• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I believe God's knowledge is limited.

Scriptures that indicate God has limited His knowledge.

There are many passages in the Bible that indicate God does not necessarily know what man will do. The following are just a few of them. This picture of a creator who chooses to not know what his creature will do shows up right at the beginning of the Bible in the creation account itself .

"Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them." Genesis 2:19

If God is all-knowing of what man will do, why was He so inquisitive of what Adam would do?

Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth,... for I regret that I have made them." Genesis 6:5-7

How can a wise God do something that He knows He will regret in the future? This passage clearly implies that, had God known when He created man that he would become as evil as he did, He would not have created him! Thus, He did not know. God knew it was a possibility that man could turn toward ultimate evil. That is part of the risk He took in relinquishing control and giving man a free will. But that is not the same as knowing man would become as evil as he did. God had higher hopes for His creation.

But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. And the Lord said, "Indeed, the people are one and they all have one language..." Genesis 11:5,6

Gathering information again! And obviously, it was information He didn't completely possess before.

And the Lord said, "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous, I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know." Genesis 18:20,21

It sounds like He didn't know for sure and was going on a fact-finding mission again!

But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." And He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me." Genesis 22:11,12

Again, "now I know", as though He wasn't completely sure before.

Now the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying, "I greatly regret that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." 1Samuel 15:11

How can an intelligent God do something He knew He would wish He hadn't done?

"And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin." Jeremiah 32:35 (see also Jeremiah 7:31 and 19:5)

God said Himself that it never came into His mind!!

PureX

Veteran Member
I can't think of a good reason to let old religious texts dictate to me what God can or can't know. So for me, the debate is a non-starter.

It's an interesting question, I suppose, but from my perspective, "God" is such a profound mystery that I would feel a bit arrogant venturing to guess at what God "knows". I suspect that the nature of what I call "God" would be so far beyond my ability to comprehend that the question is probably not even relevant.

Bird123

There are many passages in the Bible that indicate God does not necessarily know what man will do. The following are just a few of them. This picture of a creator who chooses to not know what his creature will do shows up right at the beginning of the Bible in the creation account itself .

"Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them." Genesis 2:19

If God is all-knowing of what man will do, why was He so inquisitive of what Adam would do?

Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth,... for I regret that I have made them." Genesis 6:5-7

How can a wise God do something that He knows He will regret in the future? This passage clearly implies that, had God known when He created man that he would become as evil as he did, He would not have created him! Thus, He did not know. God knew it was a possibility that man could turn toward ultimate evil. That is part of the risk He took in relinquishing control and giving man a free will. But that is not the same as knowing man would become as evil as he did. God had higher hopes for His creation.

But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. And the Lord said, "Indeed, the people are one and they all have one language..." Genesis 11:5,6

Gathering information again! And obviously, it was information He didn't completely possess before.

And the Lord said, "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous, I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know." Genesis 18:20,21

It sounds like He didn't know for sure and was going on a fact-finding mission again!

But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." And He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me." Genesis 22:11,12

Now the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying, "I greatly regret that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." 1Samuel 15:11

"And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin." Jeremiah 32:35 (see also Jeremiah 7:31 and 19:5)

You conclude that God's knowledge is limited. Why do you conclude the writers of your scriptures are not limited? Maybe it is the writers who do not have a clue. That's what I am seeing.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

This demonstrates the problem with believing that the Bible speaks for God. The Bible was written by men who spoke for God. As such, it is not inerrant. Also, the Bible was not intended to be interpreted literally, as if God was actually thinking and talking and doing things. It is written from a human perspective but God is not a human.

One thing I just do not like about the OT is that it anthropomorphizes God. God cannot make mistakes because God is infallible so God cannot have regrets. Only humans can have regrets because only humans can make mistakes.

Of course God knows everything, God is omniscient. But the fact that God knows everything that will happen before during and after it happens is not what causes things to happen. Of course God knew man would commit evil. Maybe God had hopes that man would choose not to commit as much evil but that evil was caused by humans and humans have free will so it was always a choice.

following are just a few of them. This picture of a creator who chooses to not know what his creature will do shows up right at the beginning of the Bible in the creation account itself .

I don’t think that tells about what God knows. It tells more about how people are treated like little children.

...."And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin." Jeremiah 32:35 (see also Jeremiah 7:31 and 19:5)

It is interesting how you seem to see only part of what is said. It says “…nor did it come into My mind that they should do this…”. There is the word “should”, which changes the meaning, when you conveniently ignore it. Why you did so? If you would have solid point, you would not need to do that.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Nice study.
I have more appreciation for someone who studies the Bible, and accepts it in light of what it says, rather than try to interpret it, based on what they think, or believe... either by their own wisdom, or what they were taught.

So many people form their own ideas about God, that when they read passages in the Bible, which don't fit their worldview - because that's what it is, their worldview - they dismiss those texts as "the word of men", and are ready to throw the Bible one side, and replace it with their own thinking.
Yet, when it is convenient, they quote other parts of the Bible, and say, "the word of God says..." or "God said...".

It's refreshing to find someone who does not do that, but who reads the Bible as the writers claim it to be - the word of the sovereign lord - and accept what is written.
There is no getting around it. One either accepts the Bible as the word of God, or they don't. It cannot be both.

I agree with you. God limits his knowledge... because he can. He is sovereign, almighty, and he does what he pleases, according to his good pleasure... and woe to that man that says, "what are you doing?"
God can know everything, or he can choose not to.

The key is in trying to understand what we read.
So, well done.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Yeah, and then we have these, which indicate omniscience:

Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.

1 John 3:20
in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.

Psalm 139:4
Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all.

Hebrews 4:13
And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Psalm 44:21
Would not God find this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart.

Job 28:24
For he looks to the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens.

Matthew 10:30
But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.

Jeremiah 1:5
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
Isaiah 46:9-10
Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.​

To me each position has its merits, which means that once again we have evidence that the Bible is filled with crazy contradictions. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah, and then we have these, which indicate omniscience:

Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.

1 John 3:20
in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.

Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all.

Hebrews 4:13
And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Psalm 44:21
Would not God find this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart.

Job 28:24
For he looks to the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens.

Matthew 10:30
But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.

Jeremiah 1:5
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
Isaiah 46:9-10
Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.​
To me each position has its merits, which means that once again we have evidence that the Bible is filled with crazy contradictions. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
There are many contradictions in the Bible, but people also misunderstand and misinterpret the Bible. The reason people do not think God knows everything is because those verses that were cited were written from the perspective of a man, and they are not what God was thinking, saying, or doing.

Of course God knows everything humans will do, before during and after humans do it, because God's knowledge encompasses the reality of all things, but God does not cause those things to happen. Humans cause what God knows will happen to happen.

“Question.—If God has knowledge of an action which will be performed by someone, and it has been written on the Tablet of Fate, is it possible to resist it?
Answer.—The foreknowledge of a thing is not the cause of its realization; for the essential knowledge of God surrounds, in the same way, the realities of things, before as well as after their existence, and it does not become the cause of their existence. It is a perfection of God........

Therefore, the knowledge of God in the realm of contingency does not produce the forms of the things. On the contrary, it is purified from the past, present and future. It is identical with the reality of the things; it is not the cause of their occurrence........

The mathematicians by astronomical calculations know that at a certain time an eclipse of the moon or the sun will occur. Surely this discovery does not cause the eclipse to take place. This is, of course, only an analogy and not an exact image.”
Some Answered Questions, pp. 138-139

35: PREDESTINATION