• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why get up in the Morning?

waitasec

Veteran Member
a friend of my husband lost his legs in a car accident...he was a drummer, that was his trade his craft...a few years later he lost his wife to cancer. he often wonders why get up in the morning....
sometimes he just sleeps....

Dezzie

a friend of my husband lost his legs in a car accident...he was a drummer, that was his trade his craft...a few years later he lost his wife to cancer. he often wonders why get up in the morning....
sometimes he just sleeps....

:( I am so sorry about your friend... although... just because he lost his leg, it doesn't mean he can never drum again. I bet you he could figure out a way of playing again without his leg if he really wanted to... There are a lot of amazing people out there that manage these types of things that we could never imagine possible. They defy all odds. I am sorry about him losing his wife as well... that is a very hard things to go through I am sure... :(

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
How can you find these things override the tremendous awe in the world?

Yes, there is sorrow. It's a teaspoon compared to the gallon jug of awesome. Sounds to me like you need to stop watching the news. Watching news gives a the false sense that bad/sorrowful events are more common than they actually are. Plus, much is about point of view. Often times we create our own sorrow by supposing that the world "ought" to be some particular way. Then we make ourselves upset when it inevitably fails to conform to our unreasonable expectations of it. It makes me laugh sometimes.

The ex-Marxist in me is crying out that this is nothing more then an opiate

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
I have plenty of good reasons to get up in the morning and my life is filled with so much to be thankful for. But I have noticed that more and more this world does not feel like home and I long for eternity with Christ. So there are mornings when I am not too motivated to get up. I pray for the right attitude of gratefulness and joy. I remember that my life is not my own, I was bought with a heavy price and I belong to the Lord. I am gladly His servant whatever the day or this life may hold as long as it continues. As I remember I am here to serve Him and others and not myself and when I trust His will and plans I find strength, joy, and hope for each day.

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2

Why live though? Why not hop on the first plan to Egypt and die a Martyr's death at 17?

The longer I live, the more a sin and fail, therefore should I not despise longevity?

InChrist

Free4ever
Why live though? Why not hop on the first plan to Egypt and die a Martyr's death at 17?

The longer I live, the more a sin and fail, therefore should I not despise longevity?

You could try taking your focus off yourself. Maybe spend time volunteering or helping others who are less fortunate than you. Ask the Lord to show you neighbors who could use some help... maybe a widow or kids without a dad.

fulp

For those wonderful, sublime bits in between? personally, I live for the simple and silly things mostly, because the stupidity of human history would break my heart otherwise. It kinda did, so now I'm in it for the giggles.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The ex-Marxist in me is crying out that this is nothing more then an opiate

Maybe. But you know what? The way I see it, I have two choices given that I am responsible for my own beliefs:

1) Decide to see the world as a fundamentally awful place and be a miserable cynic all the time because of this belief.
2) Decide to see the world as a fundamentally beautiful place and be happy or content all the time because of this belief.

[sarcasm]Oh, such a difficult choice![/sarcasm]

Seriously. Why in the blazes would you choose a worldview that prompts you to be a miserable cynic? Masochism?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
For what purpose do we toil under the sun, keep informed of all the evils of this age and take chances that result in disappointment and sorrow, for what do we strive?

I was absolutely content never having to be born, it was glorious, I had eternal bliss, I had never eaten from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, I was in the freedom of non-existence, a stranger to sorrow and failure, never did I need to bother with my self-esteem or worry about failure.

Why then do I wake in the morning? The only time I find true refuge from the woes of the world and my existential burdens is in my slumber where I feel no guilt nor fear, nor any anxiety, for no matter the dream, I always wake up. But woe once I do wake, for then I must toil, and strive, I must be delicate with my friends and family as not to distance them from me or alert them to my sorrows, I must strive to make a future for myself that I may prolong the sufferings of this age till I die a natural death while I am old and more weary, but when I crawl back into bed I have nothing to reflect on but my sin of sloth, and all my short-comings, only to awake the next morning and repeat this day in and day out.

Do I look to heaven to find meaning? For if you asked me if I believed Christ rose from the dead, I would not deny it, but I see no meaning for life in that, nor do I find assurance or comfort. Is it like the Evangelicals say, Once saved Always saved? In which case I might as well be dead, is it as the Romans teach that if I do not repent of every mortal sin I may taste ever lasting torment? Must I then pray that I be murdered on my way out of confession, or that I had died a miscarriage, do these conclusions not trouble the minds of others?

I've been a practising Christian for 2 years and everyone has told me to look to the Bible for answer, yet it's the very Bible that acknowledges this issues, for even Job cried out to curse the day he was born. The wise king Solomon denounced all the pleasures of life, understanding that both the foolish and wise taste death's sting.

What then do I look to earth for my meaning? The very thing I resent, the very thing that causes me this sorrow, where then do I find meaning with in it? Will it not all just pass away.

What then is the reason to live a life, is it fear of death or does life have any value?
I get up because my body won't allow sleeping more than 11 hours and I would be in more pain if I didn't.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
i get up in the morning to pray the Fajr Salah (morning prayer). the reward for the 2 unit Sunnah prayer (non-obligatory prayer done by the Prophet) is greater than the whole world and what is in it. the reward for the obligatory prayer is even greater. after that i read the Qur'an and the day turns out perfectly by the will of God.

