• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY I BELIEVE THAT CHRIST IS GOD

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In search of being offended today? When you are that sensitive its because truth has been spoken and you don't like it.

Neither love nor spirituality is "logical" to a materialist.
Such a low level of understanding. They are "logical" when one understands the source.

mmarco

Why does God require belief in Christ for salvation? Wouldn't the highest possible divine love include everyone without condition?

No, because God has created us with a free will; let me try to explain this point.
I believe that God loves us infinitely, and He desires to lead each of us to the true life and true happiness, a condition existing only in communion with God. But God cannot tolerate evil and sin, because they are incompatible with His good and holy nature. God cannot simply forgive us if we keep sin and evil within us. A deep interior change is necessary for all of us to reach the eternal happiness; we must be sanctified and purified from all our evil and sinful desires. God has the power to change us but He wants to do that with our consent. In fact God has chosen to create man with a free will, He wants to respect our free will. If God purified us against our will, He would destroy the essence of the human being, our free conscience. Man cannot really accept to be changed by God and he cannot be in communion with God as long as even a shadow of doubt and distrust remains in his heart ( it must be stressed that such a distrust may exist even without the man is aware of it, at the unconscious level).*
In order to destroy every shadow of doubt and distrust in our heart, God has chosen to give us the greatest proof of love that may exist: Christ's Passion.
However those who do not believe in God, despite Christ's Passian, are not willing to allow God to purify them and they remain in their sins and therefore they cannot go to heaven

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hey there @mmarco! I've been a pretty serious christian for the first 30 years of my life, and I can understand why people feel drawn to that path. Love is a wonderful concenpt to incorporate into one's life. :)

There are a few things I might offer for consideration, though...

This concept is fully convincing for me, it proves itself by itself and makes superfluous any other arguments.

The "proves itself by itself" part of your argument seems off to me. It seems like circular logic, and circular reasoning isn't very rational or logical. It's not a good way to arrive at the truth; only concrete, testable evidence can give you a closer glimpse at the nature of rality.

One might consider that before being "fully convinced" and making "superfluous any other arguments." If you close yourself off and shut down completely to other possibilities, you'll only ever allow yourself to consider a fraction of what's out there.

The existence and the goodness of God is the most fundamental truth and I do not think we can deduce such truth from some other truth, because this would mean that we believe more in the other truth than in God

How will you know if you can deduce truth from other truths if you already have the answers you want, as per above? If god IS objective truth, then it would seem like seeking objective truth would bring you closer to him; even if that means that your initial ideas on who god were might be incorrect, no?

All what science shows about the physical reality is that it manifests itself as a realization of some specific abstract mathematical models (what we call “the laws of physics”); in fact, the subatomic components of matters (quantum particles and fields) are actually only abtract mathematical concepts. On the other hand, mathematical models are only constructions of the rational thought and a mathematical model can exist only as a thought in a thinking mind conceiving it; this implies that matter (and the physical reality) is not the foundation of reality, but its existence depends on a more fundamental reality i.e. consciousness: contrary to the basic hypothesis of materialism, consciousness is a more fundamental reality than matter.

Just because objective reality is subject to physics doesn't mean that it manifests subjectively. True, our subjective interpretation of objective reality (and physics) is most pertinent to our daily lives, but the whole point of our subjective reality is that we can interract with objective reality. Without objective truth, subjective reality wouldn't even have a point.

Ultimately, subjective reality is flawed. We can only understand a tiny fraction of everything that's happening. That's the problem with conciousness; true, it's the most relevant understanding we get of reality, but that's only because it's also the only one we can ever truly know or understand. Because our understanding is so one sided, it can be easy to fool ourselves into thinking we know more about the nature of reality than we actually do.

As for mathematical constructs...

Therefore the existence of this mathematically structured universe implies the existence of a conscious and intelligent God, conceiving it as a mathematical model. In other words, the universe can be only the manifestation of a mathematical theory existing in the mind of a personal God.
I think that atheism does not account for such fundamental scientific information about the physical reality and denies, without any rational arguments, the only rational explanation.

I would like to firstly get out of the way that atheism doesn't account for anything. It's simply not being convinced that a god exists. From my own perspective, I could be wrong, but the gods that I have studied and come to know seem man made. Until I see something that convinces me otherwise, though, I will refrain from belief in any god.

Now, back on topic, I think you are underestimating the ability for mankind to find patterns in things. We are wired for it.

When we look at clouds, we find ships and dogs. When we listen to music, we appreciate the rhythms and tones. When we go hunting, we are able to track the deer through it's tracks and directional blood spatter; which ultimately is where this pattern recognition comes from. As persistence hunters, our ancestors needed to be able to discern patterns in order to survive.

Pattern recognition is what has helped us to grow and learn as a species. If there are categories to anything, it's only because we gave it a category. If the universe is mathematically structured, it's because we gave it that structure.

