• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have laws ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jamaesi just made a point in another thread about the uslessness of certain laws.

I know I am not an 'ordinary' person; I am some sort of social misfit - I see things differently from the way most people do..............

I was astounded - yes, that shocked, when walking around town the other day. In a popular shop (a chain of stores) I saw a speed camera sensing device, right there, on the front shelves, displayed for all to see.

OK so I am, like I said, 'different' I feel sometimes so alien I feel like screaming.

We have the police put up speed cameras.

In order to be allowed to put up the cameras, the police have to prove the need for them, at that particular place. They achieve that when a certain number of fatalities have occorred on that road, where the camera is to go.

The next thing is, that of course, the police would be so 'unfair' as to try and catch speeding cars that the cameras have to be advertized, and be painted bright yellow.

So, in other words, the poor evil idiot who insists on driving his car too fast must be warned if there is a trap ahead; not only must he be warned, but he can go in a public store who can adverise police fooling equipment ?

What sort of distorted, twisted morality is this ?..............ought I put a notice in front of my house saying "This house has no alarm, therefore safe to break into for any burglar" ?????????

I really am sorry, I should never have posted this; there is steam coming out of me........we are shown, time and time again the difference as to the damage to a person hit by a car at 30 m.p.h, and 40 m.p.h is injury/Death, in that order.

We are no longer allowed to use a mobile phone in a car, while the engine is switched on, and the car is moving. Every day, I see dozens of drivers flaunting the law; a lorry driver, mobile phone in one hand, a cigarette in the other.

What makes us all think the law is there to be broken?

Am I the only idiot who gets worked up over issues such as this ? we are talking about the potential killing of other individuals, because we choose not to follow rules, because they do not "suit" us.....:mad:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
But aren't most people law abiding?
If they are, then they don't drive past the camera at the top of the road.

I guarantee that if I stood near the camera, and somehow could gauge the speed of cars, at least 60% of cars accelarate as soon as they pass the camera; everyday I see at least two cars go through red light while walking the dog. Everyday I see someone on a mobile; every day, I see people coming out of a bar and drive away.

Whatever the statistics, the thing that gets me is that the police are forced, by law to warn motorists that they are going to check on their speed. That is the point I cannot get over.............the need to warthat over a patch of 100 yards, you need to drive within the speed limit; upto the start of the marked lines, and after the camera ? Do whatever speed you like.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jamaesi said:
... Where? :eek:

My name is Jamaesi and my memory sucks. : D
Well, I interpreted it that way, in: Religious Education / Debate / General Debates
Setting 'minimum' ages

No matter what they set the age at, the kids are going to find a way to get them.
(cigarettes, alcohol, whatever)

The point is, I am not saying you are wrong; you are most likely right. The point I was making is why bother to have laws if you know that people are going to break them, and have to ask for permission to try and enforce them.....

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Ahhh. I think it's more of the motive of the law (somewhere someone is having more fun than me and that must be stopped VS we need to protect innocents!) and will it work.

Obviously making laws about drugs doesn't work as people continue to do them and in some cases just makes them more attractive. Some other approach should be tried.

But like with things that can hurt others like speeding or going through lights or driving while using drugs so on- those need regulated.

: )

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was surprised at your astonishment over finding what we in the States call a "radar detector" on a store shelf, Michel. Are these things new in Britain? They certainly aren't over here (for better or ill)!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Seyorni said:
I was surprised at your astonishment over finding what we in the States call a "radar detector" on a store shelf, Michel. Are these things new in Britain? They certainly aren't over here (for better or ill)!
No, I guess I have seen them advertized in newspapers; somehow, the sale of them in an ordinary chain store seems to be a complete gesture of 'anarchy' at the police..........

Well, one member has agreed with me.....so I am not the only one.........:D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, they are illegal in some states here, though no-one would have any difficulty obtaining one out-of-state.

In a way, this competition between police and motorists fuels progress in electronic technology.
The the police find a way around the radar detectors, then the detector manufacturers find a way to flummox the police "fix," then the police find a way to override the new detector technology, ad infinitum.