• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why exactly do Jehovah's Witnesses evangelize?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I watched the first few minutes: it is responsible. Does it touch upon JWs later?

Its like a formal debate where the question/argument is presented. Both sides give their opening statements without the other interupting. Then another session for rebuttal. I have to watch it again to see who went first. They do get into a heated little debate but without personal knowledge of scripture, I learned more than I took sides.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So I am trying to judge the man as the Baptist one or the JW one or maybe neither and then he says, "....I am still willing to listen to your opinion...." so then I know he is not a JW. He still might be, because the fact is I am not always right. LOL Three hours? I do not know if I can do three hours of it.

It might be exciting if they would speak a little faster

Is it three hours! Sorry about that guys.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I spoke before knowing. That doctor talks very fast. I agree with him that true worship is monotheist but by making Jesus a lower god to be obeyed is not monotheist.
I do not believe the JW's statement, "the subject is obviously of critical importance".
If it was, God would not be vague about it. God's word would be very clear. It isn't.
Mr. Satfford says that Jesus is "a second god". That makes two gods.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So I am trying to judge the man as the Baptist one or the JW one or maybe neither and then he says, "....I am still willing to listen to your opinion...." so then I know he is not a JW. He still might be, because the fact is I am not always right. LOL Three hours? I do not know if I can do three hours of it.

It might be exciting if they would speak a little faster

Yeah. Think Dr. White is taking his time to wrap up his points.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can not take the JWs seriously by their believing the subject of the nature of Jesus Christ is of "critical importance". I think what he means is that thinking of God in the correct way is decisively important with respects to the outcome.
I think that if it really is crucial to know the correct nature of Jesus Christ then believing he is YHVH is the safer course.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think maybe 4771 σου can mean of you (as in the god of you) or it might mean just you (as in the god, you). Hebrews 1:9
I do agree with the JWs that Jesus can be a "copy" of God, The Father

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There was a medical procedure that was common years ago where they would scramble the frontal lobe of the brain. That is what it feels like Mr. Stafford is doing to me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There was a medical procedure that was common years ago where they would scramble the frontal lobe of the brain. That is what it feels like Mr. Stafford is doing to me.

I think its a play on words or terms. The word god (Lord, son, etc) are used many times in scripture to refer to different people or an adjective like lucifer--evil. God-love.

One is an collective adjective the other a noun?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
JW starts talking in 2:45 about. He makes his opening statement.
No. 28:28
"How can we avoid the sin of idolatry?" The worship of angels is idolatry. JWs make Jesus into an angel. So, they say, "don't worship him". I think that order is contrary to scripture. Isn't it?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think the doctor (the Baptist) wins starting at point 1:10:54

From that argument/time from White, that differs than what Greg talked about when he refers to the context of the word god being a. The Father b. god (as Zuez and every other god c, god as an idol and d. god as in the nature of ones divinity,

In 1:10:45 Dr. White seemed to misquote Greg. I think Greg meant that Jesus has the full nature of god (being he is god-by nature) but is separate just as you adn I are separate though our nature is we both are human beings.

Edit.

Also, Greg does say there are other gods. He also says that the bible specifically separates himself from the other gods as him being the Only God. One Creator. and so forth.

Sounds like terminology confliction. If JW used a more clarifying word than using god verses a god verses gods then it may not be much of a fuss?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From that argument/time from White, that differs than what Greg talked about when he refers to the context of the word god being a. The Father b. god (as Zuez and every other god c, god as an idol and d. god as in the nature of ones divinity,

In 1:10:45 Dr. White seemed to misquote Greg. I think Greg meant that Jesus has the full nature of god (being he is god-by nature) but is separate just as you adn I are separate though our nature is we both are human beings.

Edit.

Also, Greg does say there are other gods. He also says that the bible specifically separates himself from the other gods as him being the Only God. One Creator. and so forth.

Sounds like terminology confliction. If JW used a more clarifying word than using god verses a god verses gods then it may not be much of a fuss?
The doctor makes a very good point that the writers of the NT were Israelites and they were monotheistic. They would not have written about an angel lord. They knew that God is Lord.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@sav

2:05 the cross reference. Dr. White isnt answering diectly. It would be easier to understand his (and like peoples positions) if he answered the questions rather than look into meaning behind the question said.
What does 2:05 mean? Do you mean 2:05:00?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I understand her. It is scary and bizarre to see that everyone you know and trusted seems to be running on auto-pilot. Do they not see what I can see? That is scary!
Well, since you've never been in an LDS temple, you'll have to either take InChrist's word for it that it's "scary and bizarre" or mine that it's not. As far as I'm concerned, InChrist and deeje must be twins separated at birth. They are definitely two of a kind. Although I have tried, I am completely unable to have a conversation with either of them that ends up being even remotely beneficial to anyone. I guess it's just that I'm not into trashing other people's beliefs and they both seem to thrive on doing so. I would never speak of either of their religions' teachings with the same disgust and revulsion they do of mine.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
@Katzpur did you look at the video? What do you think of JW commentary of the woman?
I strongly believe that portraying someone like that is going against the things written. Obviously, not many (or any) agree with me about that. Do you have an opinion of it?
I haven't actually been following this thread very carefully and I didn't see a video in the OP, so I really don't know what video you're talking about. I hope it wasn't the 2 hour long one in Post #315. I don't know that I'm up to watching a 2 hour video about someone else's religion.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I haven't actually been following this thread very carefully and I didn't see a video in the OP, so I really don't know what video you're talking about. I hope it wasn't the 2 hour long one in Post #315. I don't know that I'm up to watching a 2 hour video about someone else's religion.
Post 297. The Jehovah's Witnesses believe their governing body is chosen by God to explain the Bible to believers in God. I posted their video to prove that they teach their own opinion of the meaning of God's words.