• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I CANNOT Believe in The Resurrection

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think you missed the point that Jesus was Not resurrected back to his old physical body, but his God resurrected Jesus back to his former pre-human heavenly spirit body.
This is why after his resurrection Jesus used different materialized bodies.
People did Not recognize the resurrected Jesus until he revealed himself to them - see Luke 24:13-43
So why did this heavenly spirit body have holes in the hands? That part always made me laugh. Why have the body miraculously resurrected and leave holes? Not quite enough miracle juice to finish the job? And the idea that it was a different body with identical wounds makes even less sense.

SA Huguenot

The Quran agrees with you @SeekingAllTruth Even though the translations are all over the field, they agree on that point.

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation
This is not true at all!
The Quran says in just the next few words that the people who saw the crucifixion, were deceived by Allah to believe that Jesus died on the cross.

Now, If Allah say the witnesses to the crucifixion was deceived by him (It was made to appear that Jesus was crucified and killed) in seing Jesus die on the Cross, Allah is then a testiment to the Apostles and all the people who witnessed Jesus die on the cross.

Therefore, the Quran can not be used as a reliable source of history, except that it is a recording of what Gnosticism believed at the time of Muhammad, 600 years after Jesus.

Last edited:

SA Huguenot

act: take away the Bible and any "proof" for Jesus' resurrection collapses.
And you are 100% correct!

Take the Bible away, and the resurrection dissappears.
Then again, we would only have archaeology to tell us what happned thousands of years ago, and it will be like a fishersnet holding no construcyive information. Oh, keep in mind that most of the ancient archaeological finds in the Middle east conformed to what the Bible described and it was done between 200 years ago and now, at a time when most sceptics thought the Bible had no historical value.
We would perhaps have Philo, and Josephus to tell us, but they are also too biblical.
OK so what will we have telling us about the history of the world, if not the Bible?
Nope, you have to accept the value of the Bible can not be questioned as an historical book.
Sorry!

RestlessSoul

Notice I didn't say, "I refuse to" The point is I cannot believe in it.

I watched a debate on the resurrection this morning. At some point, Matt Dillahunty came out and asked "Do you have anything outside the Bible to support the resurrection." Jonathan McLatchie answered. "NO."

That's it in a nutshell. All apologists--Craig, Licona, Horn, Woods, et al use nothing but the Bible to lay out their "evidence" Jesus rose. Claim: the apostles saw something that convinced them. Fact: There is no secular evidence anywhere outside the Bible that mentions the apostles. Claim: the empty tomb. Fact we have no empty tomb. Claim: the apostles were willing to die for their belief. Fact: we have nothing inside and outside the Bible that mentions what most of the apostles subsequently did or how they died. Claim: There were eyewitnesses. Fact: Nobody outside the Bible recorded a single thing about seeing Jesus after he was crucified.

Outrageous claim:

The historical evidence shows that: the grave was empty; the grave clothes were neatly left behind; the stone enclosing the tomb was rolled away; the body of Jesus was never found.

10 Concise Pieces of Evidence for the Resurrection - The Gospel Coalition | Canada

WHAT historical evidence????????
1f632.png

I mean in the link above it gets much MUCH worse than that.

Fact: take away the Bible and any "proof" for Jesus' resurrection collapses.

Why is it important to you not to believe? You seem to be putting quite a lot of effort into this.

Believers in the divinity of Christ take the resurrection on faith. Some followers of other traditions and faiths, including many agnostics, find much wisdom in the message of the Gospels, while seeing Jesus as a mortal man like us.

You don’t believe in the resurrection? I respect that, absolutely. What do you believe in?

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
I think you missed the point that Jesus was Not resurrected back to his old physical body, but his God resurrected Jesus back to his former pre-human heavenly spirit body.
This is why after his resurrection Jesus used different materialized bodies.
People did Not recognize the resurrected Jesus until he revealed himself to them - see Luke 24:13-43

Luke 24 tells us that the disciples were prevented from recognising Jesus, not that He appeared in different bodies.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I watched a debate on the resurrection this morning. At some point, Matt Dillahunty came out and asked "Do you have anything outside the Bible to support the resurrection." Jonathan McLatchie answered. "NO."

That's it in a nutshell. All apologists--Craig, Licona, Horn, Woods, et al use nothing but the Bible to lay out their "evidence" Jesus rose. Claim: the apostles saw something that convinced them. Fact: There is no secular evidence anywhere outside the Bible that mentions the apostles. Claim: the empty tomb. Fact we have no empty tomb. Claim: the apostles were willing to die for their belief. Fact: we have nothing inside and outside the Bible that mentions what most of the apostles subsequently did or how they died. Claim: There were eyewitnesses. Fact: Nobody outside the Bible recorded a single thing about seeing Jesus after he was crucified.

