• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't pagan/folk/traditional religions proselytize?

VaDcare

I'm kinda confused as to why these religions didn't proselytize. Did they not care about the afterlife of other peoples?

Or is general morality more important to them?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm kinda confused as to why these religions didn't proselytize. Did they not care about the afterlife of other peoples?

Why do you say they do not proselytize? Nobody is allowed to proselytize in the forums, but elsewhere maybe they do.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've yet to meet a Pagan who proselytizes. Granted, my experience is hardly all-encompassing, but there's just not good reason to proselytize within these traditions. Ideas that ground traditions that proselytize - salvation and exclusivism - are absent in Paganisms. Or in pretty much all religions aside from certain branches of Abrahamic ones, really.

EDIT - dang it, @Saint Frankenstein :D

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Welcome to the forums.

Pagan/Folk/Traditional religions are not dead and gone (although some of them are), so you should probably refer to them in the present tense...

Religions, especially pagan, folk and traditional religions, are usually concerned about a number of issues in the lives of their followers, of which an afterlife may not be the most important, or even important at all. Some of these religions may have in the past or do so in the present seek new members, but in most of them, the members don't get brownie points for converting people to believe...

Morality is only a part of many religions, and is often not the the most important part. In many religions, the Gods do not hand down moral rules, anyway.

But often, the p/f/t religions are so ingrained with the rest of the culture in which they are practiced, it is rare to see anyone all that interested in converting to, adopting or leaving that religion...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I'm a Hindu and I strongly stand against proselytizing for many reasons. Firstly, what gives anyone the right, or even the thinking, that they have something that someone else needs? Nobody has the right to tell other people what to do in life, or how to think. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

To me proselytizing comes across as condescending, immature, egotistical, unfriendly, preachy, against harmony. and so much more.

Human decency, for me, means leaving people alone. I assume other people can think for themselves. They're adults, they have brains, they have religions, they have faith in something.

However ... all that partially goes out the window if someone legitimately approaches me and says something like ... 'your religion seems interesting, could you tell me something about it?' In that case it's the human thing to answer questions the best you know how, but still prefacing it politely with, 'well, I think,' etc.

Besides that, because I've seen the damage religious evangelism can cause to stable societies, I see it does more harm than good.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Because mostly we realize due to the backfire effect no one believes you anyway, and the only true conversions in the past have come at the business end of something pointy or a bullet.

In addition, most pagans are either solitary by choice or work within extremely tight groups and when those groups are full no one will be admitted outside of direct family. It generally will take you over a year of training to even be admitted to the lowest rank. (Usually called 1st degree) You will usually have to unanimously be accepted, or you just won't. Thus, no incentive to solicit new members when there are basically coveners (who are able to conduct all rites) and muggles. The fact that a coven will have a year invested in you by this time means they stand to lose a lot if you fail. If you seem to just be kicking the tires, or are uncertain about anything they probably won't bother with you. They're seeking truly interested people because this interest is that secret sauce for success. This isn't a dogma religion where you are going to be told what to think, and be asked to trust others - you will be shown how to discover the truths yourself, and you will come up with your own ideas.

Pagans also don't typically believe their path is the only acceptable path, and see God and Goddess in many religions. In regard to afterlife, generally we believe there isn't much point in trying to convince someone who can neither see beyond the veil or feel it, they'll soon find out anyway. :D What good would worrying about other peoples afterlives do when you only have enough time on earth to tend to your own?

Jedster

I am presently living in a place that is predominantly pagan, as well as many other religions/groups. I have to say that pagans are the easiest to be with and the easiest to celebrate life with.
Absolutely no undertones of proselyting.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Many great responses here. I'll only add that those that follow pagan based traditions show a much greater tolerance and respect for the beliefs of others. Most realize that each is walks a path based on what one needs in one's life spiritually, and that theirs isn't the One True Religion™.

David T

Premium Member

This is like asking why don't certain groups advertise. Maybe they find advertising world to be plastic B¿™$©®|t?

But if that itself becomes the cultural norm, then the BS becomes its new reality. It has happened In music....it happens in religion.