• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I believe America will soon lose its democracy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I agree. Putin-style - or Erdogan-style - elections, that keeps a ruling Republican party in power, seems the most likely route, accompanied by massive distrust and cynicism about the election system that keeps voter turnout low. A less likely outcome is that Democrats win the next election, whereupon the civil war option would be triggered, by Republicans refusing to accept the result.

Either way, US genuine democracy is likely to end, brought down, ironically, by the party of Abraham Lincoln.
No. Democrats will accomplish that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I haven’t seen that as much as republicans but really it’s only Trump who caught my attention.
It's the threat of democratic centralism more than any individual politician that has me concerned.

Trump is gone and I doubt he will be back in office in spite of the rhetoric of a one man takeover.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What a crock. The last election was stolen by the left suppressing information.

Simply false. Even Trump appointed judges threw out his fraudulent claims. Even his own cabinet told him his claims were not supported. Even conservative republicans in charge of the elections said Trump lost.

You have been taken in by Trump's lies.

PureX

Veteran Member
Our end was written back in the late 70s when Milton Friedman declared 'greed is good' and we all nodded our heads in assent. At that moment we gave the wealthiest and already overly powerful elite in this country permission to do whatever it took to amass as much wealth and power as they possibly could, regardless of how it effected anyone else. And the rest of us have accepted their resulting abuse and exploitation dutifully ever since. ... Because we believe greed is good.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you serious? Hunter Biden's name ring a bell?

Suppose that what is said about the laptop is true: that Hunter arranged a meeting between his dad and a Ukrainian energy executive. Suppose that later dad put pressure to stop an investigation into his son. Suppose that is true.

How does that remotely compare to Trump trying to pressure election officials into changing the results of the election? How does that remotely compare to the blatant nepotism of Trump putting his own family into positions of executive power? How does that remotely compare to cutting off aid to Ukraine when it was under threat by Russia because Trump wanted the Hunter case prosecuted?

And, let's not forget that the claimed meeting between daddy Biden and the executive actually did not take place.

this 'scandal' is a complete non-issue.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sadly, there is no cure for the unconscionable and malignant resistance to evidence demonstrated by the right. Whether or not we can sustain a tenuous democracy will depend primarily on that portion of the electorate that chooses not to vote, either because of an irresponsible disinterest, or due to a shallow belief that "they're all the same."

Whatever the future, Joseph de Maistre's observation is true. To paraphrase: "In a democracy people get the leaders they deserve."

RestlessSoul

Watched this last night,”Unfit:The psychology of Donal Trump”,funny and scary,his assault on democracy,comparisons to Hitler Mussolini Putin etc.

Really I was flabbergasted when America elected this man but much more worrying are the people who put him there,if Trump mirrors a substantial amount of American people who are willing to kiss goodbye to democracy your in deep **** IMO.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, I have to ask, have you seen our bloody government? Not sure we are in any position to be appalled by America, especially when they actually voted their malignant narcissistic out of office, a year after ours won an 80 seat majority in Parliament.

GardenLady

As far as represed stories goes, was the Hunter Biden laptop story suppressed?

What office is Hunter Biden running for? (None) What influence does he have in the current administration? (None)

If family behavior is your yardstick, let's talk about the wife of a Supreme Court Justice pushing to overturn an election and disrupt the peaceful transition of power. If a family member of a democrat did what Ginni Thomas did, the GOP would be wetting their pants and having round-the-clock hearings.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Whilst I agree with most of what you say, I have to ask, have you seen our bloody government? Not sure we are in any position to be appalled by America, especially when they actually voted their malignant narcissistic out of office, a year after ours won an 80 seat majority in Parliament.

Boris was voted in with a majority not because he was liked but because of people in our country saw the opposition as wanting to take our democracy away by going back on the referendum,other than that I agree with you.

Wandering Monk

Our end was written back in the late 70s when Milton Friedman declared 'greed is good' and we all nodded our heads in assent. At that moment we gave the wealthiest and already overly powerful elite in this country permission to do whatever it took to amass as much wealth and power as they possibly could, regardless of how it effected anyone else. And the rest of us have accepted their resulting abuse and exploitation dutifully ever since. ... Because we believe greed is good.

As in Germany and Italy in the 1930's and 1940's, the wealthy will eventually become toadies of the regime, living in fear. They will be ruled by those they helped put in power.

pearl

You're almost there, America. How are you going to find your way back to a real democracy, "a Republic, if you can keep it?"

I sincerely hope that these Congressional hearings into Jan 6 are going to reach a larger enough audience to make a difference to those who normally pay little attention. I understand it will never change the mindset of those whose sole purpose is for political power no matter what.

pearl

You're almost there, America. How are you going to find your way back to a real democracy, "a Republic, if you can keep it?"

Exiting the Constitutional Convention Benjamin Franklin was approached by a group of citizens asking what sort of government the delegates had created. His answer was: "A republic, if you can keep it." The brevity of that response should not cause us to under-value its essential meaning: democratic republics are not merely founded upon the consent of the people, they are also absolutely dependent upon the active and informed involvement of the people for their continued good health.

Don't forget that the emperors of ancient Rome kept the Senate around for form while actually ruling with an iron fist.

According to Justice Souter,
“That is how the Roman republic fell,” “Augustus became emperor not because he arrested the Roman senate. He became emperor because he promised that he would solve problems that were not being solved.”

RestlessSoul

As far as I'm concerned. Unless you prefer kings and queens as your rulers.

A74C8B96-60C8-4B06-8953-8F7D8813F0CC.jpeg