Outrageous claim:

The historical evidence shows that: the grave was empty; the grave clothes were neatly left behind; the stone enclosing the tomb was rolled away; the body of Jesus was never found.

10 Concise Pieces of Evidence for the Resurrection - The Gospel Coalition | Canada

1f632.png

Jesus life and death are shown historically. Historians believe also that the first message of Christianity was that Jesus had risen from the dead.
Is the Bible reliable history? It seems to be from what has been discovered by historians and archaeologists.
Is the Bible reliable history when it comes to supernatural events?
Do you also not believe the apostles existed?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Outrageous claim:

1f632.png

Why" the empty tomb " of Jesus?

Even in the 4 Gospels there are clues that Jesus did not die on the Cross and Jesus was buried alive hurriedly as it suited to all the parties of the conflict:
  1. To the Jews as the Shabbat had started.
  2. To the Roman officials as the matter had resolved.
  3. To the disciples of Jesus as they had to attend to Jesus’ treatment for the injuries inflicted on the Cross.
When Jesus gained consciousness Jesus came out of the tomb. Hence the empty tomb, please. Right?
There is therefore no case of resurrection of Jesus from the dead. Right?
It is for this that Jesus moved secretly when he came out of the tomb and was only seen by his disciples lest he is caught again and tortured. Jesus moved secretly till he migrated from Galilee out of Judea out the hands of Jews and the Romans. Right?

Regards

PureX

Veteran Member

The resurrection is part of a mythical religious story. The intent of which is to convey a revelation, and a promise. Treating it as if it were a newspaper or history book is missing the point. No "belief" is required of you by the story. Belief comes after you have discerned the message and the promise posed by the story, and you try it out in your life to see if it manifests.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Outrageous claim:

1f632.png

First, there IS evidence outside the Bible.

Second, start with the Bible and use logic. Why did 12 teams of writers risk expulsion from Jewish life and culture and persecution by Rome to bring you a falsehood about the resurrection?

PS. I'll provide 1) once you deal with 2).

Clara Tea

Outrageous claim:

1f632.png

Jesus's dad was God. Jesus's mom was Jewish and human. His appearance would have been somewhat Jewish, probably. So, brown or black curly hair, likely a hairy body. This presumes that he looks like the men on his mom's side of the family.

But, when Christ (not Jesus) rose from the grave, he didn't look at all like Jesus. Rather, he had long white/blond hair, and red eyes.

So, if the resurrection was some kind of hoax designed to fool us, they would have picked someone who looked like Jesus. But, since the resurrected Christ looked nothing like Jesus, that should be proof positive that the event really did happen.

That is, if he looks nothing like what he used to look like, he must be the same guy.

Outrageous claim:

1f632.png

Is that what people are going to say when they meet their maker, “ There was no proof except in the Bible”?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
First, there IS evidence outside the Bible.

Second, start with the Bible and use logic. Why did 12 teams of writers risk expulsion from Jewish life and culture and persecution by Rome to bring you a falsehood about the resurrection?

PS. I'll provide 1) once you deal with 2).
There really is not. The "evidence" outside of the Bible only amounts to the obvious, that there were people who believed the Jesus story.

Assuming Jesus existed and was really crucified, I just think strings were pulled to get him down early so he could recover for a few days and then flee up into the mountains (I mean, "Heaven").
There was no recovering from his injuries in a couple days. Only option is the Bible account that He rose from the dead after they killed Him

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and let's do a .....wager

bet your soul.....Jesus continues after death

if He did.....then we all have some chance of doing likewise
if not.....then we shall all be dust

after all.....if Someone of HIS ability failed to continue
we are without hope

SeekingAllTruth

Is that what people are going to say when they meet their maker, “ There was no proof except in the Bible”?
Yes. God should have known the precise amount of evidence it would take to convince the world his son was crucified for our sins. The fact he did NOT is evidenced by the fact that 2/3's of the world cannot believe in Jesus either. Their failure to believe is on God's shoulders, not theirs.

Last edited:

SeekingAllTruth

Jesus's dad was God. Jesus's mom was Jewish and human. His appearance would have been somewhat Jewish, probably. So, brown or black curly hair, likely a hairy body. This presumes that he looks like the men on his mom's side of the family.

But, when Christ (not Jesus) rose from the grave, he didn't look at all like Jesus. Rather, he had long white/blond hair, and red eyes.

So, if the resurrection was some kind of hoax designed to fool us, they would have picked someone who looked like Jesus. But, since the resurrected Christ looked nothing like Jesus, that should be proof positive that the event really did happen.

That is, if he looks nothing like what he used to look like, he must be the same guy.
That is the most bizarre explanation I have ever read. But I like it. :)