• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Jews and Muslims eat pork ?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Back when the OT was written, people did not knowhow to properly prepare foods. Rather than learn, the Jews just banned some foods, like pork and shellfish.
Chicken and beef have as much risk as pork, and chicken needs to be cooked to a higher temperature than pork does.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I really want to emphasize that there exists a lot of far reaching, multi-disciplinary, scholarship on the pig taboo, scholarship authored by some extremely learned folk, and, best I can tell, there is insufficient data to allow for anything approaching a consensus. Leaving aside the scriptural answer, if you think you know how this taboo came about and/or why, you are almost certainly deceiving yourself.

On this question the words of H. L. Mencken rule:

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

ronki23

The secular law says not to drive past a red light but folks do.

Your point?

Plenty of Muslims born in Western countries are involved in crime, drink alcohol and do drugs even though the Qu'ran says not to but they'll refrain from Pork. Turkish, Lebanese, House of Saud and Saddam drink alcohol too. Hypocrisy.

As far as Jews go: I hear most Israeli Jews are secular and the Haredi are complaining that they're being forced into conscription. Naturei Karta is a foreign group of Jews against Israel. I also hear there's friction between Ashkenazi and Mizrahi Jews ? Perhaps some clarity here??????

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Plenty of Muslims born in Western countries are involved in crime, drink alcohol and do drugs even though the Qu'ran says not to but they'll refrain from Pork. House of Saud and Saddam too. Hypocrisy.

As far as Jews go: I hear most Israeli Jews are secular and the Haredi are complaining that they're being forced into conscription. Naturei Karta is a foreign group of Jews against Israel. I also hear there's friction between Ashkenazi and Mizrahi Jews ? Perhaps some clarity here??????
What has any of this to do with scriptural dietary laws?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Plenty of Muslims born in Western countries are involved in crime, drink alcohol and do drugs even though the Qu'ran says not to but they'll refrain from Pork. Turkish, Lebanese, House of Saud and Saddam drink alcohol too. Hypocrisy.

Perhaps you should move this to the rambling antisemitic rant forum.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Trichinosis, for one (just try to order a plate of ham tartar anywhere). Evidently the Hebrews were good at roaming but not cooking their meat thoroughly..

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You say "because the book said so" but you get plenty of Jews eating lobster, crab,shrimp and prawn and there are LOADS of Muslims who drink alcohol
From an Orthodox Jewish perspective, Jews who do this are transgression Jewish law. Other denominations of Judaism may be more lenient for whatever reason.
As for Muslims, I don't know. Presumably there's either a leniency or you're conflating Muslims with non-Muslims (maybe Arab Christians?)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
My question is why don't they both get together and eat pork? Then they could understand where each other's God is coming from. Maybe skip the pork and just confer with each other about God.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just hope that they do not take out their guns and bombs.
They are natural disease carriers, and since they are so similar to humans, ..
You have the answer. They are brothers. Brothers do not eat brothers. All animals including humans carry diseases for other animals.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The same question goes for why the cow became sacred and not eaten.

History of animal and human life/flesh attack in radiation fall out conditions had been witnessed before. And it is in those types of conditions that health of life against natural vermin invasion diminishes, and our ability to combat the vermin species in bio organic flesh.

UFOMUTILATIONS (CATTLE-MUTILATIONS) THE UNSOLVED SANTA FE, NM MYSTERY

I believe that as food in many centuries became scarce, humans as a choice went back to eating meat products, and then imposed ways of dealing with microscopic blood conditions in flesh foods. Changes to natural radiation levels.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Regarding transgressions of religious prohibitions I suppose it simply comes down to human infallibility in the face of such rules. I understand that Sikhism prohibits alcohol consumption.

Prohibitions in Sikhism - Wikipedia

I've been to two Sikh weddings (fabulous events) and I was just about the only male guest who, by the end of the evening, wasn't completely off their ***s on the booze.