Math isn't a one size fits all thing, either. In math classes I used to drive my teacher batty because the way I do math is backwards from most. We find the one that works best, and we use that; just like with everything else. We've made systems for everything.

There is another argument from physics that I find strongly convincing; according to our scientific knowledges, all chemical and biological processes (including cerebral processes) are caused by the electromagnetic interaction between subatomic particles such as electrons and protons. Quantum mechanics accounts for such interactions, as well as for the properties of subatomic particles.

I'll take your word for it... Physics is a point of weakness for me. :)

Consciousness is irriducible to the laws of physics, while all cerebral processes are. This is for me the most convincing rational argument against materialism (which identifies cerebral processes as the origin of consciousness) and in favour of the existence of the soul, as the unphysical and trascendent principle necessary for the existence of our consciousness. Since our soul cannot have a physical origin, it can only be created directly by God. The existence of God is a necessary condition for the existence of our soul, as well as for the existence of us as conscious beings.

See, the problem here is that we aren't talking physics, though; at least, not exclusively. We are talking biology.

None of those biochemical reactions would mean anything if they happened outside of a human brain. Not only that, but changes in the brain can change how consciousness even works.

I knew a man who was the most gentlest, most selfless individual. He would give you the shirt off his back without hesitation. He was someone I would point to if I ever wanted to show someone an example of a good christian.

One day he suffered a stroke...after that, it changed him. He became a whole different person.

What once was a kind, gentle soul had become an angry, abusive man. His whole personality changed. He wasn't him anymore. He didn't live long after that event, so thankfully his wife didn't go through too much of that, but damn...

Ultimately, though, it was because of the trauma that his brain had endured; it rewired his brain. He had to relearn how to do simple tasks, like speak and write. After that event, though, the old man had died and someone else was born that day.

What of his soul, or the soul of the new man that was born of that traumatic event? Where does the soul part fit in? Biology seems to have it covered without introducing souls into the mix.

Audie

Veteran Member
No, because God has created us with a free will; let me try to explain this point.
I believe that God loves us infinitely, and He desires to lead each of us to the true life and true happiness, a condition existing only in communion with God. But God cannot tolerate evil and sin, because they are incompatible with His good and holy nature. God cannot simply forgive us if we keep sin and evil within us. A deep interior change is necessary for all of us to reach the eternal happiness; we must be sanctified and purified from all our evil and sinful desires. God has the power to change us but He wants to do that with our consent. In fact God has chosen to create man with a free will, He wants to respect our free will. If God purified us against our will, He would destroy the essence of the human being, our free conscience. Man cannot really accept to be changed by God and he cannot be in communion with God as long as even a shadow of doubt and distrust remains in his heart ( it must be stressed that such a distrust may exist even without the man is aware of it, at the unconscious level).*
In order to destroy every shadow of doubt and distrust in our heart, God has chosen to give us the greatest proof of love that may exist: Christ's Passion.
However those who do not believe in God, despite Christ's Passian, are not willing to allow God to purify them and they remain in their sins and therefore they cannot go to heaven

Even a awful atheist Asian has heard this same
mantra a thousand times already.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The fundamental reason why I believe that Christ is God, is that I find that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept. I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God and it is certainly a truth. This concept is fully convincing for me, it proves itself by itself and makes superfluous any other arguments . I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us to have faith in Him and trust Him, to make us understand that God loves us infinitely, that God is good and mercifull and that God is near to us so that we may totally trust Him and open our heart to Him, be in communion with Him and be saved.
There are other religions teaching that God is love, but the problem is to define what the word “love” means, because by itself it could be only a vague and generic concept.
The christian faith is unique because it gives a very concrete and unique meaning to the concept of divine love: in fact God’s love actualizes in the acceptance of a terrible physical suffering; the God of the christian faith loves us so much that He is willing to suffer a painful death in order to save us. In the christian faith, love is not only a theoretical and vague concept; Christ’s Passion is a clear and concrete realization of the concept of divine love which teaches us what is the true meaning of love. I think that this christian idea of divine love is the highest possible concept of divine love and it is the fundamental reason why I believe that Christ is God.

So, based on your feelings.

mmarco

None of those biochemical reactions would mean anything if they happened outside of a human brain.

This is the point, the brain is nothing but a set of subatomic particles which properties are determined by the same laws of physics as in every other set of subatomic particles, such as an electric device. All biological and chemical processes are nothing but successions of elementary physical processes , which is sufficient to prove that consciousness is irriducible to cerebral processes and transcends the physical/biological reality. Consciousness is the result of the interaction between an unphysical/unbiological principle (the soul) and the brain.
Because of this interaction, cerebral damages affects of course also our conscious psychical life.

