• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Hobbes?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Ever since I have joined this forum, my avatar has been some version of Hobbes from the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. It is one of my favorite comics of all time and I thought it would be fun to share my favorite parts. Also, I would like to answer the question: of all of the characters in the strip, why Hobbes?

It is no secret that I am big fan. I own the complete collection and my girlfriend made me a gorgeous crochet blanket depicting this scene:

iu

For those who might not be aware of what this comic is about, here is an excerpt of a summary:

Calvin and Hobbes follows the humorous antics of the title characters: Calvin, a precocious, mischievous and adventurous six-year-old boy; and Hobbes, his sardonic stuffed tiger. Set in the contemporary suburban United States, the strip depicts Calvin's frequent flights of fancy and friendship with Hobbes. It also examines Calvin's relationships with family and classmates, especially the love/hate relationship between him and his classmate Susie Derkins. Hobbes' dual nature is a defining motif for the strip: to Calvin, Hobbes is a living anthropomorphic tiger, while all the other characters see Hobbes as an inanimate stuffed toy. Though the series does not frequently mention specific political figures or contemporary events, it does explore broad issues like environmentalism, public education, philosophical quandaries and the flaws of opinion polls.

All of that aside, back to Hobbes...

Hobbes is Calvin's best friend throughout the series. He offers a humorous, playful counter to Calvin who tends to be spontaneous and often unaware of his own hypocrisy (he is a kid, after all). But what draws me to Hobbes the most is the way Calvin approaches their relationship. Remember, Hobbes, as portrayed in the comic when he is having discussions with Calvin, is purely from Calvin's imagination. That means, when Hobbes offers rebuttals and arguments to Calvin, Calvin (on a deeper level) is having rebuttals and arguments with himself. After all, Hobbes as we know and understand him from a realistic perspective is just a stuffed animal. He has no original thought of his own, it all originates from Calvin.

Hobbes stands as a metaphorical figure that represents the necessity to challenge ones own assumptions, positions, biases, and thoughts. The relationship between Calvin and Hobbes is much deeper than the playful comic leads us to believe. It demonstrates how important acts such as forgiveness, humor, and love are when we meditate on our own actions. It also illustrates how difficult that relationship is through conflict, arguments, and difficult decisions.

The relationship between Calvin and Hobbes is very complicated. It explores many layers of who we are, as people, and how we cope with the world around us. The frustrations expressed by Calvin are sometimes accepted by Hobbes and they are also rejected. Sometimes they are played off with a punch line, too. Hobbes, to me, represents how difficult it can be to cope with the world.

Hobbes is not infallible either, and he makes mistakes (which is important). This shows us that even in our best dialogues, we can still find ourselves on the wrong end of an argument or conflict.

I use Hobbes as my avatar at work, in my email, and on all forums that I participate in. Hobbes serves as a reminder to me to approach life as playfully as I can. Cheerfully calling my own assumptions into question to attempt to reason with the world in the best way I can. There is no malice in Hobbes and I attempt to ensure there is no malice in my approach, either. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I fail. That's okay, that is expected. What is important is to handle failures with grace and forgiveness. Hobbes embodies that in one of my favorite comics from the series:

iu

Take care!
-Q

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm a fan as well but not to your level. Years and years ago, I saw and saved this interchange:

Calvin: "Mom, Can I have some money to buy a satan-worshiping,
suicide-advocating heavy metal album?"

Mom: "Calvin, The fact that these bands haven't killed themselves
in ritual self-sacrifice shows that they're just in it for the
money like everyone else. It's all for effect. If you want to
shock and provoke, be sincere about it."

Calvin: "Mainstream commercial nihilism can't be trusted?!"

Mom: "'Fraid not, kiddo."

Calvin: "Childhood is so disillusioning."

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Why Hobbs? Well ah . . . ,because there is a Calvin.

Why is there a Calvin . . .?

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I own the complete collection

So do I! I love them.
I always think of Hobbes as being a certain kind of English (tiger) rather than American. He's the very embodiment of refinement and understatement. Examples: On meeting a new person he says "Charmed." And when he and Calvin are about to plunge into a ravine in Calvin's cart Hobbes says in reference to the impending catastrophe "I note with some dismay..."

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Ever since I have joined this forum, my avatar has been some version of Hobbes from the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. It is one of my favorite comics of all time and I thought it would be fun to share my favorite parts. Also, I would like to answer the question: of all of the characters in the strip, why Hobbes?
As an obedient (and spanked) son, I have trouble understanding Calvin. It always surprises me when rambunctious evil little children grow up and learn manners. In fact Calvin annoys me. Is he a normal child who may not wind up in prison? I don't know.

Hobbes is fantastic. I have no problem with Hobbes. Hobbes has a future.

Is that why you chose Hobbes instead of Calvin? Or is it that you are like Calvin?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
"Set in the contemporary suburban United States, "
at the risk of being more Watterson than thou, Calvin is Canadian.

I've considered changing my avatar to evil Calvin. As a long time RFer I'm sure you understand why.:oops:
Tom

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
As an obedient (and spanked) son, I have trouble understanding Calvin. It always surprises me when rambunctious evil little children grow up and learn manners. In fact Calvin annoys me. Is he a normal child who may not wind up in prison? I don't know.

Hobbes is fantastic. I have no problem with Hobbes. Hobbes has a future.

Is that why you chose Hobbes instead of Calvin? Or is it that you are like Calvin?
Right, exactly. Hobbes offers more reason and thought to balance out the brat that is Calvin. As a character, I think he is great for parents to relate to when their children annoy them. :D

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

One of the best OPs I've seen in a looooong time! Fantastic, thank you sooooo much.

I'm also a huge fan of the strip. In many dangerous situations (e.g. sledding down a ravine), Calvin gets a certain, reckless gleam in his eye and set to his jaw. Our dog loved, loved, loved to chase and be chased. When he was being chased, he would get that exact same expression on his face, we called it "Calvin mode".