• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I believe in Christ

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Is that why the kings and queens taxed the poor? Have you ever read anything about the history of the church and how it has evolved?

So why did the church introduce the sacraments such as the confessional if it wasn't as an income source? Why do you need a clergyman to forgive you for your sins?

Where does the bible say that you need a confessional or a marriage celebrant?
I'm done with you. You keep going off on tangents, like you're a cop interrogating someone. It's very rude.

Mitty

I'm done with you. You keep going off on tangents, like you're a cop interrogating someone. It's very rude.
In other words you can't tell us where the bible says that you need to confess to a clergyman and that you need to sign a marriage contract and need to have a wedding celebrant for a biblical marriage.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
In other words you can't tell us where the bible says that you need to confess to a clergyman and that you need to sign a marriage contract and need to have a wedding celebrant for a biblical marriage.
No, because I have no responsibility to explain every single tiny thing to you when you're online and can educate yourself. Also, because I doubt you actually want an answer. Go waste someone else's time.

Mitty

No, because I have no responsibility to explain every single tiny thing to you when you're online and can educate yourself. Also, because I doubt you actually want an answer. Go waste someone else's time.
Have you ever actually read the bible?

Either way it doesn't change anything, and that the church obviously introduced those sacraments as a business model for a source of income to pay for it's capital works and running costs.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Have you ever actually read the bible?

Either way it doesn't change anything and that the church obviously introduced those sacraments as a business model for a source of income to pay for it's capital works and running costs.
^That's why we're done. You've already made up your mind to believe nonsense. You also don't answer questions put to you so why would I answer your questions?

Mitty

^That's why we're done. You've already made up your mind to believe nonsense. You also don't answer questions put to you so why would I answer your questions?
To the contrary, it's not me who believes nonsense and that a clergyman is biblically necessary to confess to and to sign a marriage contract.

So presumably you've never actually read the bible since you can't tell us where the bible says that it is necessary to confess to a clergyman and to sign a marriage contract.

And what questions have you asked?

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
To the contrary, it's not me who believes nonsense and that a clergyman is biblically necessary to confess to and to sign a marriage contract.

So presumably you've never actually read the bible since you can't tell us where the bible says that it is necessary to confess to a clergyman and to sign a marriage contract.

And what questions have you asked?
If you knew anything about Catholicism, Orthodoxy or Anglicanism (I'm unsure if Lutherans and Methodists hold to sola scriptura), you would know that they don't expect the Bible to spell out everything for them. Sola scriptura is a fundamentalist Protestant idea that only an minority of Christian's, globally, believe in. Your idea of Christianity seems to come from a fundamentalist Protestant or Evangelical Christian reference, which isn't an accurate view.

I asked you where you're getting that Christians used to charge for the Sacraments? Source?

Mitty

If you knew anything about Catholicism, Orthodoxy or Anglicanism (I'm unsure if Lutherans and Methodists hold to sola scriptura), you would know that they don't expect the Bible to spell out everything for them. Sola scriptura is a fundamentalist Protestant idea that only an minority of Christian's, globally, believe in. Your idea of Christianity seems to come from a fundamentalist Protestant or Evangelical Christian reference, which isn't an accurate view.
In other words the churches have just made things up to try to sell after-death salvation with money-back guarantees to their customers. Which is why the children of one of my father's cousins are no longer believers even though their father was an Anglican archbishop in Melbourne, and why less than 10% ever bother to go to church now.

I asked you where you're getting that Christians used to charge for the Sacraments? Source?
So where else did the RC church get it's income from to pay for it's capital expenses and running costs if it wasn't from "voluntary" donations for those products, and why the church introduced the sacraments including the confessional and wedding ceremonies?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
In other words the churches have just made things up to try to sell after-death salvation with money-back guarantees to their customers. Which is why the children of one of my father's cousins are no longer believers even though their father was an Anglican archbishop in Melbourne, and why less than 10% ever bother to go to church now.

So where else did the RC church get it's income from to pay for it's capital expenses and running costs if it wasn't from "voluntary" donations for those products, and why the church introduced the sacraments including the confessional and wedding ceremonies?
Bye.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What do you think that matter, electromagnetic waves, etc are?​

Physical phenomenon and we use math to describe them.

The point is that all we know about the universe is the "description" given by abstract mathematical models, because the universe manifests itself as the realization of abstract mathematical models, which intrinsically conceptual nature implies that they can exist only as concepts in a thinking mind.

These things exist regardless. We simply use math to describe them.
Math is a conceptual model of reality. Reality is not a conceptual model.

The hypothesis that such a mathematically structured universe may exist independently from a thinking mind is totally unreasonable.
I think that atheism is a kind of superstition, because it is totally irrational and based on a totally arbitrary and unreasonable assumption (the non-existence of God)

I disagree.

mmarco

I asked: What do you think that matter, electromagnetic waves, etc are?

You answered:

Physical phenomenon and we use math to describe them.

That's not an answer at all. What are physical phenomena?

These things exist regardless. We simply use math to describe them.
Math is a conceptual model of reality. Reality is not a conceptual model.

You still miss the point; what are these "things"? What is "reality" made of? You are avoiding the question.

Actually, all we know about these "things" is that they manifest themselves as the realization of abstract mathematical models.. Besides, our mathematical models do not provide only a static description of the universe; they systematically predict the outcomes of experiments, which indicates that the universe has an intrinsic mathematical structure which determines its evolution.
The only rational explanation for the existence of our mathematically structured universe is the idea of an intelligent Creator.
Atheism does not account for the existence of our mathematically structured universe and denies, without any rational arguments, the only rational explanation.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So what evidence do you have that biblical morality isn't just man-made,
You're the one who made an assertion of fact when it was just a belief of yours, thus not I.

The fine for causing a miscarriage was only imposed as compensation because of the property rights of men, given that Numbers 5:20-28 commands the termination of pregnancies of adulteresses by drinking a "bitter water" abortifacient.
Correct.