Islam teaches that this world will lead a person who follows it into sorrow and disappointment. but if you turn away from it and turn your back on it, it comes after you. personally i have tried both, i like the latter. i enjoy life more when i turn my back to the world.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
You could try taking your focus off yourself. Maybe spend time volunteering or helping others who are less fortunate than you. Ask the Lord to show you neighbors who could use some help... maybe a widow or kids without a dad.

But shouldn't I logically encourage them to despise longevity, accept Christ now, and then find the quickest way to get out of living without suicide

InChrist

Free4ever
As long a you are looking to yourself and the circumstances around you for your happiness and peace you will continue to be miserable. This is what the writer of Ecclesiastes realized as he concluded with the message of turning to God.

Remember your Creator before the silver cord is loosed,
Or the golden bowl is broken,
Or the pitcher shattered at the fountain,
Or the wheel broken at the well.
Then the dust will return to the earth as it was,
And the spirit will return to God who gave it. Ecc. 12:6-7

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
Fear God and keep His commandments,
For this is man’s all.
For God will bring every work into judgment,
Including every secret thing,
Whether good or evil.Ecc. 12:13-14

"Purpose of Writing:
Ecclesiastes is a book of perspective. The narrative of “the Preacher” (KJV), or “the Teacher” (NIV) reveals the depression that inevitably results from seeking happiness in worldly things. This book gives Christians a chance to see the world through the eyes of a person who, though very wise, is trying to find meaning in temporary, human things. Most every form of worldly pleasure is explored by the Preacher, and none of it gives him a sense of meaning.

In the end, the Preacher comes to accept that faith in God is the only way to find personal meaning. He decides to accept the fact that life is brief and ultimately worthless without God. The Preacher advises the reader to focus on an eternal God instead of temporary pleasure."

excerpt from: Book of Ecclesiastes

Book of Ecclesiastes - Bible Survey

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
As long a you are looking to yourself and the circumstances around you for your happiness and peace you will continue to be miserable. This is what the writer of Ecclesiastes realized as he concluded with the message of turning to God.

Remember your Creator before the silver cord is loosed,
Or the golden bowl is broken,
Or the pitcher shattered at the fountain,
Or the wheel broken at the well.
Then the dust will return to the earth as it was,
And the spirit will return to God who gave it. Ecc. 12:6-7

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
Fear God and keep His commandments,
For this is man’s all.
For God will bring every work into judgment,
Including every secret thing,
Whether good or evil.Ecc. 12:13-14

"Purpose of Writing:
Ecclesiastes is a book of perspective. The narrative of “the Preacher” (KJV), or “the Teacher” (NIV) reveals the depression that inevitably results from seeking happiness in worldly things. This book gives Christians a chance to see the world through the eyes of a person who, though very wise, is trying to find meaning in temporary, human things. Most every form of worldly pleasure is explored by the Preacher, and none of it gives him a sense of meaning.

In the end, the Preacher comes to accept that faith in God is the only way to find personal meaning. He decides to accept the fact that life is brief and ultimately worthless without God. The Preacher advises the reader to focus on an eternal God instead of temporary pleasure."

excerpt from: Book of Ecclesiastes

Book of Ecclesiastes - Bible Survey
...as I said, a little forced.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
You can certainly have your opinion, but I trust it as God's word.

How does Faith in God work out to any kind of meaning?

I've never denied Christ and nor do I have any intent to, but really what does it mean?

From our conversation I've gathered you are an Evangelical, but doesn't it bother you how divided the body of Christ is? Even Evangelicals admit certain groups who say they are Christians don't follow Christ, which then is "good enough", am I good enough? What certainty or assurance do I have in Christ? Would it not have been better God simply to have never made me, that way I would experience eternal bliss with no risk(Ecc 4:3)

As Milton put in the mouth of Adam, in Paradise Lost
Heavie, though in thir place. O fleeting joyes
Of Paradise, deare bought with lasting woes!
Did I request thee, Maker, from my Clay
To mould me Man, did I sollicite thee
From darkness to promote me, or here place

If the only meaning of life is to worship and glorify Christ, then clearly it would be better if I was dead, then I would have all eternity to do so without the burdens of life

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
ForeverFaithful: Since you're a Christian, the following might be inspiring.

Yes Ecclesiastes 4:1-5 suggests that the dead are better off, but don't forget Ecclesiastes 9:4-6..."Anyone who is among the living has hope-even a live dog is better off than a dead lion! For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten. Their love, their hate, and their jealousy have long since vanished; never again will they have a part in anything that happens under the sun."

So hope is a good reason to keep getting up...hope for a better tomorrow. Hope that things can yet be changed.

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." - Romans 5:1-5

People in the Old Testament were constantly worrying about sinning and making mistakes and falling short of God's expectations. One of Jesus' central themes was that of redemption. Jesus was all about overcoming this fear of inadequacy and imperfection and gaining a love for God. The point of Christianity is that God's love for you is greater than your sins and faults and that through Jesus you are forgiven and can avoid worry.