• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have the monkeys stayed as monkeys?

Bear Wild

But humans do talk and apes cannot. Why say humans are apes, please?

Regards
What an arrogant human centric thing to say. All apes communicate to each other but I suspect you are referring to a complex language including written language which we are the only apes that posses it. Bird songs and sounds are very complex and can have syntax. Apes can learn aspects of sign language. So in your imagination formal language alone can remove us from the classification of apes despite all of the other similarities that show just how related we are.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What an arrogant human centric thing to say. All apes communicate to each other but I suspect you are referring to a complex language including written language which we are the only apes that posses it. Bird songs and sounds are very complex and can have syntax. Apes can learn aspects of sign language. So in your imagination formal language alone can remove us from the classification of apes despite all of the other similarities that show just how related we are.
I am not a biologist.
I am an ordinary man in the street like millions in the world. I just want to know in easy way. Our ancestors millions of years ago might have been apes but right now we are no more apes. Our G-d taught us languages to speak with eloquence and to write to conserve our knowledge and He had Conversed with us humans and given us, as I understand, Word to guide us. And that is a big difference. Right, please?
Please don't be angry. Right, please?

Regards

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I am not a biologist.
I am an ordinary man in the street like millions in the world. I just want to know in easy way. Our ancestors millions of years ago might have been apes but right now we are no more apes. Our G-d taught us languages to speak with eloquence and to write to conserve our knowledge and He had Conversed with us humans and given us, as I understand, Word to guide us. And that is a big difference. Right, please?

Regards
Except that we are still apes.
Your dislike of the word does not change it.

Bear Wild

I am not a biologist.

Regards

Humans created language thus the diversity seen among humans. The ability to use language is the result of evolution not a god. This is clearly demonstrated with such gene as the foxp2 gene. Humans have an additional mutation that increases humans language capacity. How much difference than chimpanzees? Two amino acid substitutions. So our foxp2 gene which has at least 716 amino acids in its sequence there are only two that are different from chimpanzees to humans. Even if rounded up that is only a 0.3% difference. That small difference expressed itself with amazing capacity but in the end when looking at how we are made we are still apes. Small evolutionary change results in large evolutionary expression.

You make the statement that god taught humans language. exactly what evidence do you have for this. It would seem that one god one language makes more sense but that is not what we have.
god taught humans

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
if the chimp didn't do it.....then God did

Humans and chimps share ancestry. Chimps are not the ancestors of humans.
On the species scale, chimps and humans are cousins.

but hey....Someone had to be first born AS human
and the mother was something …...less

No. Just like no latin speaking mother has ever raised a spanish speaking child.
Every newborn, ever, is/was of the same species as its direct ancestors.

More precisely, every newborn is a slightly modified version of its parents.
That "slightly modified" accumulates over the generations. So if you take a reference generation... then every next generation is a slight modifcation of the one that produced it. After x amount of generations, the current generation will be a very big modified version of the reference generation.

And that's how you get to chimps and humans, starting with a single ancestral ape species some 7 million years ago.

It's also how you get to spanish and italian speaking population starting from a latin speaking population.
All three are "still" roman languages. And will remain so.

such is evolution
the offspring would NOT be the same as the parent

No. Such is the strawman version of evolution that creationists tend to argue against.
Actual evolution doesn't work like that at all.

so similar....but so different

A lot more similar then different. A LOT more.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
poor analogy

language is cognitive and taught

No. Perfect analogy.
Every child ever raised, spoke the SAME language as its direct parents AND its peers in the same population.

Yet somehow, latin turned into french, spanish, italian and portugese.

At no point in history was there a time were an individual was raised a french speaker in a latin speaking population.

Instead, every new generation spoke a slightly different language.
We observe this within our own lifetime as well.

Plenty of pronounciations have changed over the past decades due to influence of dialects etc.
Go pick up an "english" book of only 200 years ago and compare that to the english spoken and written today.
Or go back 500 years and compare that.

Do you think a medieval english speaker raised a modern english speaker?
Did an individual "invent" modern english?

No.

Instead, modern english gradually developed / evolved from medieval english by pretty much the same principles as are active in biology. Slight modifications over time being passed on over the generations.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
But humans do talk and apes cannot. Why say humans are apes, please?

Regards

Because humans are biologically apes.

It's impossible to define what an "ape" is in such a way that it includes ALL apes yet excludes humans without arbitrarily adding "...but not humans".

Humans are apes, just like humans are mammals, chordates, vertebrates, eukaryotes,...

Great ape Definition and Examples - Biology Online Dictionary

The great apes possess the following distinctive features: relatively larger body frame, hairless face, protrusive lips, flat nails, and complex fingertips

How do humans not fit that description?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
language is not inherited

it is taught
To a limited sense it is also intrinsic based on species. Human babies cry when hungry, thus not having to be taught it. Different species of birds have different "calls" to attract mates.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and I could imitate the noises of primates

but that means nothing to me
and not likely to them

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To a limited sense it is also intrinsic based on species. Human babies cry when hungry, thus not having to be taught it. Different species of birds have different "calls" to attract mates.
But that is no comparison to human eloquent languages taught to humans by Allah/G-d under a process. Right, please?

Regards

ManSinha

But that is no comparison to human eloquent languages taught to humans by Allah/G-d under a process

What is your proof outside the Qu'ran that any such thing even exists? Where is the proof that this Allah you speak of, actually exists? If you do not have proof that is convincing why should we believe you or agree with your nonsensical statements?