• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has the status of women become so important in our age?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
:tearsofjoy: I have a woman dressed as a prostitute telling me she needs to be more equal with men.
More equal? What's that mean? And what does one's profession have to do with their one's right to fair treatment?
In English that would be.. The society no longer tries to make a difference between male and female. I'm so glad the doctors still agree that one's sexual organs are a defining factor, even though the society is working hard to change that. :facepalm:
Nobody's disputing the anatomical differences. What we're talking about is equality of moral consideration, social status, and so on.
No. That's not dignity. But I'm sure many men who go to prostitutes are willing to tell gullible 15-year-olds that whoring is classy and dignified.
Tell me what problem you have with sex work.
Do you think it affects someone's human rights or their claim to moral consideration? Do you even believe in human rights?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, but some willingly give up all of those. Sometimes they're called feminists.
WHAT!!! :eek: Feminists want to give up their rights, dignitiy and respect? Do you hear what you're saying? Isn't that exactly the opposite of what feminists are working for?
It sounds like you have absolutely no concept of what feminism is.

The term for one giving up her rights, dignity and respect is "slave."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No. That's not dignity. But I'm sure many men who go to prostitutes are willing to tell gullible 15-year-olds that whoring is classy and dignified.

Maybe we should have some compassion towards those who feel that selling their bodies is their only option?

Maybe we should see how to allow those who really *want* to be sex workers to do so safely?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it has become an issue for a lot of reasons.

The Enlightenment showed we can and should question the assumptions handed down from a superstitious and ignorant past.

The existence of women who were the intellectual equal of men (ex, George Sand) showed that their status was more a product of education than of 'nature'.

So women started to be educated better and learned that there were ways to change the society to promote their well being and autonomy.

Over a course of a couple of centuries, their moral argument started to work and the arguments from tradition failed.

Ultimately, we started to question our assumptions and realized an injustice and started to repair it.

Similar developments happened with slavery.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
"Oppression of women" is bunkum. You have yet to disclose any evidence of their oppression outside of criminal conduct. If you view marriage as inherently "oppression," you suggest the Baha'i "faith" is little removed from outright satanism.

The preference for female empowerment these days is reversion back to mother goddess worship, nature worship, Ba'al worship and anything but the truth.

Romans 1: 22 "Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things."

In your opinion.

On the other hand, it may simply be that we recognized a long standing injustice and have sought to overcome it.

Injustices towards women range from a denial of the right to property, the denial of the right to engage politically, the denial of the right of safety in the home, the denial of the right to be paid equally for equal work, he denial of respect for their work, the limitation of options to marriage or starvation, etc.

Piculet

Most of Paul's letters were to specific churches advising them on matters specific to them. To be honest, too much is made of Paul and we need to go back to focusing on Christ first. I see most Christians on here quoting everyone but Christ.
I see christ saying in the Bible that he did not come to abolish the Law.

Piculet

or starvation
True. Young women sure have a right to starve themselves. In some societies it is nearly an obligation. Feminists don't seem worried about that. You see them on tv wearing those skinny jeans wordlessly saying to the gullible young ones, "I'm amazing because I attract the attention of men. If you cannot use your body to gain power, you will not make it in the future society which I am trying to build for money and to be looked at in disgusting ways."

Piculet

Regardless of how a person treats themselves, others still owe them at least basic human respect and I'm sure Islam teaches to treat all people with dignity and respect.
Blah blah blah. I already agreed that people sould be treated well, didn't I? So why do you go on and on about that?

Piculet

dig·ni·ty
/ˈdiɡnədē/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect

That's the most common usage for dignity and a prostitute, no matter his or her gender, deserves as much of that as you do without taking anything else into account.
No. A prostitute should be treated with respect as a human being. She is not worthy of honor or respect as a prostitute. I do not respect prostitution. I do not respect the job of a prostitute. I do not respect her choice, her decision, her preference, her dress, her manners, her goals, her actions, her beliefs or her clients. I respect only her person. That's it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
True. Young women sure have a right to starve themselves. In some societies it is nearly an obligation. Feminists don't seem worried about that. You see them on tv wearing those skinny jeans wordlessly saying to the gullible young ones, "I'm amazing because I attract the attention of men. If you cannot use your body to gain power, you will not make it in the future society which I am trying to build for money and to be looked at in disgusting ways."
And you think feminists support this?
And He didn't. He fulfilled it.
Whatever that means.....

People seem to use the passage to cherry pick the scriptures they like and ignore those they don't.

A Vestigial Mote

You COMPLETELY missed the point of the post. No surprise there... but perhaps you should re-read it with your mind set to a lower sloppiness setting?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No. I simply reject their thoughts, opinions, choices, desires, goals and manners. I have no problem with their person.
So you basically reject everything about them but you say you have no problem with their person? That doesn't make sense. You like to call women "whores" for merely dressing in certain ways, nevermind what their actual behavior is. That is very disrespectful and you do it so often that you obviously view them as lesser than you.

eik

In your opinion.

On the other hand, it may simply be that we recognized a long standing injustice and have sought to overcome it.

Injustices towards women range from a denial of the right to property, the denial of the right to engage politically, the denial of the right of safety in the home, the denial of the right to be paid equally for equal work, he denial of respect for their work, the limitation of options to marriage or starvation, etc.
"In your opinion." I do not recognize such humanistic injustices. In fact they involve idolatry of women. Whoever appointed a woman to have unlimited options as to marriage?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No. A prostitute should be treated with respect as a human being. She is not worthy of honor or respect as a prostitute. I do not respect prostitution. I do not respect the job of a prostitute. I do not respect her choice, her decision, her preference, her dress, her manners, her goals, her actions, her beliefs or her clients. I respect only her person. That's it.
Maybe it's not a choice, and how do you know what her preferences are? Maybe she dresses as the job requires for her to survive. Maybe her goal is to feed and house her children.
What determines morality, Piculet?
Blah blah blah. I already agreed that people sould be treated well, didn't I? So why do you go on and on about that?
Because your posts don't indicate you're a believer in human rights, equality, fairness or respect.