. I can not support that decision, regardless how good the intentions war, it was a bad choice.

dust1n

Zindīq
I agree. I believe the ones who are crying about the war would be the same ones crying when we have to fight the war on our own land but instead of the military it would have to be with our fire and police departments because we let our momentum turn into resistance.

They are not comparable, and your vague generalizations do nothing but cloud the issue.

blackout

Violet.

Military volunteers have not been forced to fight. just saying.

I always feel badly for people who are unfairly maligned.
Soldiers are no different.
If you don't want to involve yourself in war,
you can start by shutting up about it.
Let the people who want to fight, fight.
Go do what you are called to do.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Military volunteers have not been forced to fight. just saying.

I always feel badly for people who are unfairly maligned.
Soldiers are no different.
If you don't want to involve yourself in war,
you can start by shutting up about it.
Let the people who want to fight, fight.
Go do what you are called to do.

Like i said at the start of the thread, sometimes its hard for people to find work so they turn to the military for support. Then, fighting for their country to live an honest life they cop **** from all angles for the governments choice to send them.

Its something i can't understand.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Most people are unappreciated.
At least generally unappreciated by others.

Big deal.

You do what you do in life,
because it's what YOU feel inspired to do,
or because it's what you feel you have to,
or need to do personally.
Not because you want other people
to "appreciate" you, or what you do.

Some people appreciate some things
Other people appreciate other things.

:bow::clap:bow:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

Please spend a day thinking about this dust1n, Seriously. The service men and women are not the bad guys.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I did not assume, as individuals, that they were. I just don't support them.

All I ask is that you think about it a little more. Use your intellect instead of emotion for a day. Sleep on it, and if you feel the same way tomorrow, I can respect that.

Beaudreaux

I'm pretty sure the question is entirely relevant, as this is not 1942, and there is no immediate threat on our shore.

As you point out, wars happen all the time. If they did not, what would be the point of this thread? In every war, someone attacks first. As a country attacked by an aggressor, what is the moral thing to do?

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm pretty sure the question is entirely relevant, as this is not 1942, and there is no immediate threat on our shore.

Wasn't there a car bomb in New York City this weekend?

dust1n

Zindīq
All I ask is that you think about it a little more. Use your intellect instead of emotion for a day. Sleep on it, and if you feel the same way tomorrow, I can respect that.

And I suppose that allowing my intellect to take control would be to succumb to your appeal to emotion?

dust1n

Zindīq
As you point out, wars happen all the time. If they did not, what would be the point of this thread? In every war, someone attacks first. As a country attacked by an aggressor, what is the moral thing to do?

I guess the moral thing to do would bomb a country where the population is more than half of kids and pretend like I've accomplished some sense of justice.