• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Honour the Cross ?

Neuropteron

Christendom honours the instrument that Jesus was tortured to death with.

Have you ever wondered why?
Does the Bible anywhere, ask Christians to do that?

Perhaps Bible history has some answers.
In the inner courtyard of the temple in Jerusalem, Ezekiel reports, “Look! there the women were sitting, weeping over the god Tammuz.”—Ezek. 8:14.
Who was this Tammuz? He was the Babylonian and Syrian god of vegetation. At the time of great heat (in sommer) the vegetation withered or died, it was this death that represented the death of Tammuz and was bewailed annually by Israel's idolatrous worshippers until his alleged resurrection.

The religious symbol of Tammuz, is represented by the first letter of his name, which is an ancient "tau", a cross. Additionally, Tammuz is said by some to be an incarnation of Nimrod who was an avowed enemie of God.
In Ezekiel days, the attempt to introduce the pagan cross into the temple at Jerusalem failed, but what about the sign of the cross today?

This image or object on which Christendom claim Christ was put to death on, is considered the foremost symbol of Christianity.
Could it be said that, regardless of shape or form, an instrument of torture is a questionable item of veneration or symbol of faith?
Could this be especially true because the second of the ten commandments forbids it?”You must not make a carved image or a form like anything in the heavens, on the earth, or in the waters under the earth,” ....(Ex 20:4-6.)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

In the inner courtyard of the temple in Jerusalem, Ezekiel reports, “Look! there the women were sitting, weeping over the god Tammuz.”—Ezek. 8:14.
Who was this Tammuz? He was the Babylonian and Syrian god of vegetation. At the time of great heat (in sommer) the vegetation withered or died, it was this death that represented the death of Tammuz and was bewailed annually by Israel's idolatrous worshippers until his alleged resurrection.

The religious symbol of Tammuz, is represented by the first letter of his name, which is an ancient "tau", a cross. Additionally, Tammuz is said by some to be an incarnation of Nimrod who was an avowed enemie of God.
In Ezekiel days, the attempt to introduce the pagan cross into the temple at Jerusalem failed, but what about the sign of the cross today?

This image or object on which Christendom claim Christ was put to death on, is considered the foremost symbol of Christianity.
Could it be said that, regardless of shape or form, an instrument of torture is a questionable item of veneration or symbol of faith?
Could this be especially true because the second of the ten commandments forbids it?”You must not make a carved image or a form like anything in the heavens, on the earth, or in the waters under the earth,” ....(Ex 20:4-6.)

The entire Biblical obsession with animal/human sacrifice as necessities to magically "atone" for our sins is morbid and unjust.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe the cross is more than this to Christians. 'The Cross' is used as a euphemism for the sacrifice, atonement &c. and was also a very easy and useful graphic by which to recognise each other. I doubt anyone intended this, but it became Christianity's major symbol simply since it's very memorable and represents their core beliefs.

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

The Cross is the Christians identity with Jesus Christ the rejected. He Who is rejected by Israel and the World, we identify with.

Good-Ole-Rebel

danieldemol

Premium Member
it was this death that represented the death of Tammuz and was bewailed annually by Israel's idolatrous worshippers until his alleged resurrection.
How interesting, a resurrection that you were not raised to believe in is “alleged” when the one you were raised to believe in has just as little evidence (ie none) to support it.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

I see the cross as the crux (literally "cross" in latin) of life and death. It is the point at which the ego is sacrificed to understand its oneness with the Universe (Christ and God, Man and the Divine, the micro and macrocosm). It is the crossroads where the ultimate crisis must be confronted and resolved.

shmogie

Without the cross, yes a cross, not a torture stake, salvation for the world would not exist.

The cross represents salvation.

Trying to tie the cross used by the Romans to some pagan god is typical JW behavior. Whatever Christendom does that they don't like, this association process occurs.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I do have a different approach
visually it seems the same as anyone else

a custom ring I made.....with a cross on the flat
simple

but should anyone ask
Nay.....I don't use the word Christian on myself

the symbol on my finger is a constant reminder that crucifixion is the end result
of man made law

and this world will crucify anyone.....ANYONE

even if you CAN walk on water

Wandering Monk

Veneration of the cross seems to be how the early Christians overcame the cognitive dissonance arising from messianic expectations and reality of a crucified savior. They turn a sign o defeat into a sign of victory.

Does the Bible anywhere, ask Christians to do that?...

I think Christians have probably many ideas of the cross and its meanings. I don’t think most of them honor it. For many it is just a symbol that reminds of what happened. It also can remind of this:

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it.
Matt. 16:24-25

But I agree, if it is worshiped or kept as some kind of idol, it is wrong and against Bible teachings. For disciples of Jesus (“Christians”), the words of Jesus should be much more important.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
And your point is? The Christians don't reject Jesus Christ. They idenitfy with Jesus Christ in His rejection.

Good-Ole-Rebel

My point is you characterised Jesus Christ as 'He who is rejected by the World'.
For a lot of reasons I find that hard to nod along with.

Neuropteron

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it.
Matt. 16:24-25[/I]
John 8:31-32

Hi
In Mt 16 the words "take up his cross" are incorrectly translated. In Coine Greek the word used was "stauros".
This word means an upright stake, a pole, or tree trunk. There is no evidence that Matthew used it to designate a stake with a crossbeam.

appriciate your comment, thanks

Neuropteron

I see the cross as the crux (literally "cross" in latin) of life and death. It is the point at which the ego is sacrificed to understand its oneness with the Universe (Christ and God, Man and the Divine, the micro and macrocosm). It is the crossroads where the ultimate crisis must be confronted and resolved.

Hi
This might be of interest to you.

The Latin dictionary by Lewis and Short gives the basic meaning of the first century definition of "crux", it states that crux means a mere stake.
"Cross is only a later meaning of crux.

As in time, the definition of crux changed to mean a stake with an added beam, the term "crux simplex" was used.
An Illustrations by Justus Lipsius (1547-1606) exists which depicts a person on a stake with the superscript "crux simplex illustrated" (De cruce libri tres, Antwerp, 1629 p19)

Cheers