• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has the status of women become so important in our age?

Tambourine

The answer is Feminism.

From Beauvoir's The Second Sex:
Simone de Beauvoir said:
The fact that we are human beings is infinitely more important than all the peculiarities that distinguish human beings from one another [...] In both sexes is played out the same drama of the flesh and the spirit, of finitude and transcendence; both are gnawed away by time and laid in wait for by death, they have the same essential need for one another; and they can gain from their liberty the same glory. [...]

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry for not including that.

Corinthians 1 14:34

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
Ah, Christian stuff; I'm not so good at that anymore.

Piculet

In today's cosmopolitain, multi ethnic megasociety, living in discrete, self-contained tribes has become impracticable, and status hierarchies more obviously exploitative. Brute force is no longer so effective a way of keeping women and menials in their place.
In English that would be.. The society no longer tries to make a difference between male and female. I'm so glad the doctors still agree that one's sexual organs are a defining factor, even though the society is working hard to change that. :facepalm:

Piculet

Yes, an actual real prostitute is your equal in rights and in dignity and very well be your superior in many other fields who knows.
No. That's not dignity. But I'm sure many men who go to prostitutes are willing to tell gullible 15-year-olds that whoring is classy and dignified.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sorry for not including that.

Corinthians 1 14:34

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
I'm pretty sure that was the result of a specific issue and shouldn't be taken as law for all time.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, but some willingly give up all of those. Sometimes they're called feminists.
Regardless of how a person treats themselves, others still owe them at least basic human respect and I'm sure Islam teaches to treat all people with dignity and respect.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but some willingly give up all of those. Sometimes they're called feminists.
No. No-one gives those up; we only judge people as if they have done. Prostitutes, drug addicts, all the rest, have families, loved ones and backstories; they are not their clothes and their work.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

I was reading the ibn fadlan account, when he traveled in the 10th century headed north of the caspian sea. In one passage, he says that there was mixed naked bathing between men and woman among the Saqāliba people, who he was trying to convert to Islam, but under no condition did they fornicate. Fadlan fails to convince woman there to wear a veil. Adultery was apparently was doled with an equal sentence to both man and woman, however, even if we would consider it hideously barbarous. For both the man, and the woman, would then be staked to the ground and cut in half with an axe, from the 'neck to the thigh,' and then hung from trees. (1)

So I guess that kind of goes to show that things were radically different, or not everywhere the same in regard to this issue. I mean, you'd think that people who weren't concerned with making people wear clothes, wouldn't be hung up on strict relationships. Extremely different

Hopefully this is cited correctly, it's a pain in the butt

(1) Fadlan, Ibn. Part I The Book of Ahmad ibn Fadlān 921–922. Ibn Fadlan and the Land of Darkness: Arab travelers in the far north, translated by Paul Lunde and Caroline Stone. Kindle Ed., Penguin Books, 2012.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No. That's not dignity. But I'm sure many men who go to prostitutes are willing to tell gullible 15-year-olds that whoring is classy and dignified.

Might like to tell that to those Muslims who abused so many young girls in the UK - and who no doubt saw them as such, even though they were just exploited young girls really. :rolleyes:

Faithofchristian

Why, after thousands of years of oppression of women, has suddenly, man himself, began to champion her rights of equality? Even in the Bible there are passages forbidding women to openly speak, yet today, women’s rights are at the forefront of human rights battles.

Why this sudden change of heart towards women?

Where is exactly is that written at..
That women are forbidden to speak openly.