• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has there never been a documentary on Mohammad

Cooky

Veteran Member
I wish there was a documentary on History Channel that showed how Mohammad the Islamic Prophet lived. I would like to see the details of how he went about his life, with accurate and most likely historical detail.

...Does anyone else wish they could see this? Maybe in a 3 or 4 part series..?

Why not do it?

sooda

Veteran Member
I wish there was a documentary on History Channel that showed how Mohammad the Islamic Prophet lived. I would like to see the details of how he went about his life, with accurate and most likely historical detail.

Why not do it?

Well there is this and I think there was a film with Anthony Quinn...

The Message is a 1976 epic historical drama film directed by Moustapha Akkad, chronicling the life and times of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Released in Arabic and English, The Message serves as an introduction to early Islamic history. The film was nominated for Best Original Score in the 50th Academy Awards, composed by Maurice Jarre, but lost the award to Star Wars.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Okay, I'm done at 2:10 in.

...I want to watch an actor play the role of Mohammed. I want to watch how he approached villages... I want to watch how he lived.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well there is this and I think there was a film with Anthony Quinn...

The Message is a 1976 epic historical drama film directed by Moustapha Akkad, chronicling the life and times of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Released in Arabic and English, The Message serves as an introduction to early Islamic history. The film was nominated for Best Original Score in the 50th Academy Awards, composed by Maurice Jarre, but lost the award to Star Wars.

Does it show how people in his time lived, and how they likely acted? Maybe more of a re-enactment than a documentary, I guess.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

...I want to watch an actor play the role of Mohammed. I want to watch how he approached villages... I want to watch how he lived.

You will never find Muhammad portrayed by an actor. This is also applicable to the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

It is out of respect for the messenger. No man can act as a Messenger of God.

Thus you will only see it through other eyes.

The 1976 Movie the Message is a good watch. It is available on line.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's so dumb and superstitious IMO. It's not like he's God.

A Muslim knows Muhammad is not God, just as a Baha'i knows neither were the Bab and Baha'u'llah. We also know we have no idea of their suffering at our hands and in no way can act as a Messenger of God.

Thus all we would be watching is an actor trying to be.........what.......like some may think Muhammad was?

Thus no pereon should would want to try.

Regards Tony

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

The same reason a Jewish movie director doesn't make movies portraying Moses, similarly Muslims do not portray the likeness of any prophetic figure, that could be misinterpreted or in some extreme cases worshiped.

Shad

Veteran Member
You will never find Muhammad portrayed by an actor. This is also applicable to the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

Regards Tony

Questions. Would representation similar to that seen in Ben Hurr be acceptable? Would a off-screen reference such as the character talking or being talked to by a character not seen?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Questions. Would representation similar to that seen in Ben Hurr be acceptable? Would a off-screen reference such as the character talking or being talked to by a character not seen?

It depends. Wikipedia has this: While Sunni Muslims have always explicitly prohibited the depiction of Muhammad on film,[51] contemporary Shi'a scholars have taken a more relaxed attitude, stating that it is permissible to depict Muhammad, even in television or movies, if done with respect.[52]
Depictions of Muhammad - Wikipedia

Milton Platt

Why not do it?
I don't know that enough historic detail is known about him to make one part much less three or four parts.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Regards Tony
Not to mention in the case of Islam , death threats are not out of the question.