• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I believe in Christ

mmarco

The fundamental reason why I believe in Jesus Christ, is that I find that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept. I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God. I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us to have faith in Him and trust Him, to make us understand that God loves us infinitely, that God is good and mercifull and that God is near to us so that we may open our heart to Him, be in communion with Him and be saved.

Roguish

I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God.

Well said. Indeed the idea itself is so lofty that there can be no "rational" explanation for it. It can only be divinely inspired. The rational faculty has no motive of its own to think of such "nonsense" -- which is of course not nonsense, but the Highest Truth. As you wrote, it comes from God.

Thanks for your courageous post.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The fundamental reason why I believe in Jesus Christ, is that I find that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept. I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God. I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us to have faith in Him and trust Him, to make us understand that God loves us infinitely, that God is good and mercifull and that God is near to us so that we may open our heart to Him, be in communion with Him and be saved.

Cool story, but given this is Religions Q&A, is there a question in our midst?

mmarco

Cool story, but given this is Religions Q&A, is there a question in our midst?

Yes, there are two questions implied, one directed to those who believe in Christ, which is "why do you believe in Christ?" and one directed to those who believe in other religions, which is "Why do you not believe in Chirst?"

mmarco

He did not fulfil any of the messianic prophecies.

Are you sure that you are interpreting correctly the messianic prophecies?
Do you really believe that we must found our faith on the intepretation of some enigmatic prophecies?
I am not saying that biblical prophecies are not to be considered at all, but think that their interpretation is controversial and there are much more important aspects that we should take into consideration.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you sure that you are interpreting correctly the messianic prophecies?
Do you really believe that we must found our faith on the intepretation of some enigmatic prophecies?
I am not saying that biblical prophecies are not to be considered at all, but think that their interpretation is controversial and there are much more important aspects that we should take into consideration.
Within Orthodox Judaism, the path I follow (though I am not Jewish, my beliefs are the same), what we are supposed to look for is clear. I can give you the prophecies if you like but as this is in Q&A we are not allowed to debate. Instead I will link you to post 73 on this thread:

Theosis, Salvation, and Jesus

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Saved from what?

ciao

- viole

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The fundamental reason why I believe in Jesus Christ, is that I find that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept.
Don't other religions claim the same thing? Doesn't literature from all over express similar sentiments?
I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God.
Heroes and altruists are a dime a dozen in literature. There's nothing unique about Christian mythology. God as a Strong-Father figure is a comforting idea and appeals to the inner child.
I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us to have faith in Him and trust Him, to make us understand that God loves us infinitely, that God is good and mercifull and that God is near to us so that we may open our heart to Him, be in communion with Him and be saved.
Why do you believe this Christ narrative at all, other than your aforementioned admiration of Christian values?
Do you have any hard evidence, or is it all emotion?

mmarco

Saved from what?

ciao

- viole

Saved from our own sins, our own egoism, our own senseless pride, our own evil passions;
in summary, saved from ourselves.
I believe that God loves us infinitely, and He desires to lead each of us to the true life and true and eternal happiness, a condition existing only in communion with God. But God cannot tolerate evil and sin, because they are incompatible with His good and holy nature. A deep interior change is then necessary for all of us to reach the eternal happiness; we must be sanctified and purified from all our evil and sinful desires. God has the power to change us but He wants to do that with our consent. In fact God has chosen to create man with a free will, He wants to respect our free will. Man cannot really accept to be changed by God and he cannot be in comunion with God as long as even a shadow of doubt and distrust remains in his heart ( it must be stressed that such a distrust may exist even without the man is aware of it, at the unconscious level).
In order to destroy every shadow of doubt and distrust in our heart, God has chosen to give us the greatest proof of love that may exist: Christ's Passion.

mmarco

There's nothing unique about Christian mythology.

I disagree; no religions speak about a God who assumes tha human nature and accepts to suffer and die in order to save us.

Do you have any hard evidence, or is it all emotion?

I am not sure to understand your question, but I try to unswer.
As I have explained, it is the christin concept itself of divine love that makes me believe that God of the christian faith is the true God.
I have however also other arguments, which I try to summarize below.
I am a physicist and I think that a rational analysis of our scientific knowledges provides a strong and convincent argument supporting the existence of a personal intelligent God. In fact, all what science shows about the universe is that it manifests itself to us as a realization of some specific abstract mathematical models (what we call “the laws of physics”); in fact, the subatomic components of matters (quantum particles and fields) are actually only abtract mathematical concepts. On the other hand, mathematical models are only constructions of the rational thought and a mathematical model can exist only as a thought in a thinking mind conceiving it; therefore the existence of this mathematically structured universe implies the existence of an intelligent God, conceiving if as a mathematrical model. In other words, the universe can be only the manifestation of a mathematical theory existing in the mind of an intelligent and conscious God, i.e. a personal God.

