• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I chose to be a deist

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
I want and need to believe in something, although i do not want to blame that higher power for anything wrong that happens in my life, nor thank it for anything good. I just want to believe it's there, watching over me now and then. It's brilliant to finally be at peace with your mind and soul. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Lady Crimson said:
I want and need to believe in something, although i do not want to blame that higher power for anything wrong that happens in my life, nor thank it for anything good. I just want to believe it's there, watching over me now and then. It's brilliant to finally be at peace with your mind and soul. :)
I'm very happy for you - as you say, it must be great to be at peace with your mind and soul. God bless.:)

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Lady Crimson said:
I don't want to start any crap but it doesn't sound to me like you are at peace. You're a deist because you WANT a god. This sounds like an artifical way to fill a void. See the post I made in the Agnostic Forum, I'm thinking along the same lines here.

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
and why souldn't I be at peace? just because I needed to fill a void? That is one of the reasons that she would be content, that I have filled that gap.

Tawn

Theres two lines of thought I suppose.
Either you take the view that youre getting pleasure and confort from the perspective and we should just leave you to be happy.

On the other hand, is that really a valid basis for belief? Or are you just forcing yourself not to confront what you truly think about reality? If I want to be rich - that alone wont make me rich. If you want there to be a God - that doesnt give you any realistic grip on whether there is or isnt a god... youre not really questioning the world around you. You are closed to the truth (although you might have stumbled on it by mistake) because you refuse to accept any other alternative.
Im not saying all Theists and Deists are like this. Many do some soul searching and come to the conclusion that there must be a God. They may still be wrong, but at least theyve opened themselves to other possibilities and rejected them through a process of elimination.

Of course maybe im wrong and you havent disclosed your full reasons for belief in God, but want alone is not a sound basis for belief. The truth does not yield to our will.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
I didn't mean to portray the idea you weren't at peace...it's just that I can't put togethere feeling at peace by just sticking something there to fill it. To just want to fill the void and take the easy route sounds like you just want to stop thinking about the void more than fill it, but I suppose I'm probably reading way too much into it.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Lady Crimson said:
I think this is a lovely sentiment, and if this is where your life's faith journey has lead you, then I would encourage you to continue to pursue your belief. Whether or not it leads to some kind of organized religion is not the point but rather finding answers to the questions you have.:)

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
Well, thank you, CaptainXeroid for understanding.

As for the others that for who knows what reasons want to confront me, I do not understand. I feel at peace and I could only wish the same thing for others. I do not try to convince them of my faith, why try turning me to yours? Let me be content, don't try to steal that blessing from me for it will probably just fade in time. I want to keep this happiness for as long as I can.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Tawn said:
Theres two lines of thought I suppose.
Either you take the view that youre getting pleasure and confort from the perspective and we should just leave you to be happy.

On the other hand, is that really a valid basis for belief? Or are you just forcing yourself not to confront what you truly think about reality? If I want to be rich - that alone wont make me rich. If you want there to be a God - that doesnt give you any realistic grip on whether there is or isnt a god... youre not really questioning the world around you. You are closed to the truth (although you might have stumbled on it by mistake) because you refuse to accept any other alternative.
Im not saying all Theists and Deists are like this. Many do some soul searching and come to the conclusion that there must be a God. They may still be wrong, but at least theyve opened themselves to other possibilities and rejected them through a process of elimination.

Of course maybe im wrong and you havent disclosed your full reasons for belief in God, but want alone is not a sound basis for belief. The truth does not yield to our will.
Unfortunately, as usual, you are making sense. (I say 'unfortunately' because Lady Crimson is happy, and therefore why try to rock the boat ?)I do fall into those theists and deists that you talk about who have done a lot of soul searching, and I have come to the conclusion that there must be a God - simply because, however far back in time you take an atheist (oops, you're one)- you have to admit that you haven't an answer for 'where did that first load of minerals, rocks, whatever, come from which the entire universe was formed ? -Yes, I grant you, perhaps I am 'filling in a void' - but I am filling in the void with the only possible component- something/one so powerful as to not only create itself, but the universe to boot.:)

Tawn

michel said:
I say 'unfortunately' because Lady Crimson is happy, and therefore why try to rock the boat ?
Hehe.. yeah.. im like that.. :eek:
For me truth is paramount. Happiness is just a state of being which can easily change.. hell all I need to do is eat some chocolate (Apparently :sarcastic).
and I have come to the conclusion that there must be a God - simply because, however far back in time you take an atheist (oops, you're one)- you have to admit that you haven't an answer for 'where did that first load of minerals, rocks, whatever, come from which the entire universe was formed
Thats fine. If you come to that conclusion. No problem.
My difference of opinion rests on the fact that you are making certain assumptions. You assume that the universe was at one time formed. You assume that matter and energy had to come from 'somewhere'.
Yet, when have you ever in your life seen anything be 'created'? A newly constructed building, a sapling which grows into a tree, a new born child. All these things are transformations. The materials which came together to make such things were there already.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Lady Crimson said:
Well, thank you, CaptainXeroid for understanding.

As for the others that for who knows what reasons want to confront me, I do not understand. I feel at peace and I could only wish the same thing for others. I do not try to convince them of my faith, why try turning me to yours? Let me be content, don't try to steal that blessing from me for it will probably just fade in time. I want to keep this happiness for as long as I can.
I don't want to confront you. I want to understand your reasoning. Like I said, I just can't put it together. I don't feel like I'm trying to convert you, sorry if I give that impression. Just trying to state what I think of that situation. I hope you do stay happy, I feel happy with the situation I'm currently in, just trying to understand other views that all.

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
I can't explain my beliefs, because of I try i'll find reasons that confront the laws of phyzics. But I ask you, does everything need to have an answer?

Alexander

Tawn said:
Thats fine. If you come to that conclusion. No problem.
My difference of opinion rests on the fact that you are making certain assumptions. You assume that the universe was at one time formed. You assume that matter and energy had to come from 'somewhere'.
Yet, when have you ever in your life seen anything be 'created'? A newly constructed building, a sapling which grows into a tree, a new born child. All these things are transformations. The materials which came together to make such things were there already.
Actually, very interesting is that I have heard some rumors that there is a phenomenon in an absolute void in which random elements will suddenly start popping into existence one at a time. I haven't confirmed this, but if true, very interesting indeed.

Also, I would like to point out that we all make assumptions based on evidence. The fact that we don't know where all of this came from- to you- leads to the assumption of a Big Bang or some such, and to me the existance of something (maybe not personified exactly) powerful directing events.