• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has BAPS changed scriptures, starting mainly with the aarti?

eggyolk

BAPS is a breakoff sect of the Swaminarayan Sampraday. They have had to change many scriptures and wrongly interpret the words to make the writings fit their mold. Let's start with the aarti:

There are two main sects of the Swaminarayan sect of Hinduism. The original Swaminarayan Sampraday and BAPS. This is an important item to be noted because the two sects have always been in bitter disputes so changing certain words helps BAPS to maybe differentiate them I don't know. The fact is that both are different and there has to be a reason why. BAPS does not have a reason but the differences are published therefore is not original research.

Here is the original version from swaminarayan nu/youth/aarti.shtml

(Bold words are what is in the original manuscript and BAPS for some reason changed them)

Charaña Saroja Tamārā, Vandu Kara Jodi; (2) Charañe Shisha Dharyāthi (2) Duhkha Nākhyā Todi… Jaya Sadguru Swai -2

With folded hands I pay my obeisances to the Lotus Feet of Shree Shajanada Swami. One’s all miseries are gone by simply surrendering to His Lotus Feet.

Nārāyaña Narabhrātā Dvijakula Tanu Dhāri; (2) Pāmara Patita Uddhāryā (2) Agañita Naranāri... Jaya Sadguru Swami -3

The Divine brothers Nara-Narayan Dev has taken birth in the brahmin family as human beings. He is the liberator of helpless and fallen souls, uncountable men and women.

This is from londonmandir baps org worship/swaminarayan-arti and it is the BAPS Version. The bolded text is what baps changed from the original sect.

Charana-saroj tamara vandu kar jodi, Prabhu vandu kar jodi; Charane chitta dharyathi (x2), dukh nakhya todi… Prabhu Jay Sadguru Swami.

I offer with folded hands my obeisance unto your lotus feet; And by offering my mind unto your lotus feet, you have torn asunder all my miseries

Narayan sukh-data dvija-kula tanu dhari, prabhu dvija-kula tanu dhari; Pamar patit udharya (x2), aganit nar-nari… Prabhu Jay Sadguru Swami

O Narayan, the bestower of bliss! You took birth in a brahmin family as a human being, And elevated innumerable abject and fallen men and women

So why did BAPS change it?

Last edited:

eggyolk

Just added the bolded text. Wouldn't this go under debate because the members of each sect claim to have the right version BAPS came after so they are wrong to began with.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
BAPS is a breakoff sect of the Swaminarayan Sampraday. They have had to change many scriptures and wrongly interpret the words to make the writings fit their mold.

Namaste,

Almost all Hindu sects are not exempt from such behavior, unfortunately.