• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't JW's accept invitations?

SeekerOfGod

Ahmadi Muslim
I've had a lot of Jehovah Whiteness coming to my door. They often invite our family as Muslims to their kingdom hall. It has been my experience as well as experience of others that when as Muslims we invite JW's, they always respond in the negative. Why is this so?
How can JW's extend a hand of friendship when they refuse to visit Mosques?

rusra02

Premium Member
I've had a lot of Jehovah Whiteness coming to my door. They often invite our family as Muslims to their kingdom hall. It has been my experience as well as experience of others that when as Muslims we invite JW's, they always respond in the negative. Why is this so?

Jw's show love, kindness, and friendship to people of all religions. That is why they visit their neighbors with good news from the Bible about God's kingdom. At the same time, Jw's do not practice interfaith or share in worship with other religions. Their reason for avoiding places where other religions are practiced is obedience to the Bible's direction against mixing true worship with false. (2 Corinthians 6:14-18) Jws believe there is but one true God, Jehovah, and one true religion. They believe it is God's "will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth." (1 Timothy 2:4) I believe it would be contrary to God's expressed will to visit temples, churches, or mosques to share in worship of other gods. We do visit people in their homes and elsewhere, to help them learn about the one true faith. (Ephesians 4:4-6)

SeekerOfGod

Ahmadi Muslim
Jw's show love, kindness, and friendship to people of all religions. That is why they visit their neighbors with good news from the Bible about God's kingdom. At the same time, Jw's do not practice interfaith or share in worship with other religions. Their reason for avoiding places where other religions are practiced is obedience to the Bible's direction against mixing true worship with false. (2 Corinthians 6:14-18) Jws believe there is but one true God, Jehovah, and one true religion. They believe it is God's "will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth." (1 Timothy 2:4) I believe it would be contrary to God's expressed will to visit temples, churches, or mosques to share in worship of other gods. We do visit people in their homes and elsewhere, to help them learn about the one true faith. (Ephesians 4:4-6)

Thank you for the response. However, I should mention that invitations are not requests for worship. Interfaith, for example is for the purpose of sharing beliefs, to increase understanding about each others faiths. I struggle to see how that is a problem?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Thank you for the response. However, I should mention that invitations are not requests for worship. Interfaith, for example is for the purpose of sharing beliefs, to increase understanding about each others faiths. I struggle to see how that is a problem?

we can increase others understanding by sitting together in a personal setting and discussing those things... i dont think we need to attend a mosque to do that.

And just the same, you dont need to attend a kingdom hall to learn what we believe either ;)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

As Jehovahs Witnesses, we worship Jehovah through the teachings of Christ Jesus and the hebrew prophets. Those teachings are found only in the bible. And because we take our worship very seriously, we dont attend other church services who do not base their teachings on the bible.

Seeing Muslims base their teachings and beliefs on the Quran, it would be an act of disloyalty to both Jesus, and our God Jehovah to attend such services.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Why do you call your places of worship "Kingdom halls" rather than Churches?

We called our places of worship 'kingdom halls' primarily because we focus our work on preaching the good news of the kingdom and our places of worship are places for public teaching about Gods Kingdom, and organizing our ministry activities.

So the name Kingdom Hall really describes the 'purpose' of these buildings.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So which are the Churches you would attend.?

we wouldnt attend 'any' church services...including christian services.

Although that doesnt mean we wouldnt attend as an observer a funeral or a wedding ceremony held at another church . That would be an individual choice.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
How do Jw's understand the relationship to be between Jesus and God?

The bible says that the relationship between Jesus and God is one of a father and son relationship.
Hence, they are not the same person... rather, Jesus is a created being which is what the scriptures state:
John 1:14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father..."

And for this reason we do not believe in the trinity.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The bible says that the relationship between Jesus and God is one of a father and son relationship.
Hence, they are not the same person... rather, Jesus is a created being which is what the scriptures state:
John 1:14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father..."

And for this reason we do not believe in the trinity.

Which is not far off my rather Unitarian view.
however that brings up the Relationship of God to the Holy Spirit?
Do you see the holy spirit as one with God?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Which is not far off my rather Unitarian view.
however that brings up the Relationship of God to the Holy Spirit?
Do you see the holy spirit as one with God?

actually we dont see the holy spirit as a person

The scriptures indicate that it is Gods own power...he sends out his holy spirit to accomplish his will and he used it to create the physical world. He also uses holy spirit to teach and to motivate his worshipers.

ie,
Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·de′a and Sa·mar′i·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

Job 33: 4 God’s own spirit made me,
And the Almighty’s own breath brought me to life

Ps 104:30  If you send out your spirit, they are created,
And you renew the surface of the ground

Here is a quote from a recent watchtower:
What, then, is the true nature of holy spirit? A footnote at Genesis 1:2 in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures—With References states: “Besides being translated ‘spirit,’ ru′ach [Hebrew] is also translated ‘wind’ and by other words that denote an invisible active force.” (Compare footnotes at Genesis 3:8; 8:1.)
Just as wind is invisible but exerts force, so the immaterial, impersonal holy spirit is unseen but produces effects. This spirit is energy from God projected and exerted on people or things to accomplish his will. Is it hard to believe that such a marvelous force emanates from the holy Source, Almighty God? Not at all!—Read Isaiah 40:12,*13.

So the holy spirit is the most powerful force in the universe... it is something which comes from God, hence it is 'holy' because God is holy.

Last edited:

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
So which are the Churches you would attend.?

Just a little side note there Terrywoodenpic....."church" is actually the congregated people, rather than the building they congregate in.