Once you understand that God is the Creator of the whole unverse and of ourselves, you can understand that God is certainly superior to ourselves. Since God has the capacity to create our intelligence, our consciousness and our will, He must be intelligent, conscious and He must have a will. In fact, since God is superior to us and He is the Creator of our own capacities, He must possess our own capacities in a superior way. Since God is superior to us, He must have a superior capacity to love.

Once you understand that the Creator of the universe must be a loving God, you may understand what I wrote in my first about the reason why I believe that the God of christian faith is only true God.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I disagree; no religions speak about a God who assumes the human nature and accepts to suffer and die in order to save us.
He must have a superior capacity to love.
Yeah. You have a story in your books. That proves absolutely nothing. Neither the existence of God, nor proves Jesus to be the son of God, nor that his dying or the supposed resurrection made any difference to the world.
I would not say anything about your being a physicist.
We will understand that there is a God and he is the creator of the universe, when you provide some evidence for it. At the moment we have no such evidence.
God's love is being shown in the Covid-19 virus which has infected 23,185,049 people around the world and has caused the death of 804,274 people.
But God cannot tolerate evil and sin, ..
And evil and sin have been here since the dawn of civilization. What funny things you people write, it really astounds me.
Also kindly make it a point to check your spellings. That will make your posts more readable.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes, there are two questions implied, one directed to those who believe in Christ, which is "why do you believe in Christ?" and one directed to those who believe in other religions, which is "Why do you not believe in Chirst?"

I believe in Christ as a synonym for Avatar as Rama, Krishna, Buddha and others including Jesus.

joe1776

... "Why do you not believe in Chirst?"
The founders of traditional Christianity didn't understand that genuine love is always unconditional. They created a god more like an arrogant human king, a god who will forgive repentant serial killers who worship him but torture non-believers in Hell for eternity even if they never harmed a soul.

If a Creator exists, and I do allow the possibility, the founders of Christianity knew no more about it than I do.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They created a god more like an arrogant human king, a god who will forgive repentant serial killers who worship him but torture non-believers in Hell for eternity even if they never harmed a soul.
Where are you getting this from? The New Testament says no such thing about otherwise decent people going to hell for being another religion.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Saved from our own sins, our own egoism, our own senseless pride, our own evil passions;
in summary, saved from ourselves.
Saved how, and when? Are there specific practices that you do that helps you move beyond the ego, and pride, and desires? Do you have a mediation practice, or does salvation happen behind the scenes without our participation or direct awareness of change? In other words, what is the tangible evidence one can look at themselves and believe they are in fact saved from their egos?

A deep interior change is then necessary for all of us to reach the eternal happiness; we must be sanctified and purified from all our evil and sinful desires. God has the power to change us but He wants to do that with our consent.
This all sounds about right, but again, is this transformation participatory, or is it just something that happens by saying "I agree to it", without us doing anything more than that? What is the evidence of this change, and how does it happen in practical terms?

Man cannot really accept to be changed by God and he cannot be in comunion with God as long as even a shadow of doubt and distrust remains in his heart ( it must be stressed that such a distrust may exist even without the man is aware of it, at the unconscious level).
This does not sound about right. This sound wrong. There is this wise saying that comes out of Zen Buddhism, which I believe applies to the Christian faith, or any faith system whatsoever, whatever that may be:

Great doubt, great awakening
Little doubt, little awakening
No doubt, no awakening.

The reason why doubt is necessary, is because doubt is the servant of faith. Without doubt, you are not open and cannot receive truth and insight, or correction. In other words, without doubt to help break down error, faith is stalled, or halted altogether.

Faith uses doubt to help us to grow. Without growth, there is no transformation. Without transformation, there is no salvation. There is only us, confidently assured that we are right in our beliefs, and that those will save us. And that is itself an error, which doubt hopes to break down in order for truth to enter to us, from above, in this case.

In order to destroy every shadow of doubt and distrust in our heart, God has chosen to give us the greatest proof of love that may exist: Christ's Passion.
I think it is correct to trust in God. I think it is incorrect to not doubt our ideas about God. To do that, is to worship a projection of our own egos upon the face of God. Do you see any room for doubt in your beliefs?