Orbit

I'm a planet
The fundamental reason why I believe that Christ is God, is that I find that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept. I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God and it is certainly a truth. This concept is fully convincing for me, it proves itself by itself and makes superfluous any other arguments . I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us to have faith in Him and trust Him, to make us understand that God loves us infinitely, that God is good and mercifull and that God is near to us so that we may totally trust Him and open our heart to Him, be in communion with Him and be saved.
There are other religions teaching that God is love, but the problem is to define what the word “love” means, because by itself it could be only a vague and generic concept.
The christian faith is unique because it gives a very concrete and unique meaning to the concept of divine love: in fact God’s love actualizes in the acceptance of a terrible physical suffering; the God of the christian faith loves us so much that He is willing to suffer a painful death in order to save us. In the christian faith, love is not only a theoretical and vague concept; Christ’s Passion is a clear and concrete realization of the concept of divine love which teaches us what is the true meaning of love. I think that this christian idea of divine love is the highest possible concept of divine love and it is the fundamental reason why I believe that Christ is God.

I think you'll find that your view is at odds with Catholic theology. Jesus is part of the trinity, but is not God in the way you're saying. Jesus in the Son; God is the Father; they are of the same divine essence but are not the same person. (This is according to theology; I have no dog in this fight).

Audie

Veteran Member
This is the point, the brain is nothing but a set of subatomic particles which properties are determined by the same laws of physics as in every other set of subatomic particles, such as an electric device. All biological and chemical processes are nothing but successions of elementary physical processes , which is sufficient to prove that consciousness is irriducible to cerebral processes and transcends the physical/biological reality. Consciousness is the result of the interaction between an unphysical/unbiological principle (the soul) and the brain.
Because of this interaction, cerebral damages affects of course also our conscious psychical life.

Sufficient for one already convinced.

A scientist, BTW, mentioned because you claim
such training, doesn't do conclusions based
on unevidenced assertions about such as a "soul' .

Scientists also know that proof is non
existent in science.

The more you try to mix science into your
religion, the less credible your " physicst "
claim becomes.

Orbit

I'm a planet

This is panpsychism. But seriously, how can you have a thought without a brain? Empirically, it's not possible.

mmarco

I think you'll find that your view is at odds with Catholic theology. Jesus is part of the trinity, but is not God in the way you're saying. Jesus in the Son; God is the Father; they are of the same divine essence but are not the same person. (This is according to theology; I have no dog in this fight).

I have never said that Jesus and God the Father are the same person. You must have misunderstood my meaning.
Anyway, John 20:28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

mmarco

This is panpsychism. But seriously, how can you have a thought without a brain? Empirically, it's not possible.
The point is that, according to the laws of physics, the existence of any thought requires the existence of an unphysical/unbiological element, which is sufficient to prove that the fundamental assumption of materialism (i.e. consciousness is a product of the cerebral activity) is in contradiction with our scientific knowledges about the brain.

Of course, we cannot prove that consciusness can exist also when the soul is disconnected from the brain; this is something we can only believe. On the contrary, the existence of the soul is a truth supported by our scientific knowledges.

Wrangler

Ask And You Will Receive
I have never said that Jesus and God the Father are the same person.

No. Trinitarians parse synonyms, person and being.

Jesus died. God did not. Jesus was resurrected by God. That is the text of Scripture. Jesus lifeless corpse was acted upon. God, in his unitarian nature, did the acting.

Who did Jesus pray to? God. Who did Jesus tell us to pray to? God. Saint Paul said it strongest, ‘For us, there is One God, the Father.’ 1 Corinthians 8:6.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I heard there was logic, rationality.
One can but confident its forthcoming,
for lo, those of an indwelling Holy Spirit
would not practice to deceive.

Nor would anyone practice to deceive.
Human Nature abounds in nothing but
goodiness.

That's why all ideologies that say their
guys are goody are abundantly honest.

mmarco

No. Trinitarians parse synonyms, person and being.

Jesus died. God did not. Jesus was resurrected by God. That is the text of Scripture. Jesus lifeless corpse was acted upon. God, in his unitarian nature, did the acting.

Who did Jesus pray to? God. Who did Jesus tell us to pray to? God. Saint Paul said it strongest, ‘For us, there is One God, the Father.’ 1 Corinthians 8:6.

Both Jesus and the Father are the one God; you cannot choose only one verse and disregards all the others; for example; John 20:28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Thomas calls Jesus "my God" and Jesus does not correct him. God loves us so much that He decided to suffer a terrible death in the Person of Christ to save us and lead us to the eternal life. This is the highest concept of divine love that may exist.

Audie

Veteran Member
The point is that, according to the laws of physics, the existence of any thought requires the existence of an unphysical/unbiological element, which is sufficient to prove that the fundamental assumption of materialism (i.e. consciousness is a product of the cerebral activity) is in contradiction with our scientific knowledges about the brain.

Of course, we cannot prove that consciusness can exist also when the soul is disconnected from the brain; this is something we can only believe. On the contrary, the existence of the soul is a truth supported by our scientific knowledges.

Physics again,

You gotta tell us about these pbysical
laws that prove as you say...including this
new Science that admits of proof.

This is beyond Nobel level.

Don't be selfish!