So denominational separation should never have taken place in Christianity. All of the Christians that met together in the first century were taught by the apostles in congregations spread out in the various cities. They relied on being united in their beliefs, (1 Cor 1:10) not departing from the teachings of the Christ, yet Jesus himself foretold that such division would take place. "Weeds" of false Christianity were to be sown by the devil, according to Jesus, in the same "field" as the true Christians were 'planted'. This did not take place recently, but was "already at work" in the days of the apostles. (Matt 13:36-43; 2 Thess 2:6-8)

Only in "the time of the harvest" would a clear separation between the two take place. We believe that we are living in that time period right now. We also believe that being tangled up in the weeds of Christendom is causing mass confusion and indecision on the part of many truth seekers.

People need the truth today, as never before. We are on the brink of a major change on the world scene. Many people are acutely aware of this, but still do not know where to turn. We hope they will accept our message because this separation that is taking place now, will affect the lives of every person living when the "day of Jehovah" comes like a thief. (Matt 24:43, 44) We believe it could come any day now. The world is falling apart, financially, politically, morally and socially. Man has no solutions. God has the only solution....his kingdom in the capable hands of his trusted son.

This is not the time for "interfaith" but a time for separation.....for decisive action on our part. (Rev 18:3, 4) :sad:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Just a little side note there Terrywoodenpic....."church" is actually the congregated people, rather than the building they congregate in.

So denominational separation should never have taken place in Christianity. All of the Christians that met together in the first century were taught by the apostles in congregations spread out in the various cities. They relied on being united in their beliefs, (1 Cor 1:10) not departing from the teachings of the Christ, yet Jesus himself foretold that such division would take place. "Weeds" of false Christianity were to be sown by the devil, according to Jesus, in the same "field" as the true Christians were 'planted'. This did not take place recently, but was "already at work" in the days of the apostles. (Matt 13:36-43; 2 Thess 2:6-8)

Only in "the time of the harvest" would a clear separation between the two take place. We believe that we are living in that time period right now. We also believe that being tangled up in the weeds of Christendom is causing mass confusion and indecision on the part of many truth seekers.

People need the truth today, as never before. We are on the brink of a major change on the world scene. Many people are acutely aware of this, but still do not know where to turn. We hope they will accept our message because this separation that is taking place now, will affect the lives of every person living when the "day of Jehovah" comes like a thief. (Matt 24:43, 44) We believe it could come any day now. The world is falling apart, financially, politically, morally and socially. Man has no solutions. God has the only solution....his kingdom in the capable hands of his trusted son.

This is not the time for "interfaith" but a time for separation.....for decisive action on our part. (Rev 18:3, 4) :sad:

The word church is used in many contexts.
I was careful not to define one in my question.

Church...Congregation.
Church... congregation in a particular place
Church... Congregation with a particular Dogma/ belief
Church... Congregation with a particular style of worship
Church... denomination
Church ... building
Church... with a specific God ( Christian /non Christian)
Church... specific to a particular time.

Some see the "Church" as exclusive to their own style of Christianity, and none other.
Some see the "Greater Church" as encompassing all Christendom.
The JW's, It seems from your answer, are Exclusive Christians.

Where as I see Jesus teaching and salvation to be inclusive.
No church or person is, or can, be with out sin or error.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
actually we dont see the holy spirit as a person

The scriptures indicate that it is Gods own power...he sends out his holy spirit to accomplish his will and he used it to create the physical world. He also uses holy spirit to teach and to motivate his worshipers.

ie,
Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·de′a and Sa·mar′i·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

Job 33: 4 God’s own spirit made me,
And the Almighty’s own breath brought me to life

Ps 104:30  If you send out your spirit, they are created,
And you renew the surface of the ground

Here is a quote from a recent watchtower:

So the holy spirit is the most powerful force in the universe... it is something which comes from God, hence it is 'holy' because God is holy.

I am not sure those quote are especially helpful. But I would agree that the Bible does not seem to infer that the Holy spirit is in any way separate from God. No does it seem to suggest that it is capable of independent action.
However it seems to have some specific qualities.

Guidance/teaching
Comfort
Healing
Strengthen/support ..... are functions that come to mind.
They are all Gods' functions of communication and personal action.

... Like God the Holy spirit is everywhere all the time... it is clearly not necessary to send the holy spirit, call the holy spirit or command the Holy Spirit, as it is clearly not separate from God's will at any time.

I think the writers of the Bible struggled to understand/convey this duality of activity, and confused/interpreted it as a duality of being.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I am not sure those quote are especially helpful. But I would agree that the Bible does not seem to infer that the Holy spirit is in any way separate from God. No does it seem to suggest that it is capable of independent action.
However it seems to have some specific qualities.

Guidance/teaching
Comfort
Healing
Strengthen/support ..... are functions that come to mind.
They are all Gods' functions of communication and personal action.

... Like God the Holy spirit is everywhere all the time... it is clearly not necessary to send the holy spirit, call the holy spirit or command the Holy Spirit, as it is clearly not separate from God's will at any time.

I think the writers of the Bible struggled to understand/convey this duality of activity, and confused/interpreted it as a duality of being.

Do you believe that God has power?

If you do, then its not hard to understand the relationship between God and the holy spirit because Gods power IS the holy spirit.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Do you believe that God has power?

If you do, then its not hard to understand the relationship between God and the holy spirit because Gods power IS the holy spirit.

I agree that the Holy spirit is the active power of God.

However all beings have power of one sort and another. Why do we, in the case of God, Give that power a separate name as if it was another entity?

monti

If Jesus were to invite a JW to go with him to a Mosque to pray. Would he Go?

Jesus was Jew, period. I don't believe he had any intention of starting a new religion called christianity, so the likely hood of him attending any other church or temple or mosque, seem to me, highly unlikely.