• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Islam and Christianity believe in Reincarnation or rebirth

ecco

Veteran Member
Christians and Muslims would rather spend eternity lounging in a heaven than come back and have to live in this crappy earth over and over.

**mod edit**

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hinduism believe in rebirth concept but Islam or Christianity don't believe. **mod edit**

Hi, welcome to RF, sit down, relax and enjoy the cake

welcome-cake.jpg

**mod edit**

Last edited by a moderator:

Daemon Sophic

Hinduism believe in rebirth concept but Islam or Christianity don't believe. **mod edit**
Hi @veeresh and welcome to the RF. :)

They don’t believe in reincarnation because they were not taught of it as an option, or even as an idea of what might happen after death. :shrug:
An equally appropriate question would be, “Why do Hindus believe in reincarnation?”

In neither case is the any evidence of after-death occurances, at all.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Honestly, the reason is because reincarnation is taught in the respective theologies you cited. E.g. In Islam there is no concept of reincarnation or punarbhava taught in the scripture.

Simply put, that's the reason they dont believe in it.

Hellbound Serpiente

I am personally torn between whether there is reincarnation and/or just heaven and hell [in case there is another life after our death in this life]. This topic is just as mysterious to me as the topic of whether the time and/or universe is finite or infinite. Much like in the case of time and universe, I am slightly more inclined towards the probability of them being finite in nature as compared to the probability of them being infinite in nature, I am slightly more inclined towards the probability that life in this world is finite in nature as compared to infinite [due to reincarnating over and over again].

Why I am willing to put on bet on the likelihood of life's continuation in heaven/hell rather than it's continuation in this world via reincarnation? Because it's impossible to live a bad karma free life in this world. Inner and outer forces acting upon us will always cause us to, intentionally and unintentionally, do bad and achieve bad karma. This world is designed to break us with the hardships and sufferings that comes with it by default, and flawed human nature [and brain among other factors] makes us extremely prone to commit wrongdoings, whether deliberately or by mistakes. I can't remember who said this, but I remember reading here somewhere someone saying that every living being, intentionally or unintentionally, is involved in killing. And I agree. And on top of that, we are also always making mistakes and/or doing something unjust and harmful to not just each other, but also ourselves and our environment. These factors makes it impossible to cleanse us from bad karma completely, and one way or another we will continuously trapped in the cycle of reincarnation in this world.

However, this is not true when it comes to heaven and hell. In heaven, we will be free from the inner and outer forces that impels us to do evil. Frail human nature, flawed brain and other imperfections will no longer be present in heaven since we would be in our purer form --- Souls. Nor will heaven be a place where we are bound to suffer and face hardships, it will be a place devoid of all the negative aspects of our world. So, it becomes impossible to do something that'll bring about bad karma in heaven, and all we can do is good.

Hell, most likely, is the opposite of heaven. Not only will there be far severe inner and outer pressures, but we will be devoid of any spiritual aspects and will be purely ego-personified there. All the positive aspects of human nature [like selflessness, generosity, mercy etc.] are not going to be present in ourselves in hell [since ego is devoid of such spiritual goodness], but we would only exist as lowly, base form [ego] with it's negative aspects [greed, lust, hatred etc] personified. So, there's no way we CANNOT avoid achieving karma in hell. Bad karma will continuously getting piled up and we will keep paying for them for eternity by dying and rebirthing over and over again in hell.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Early Christians didn't like the idea of their spirits coming from or going into the body of animals. They did not want to give up the eating of animal flesh under the belief that a human soul might inhabit the body of an animal. Also, they assumed if their soul had, had some previous life/existence surely people would have some memory of this.

veeresh

I am personally torn between whether there is reincarnation and/or just heaven and hell [in case there is another life after our death in this life]. This topic is just as mysterious to me as the topic of whether the time and/or universe is finite or infinite. Much like in the case of time and universe, I am slightly more inclined towards the probability of them being finite in nature as compared to the probability of them being infinite in nature, I am slightly more inclined towards the probability that life in this world is finite in nature as compared to infinite [due to reincarnating over and over again].

Why I am willing to put on bet on the likelihood of life's continuation in heaven/hell rather than it's continuation in this world via reincarnation? Because it's impossible to live a bad karma free life in this world. Inner and outer forces acting upon us will always cause us to, intentionally and unintentionally, do bad and achieve bad karma. This world is designed to break us with the hardships and sufferings that comes with it by default, and flawed human nature [and brain among other factors] makes us extremely prone to commit wrongdoings, whether deliberately or by mistakes. I can't remember who said this, but I remember reading here somewhere someone saying that every living being, intentionally or unintentionally, is involved in killing. And I agree. And on top of that, we are also always making mistakes and/or doing something unjust and harmful to not just each other, but also ourselves and our environment. These factors makes it impossible to cleanse us from bad karma completely, and one way or another we will continuously trapped in the cycle of reincarnation in this world.

However, this is not true when it comes to heaven and hell. In heaven, we will be free from the inner and outer forces that impels us to do evil. Frail human nature, flawed brain and other imperfections will no longer be present in heaven since we would be in our purer form --- Souls. Nor will heaven be a place where we are bound to suffer and face hardships, it will be a place devoid of all the negative aspects of our world. So, it becomes impossible to do something that'll bring about bad karma in heaven, and all we can do is good.

Hell, most likely, is the opposite of heaven. Not only will there be far severe inner and outer pressures, but we will be devoid of any spiritual aspects and will be purely ego-personified there. All the positive aspects of human nature [like selflessness, generosity, mercy etc.] are not going to be present in ourselves in hell [since ego is devoid of such spiritual goodness], but we would only exist as lowly, base form [ego] with it's negative aspects [greed, lust, hatred etc] personified. So, there's no way we CANNOT avoid achieving karma in hell. Bad karma will continuously getting piled up and we will keep paying for them for eternity by dying and rebirthing over and over again in hell.
We can liberat from birth and death cycle. in India there are many people liberated. Budhha also said same thing

veeresh

They don’t believe in reincarnation because they were not taught of it as an option, or even as an idea of what might happen after death. :shrug:
An equally appropriate question would be, “Why do Hindus believe in reincarnation?”

Yes, evidence is Hindu scriptures, in Hinduism history book lot of rebirth stories are there. budhha also teached on same thing

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Folks believe what they believe because that's what makes the most sense to them. It's a combination of experience, upbringing, and reading, and it varies be person. There is no right or wrong in belief, in my view. There is no real value in trying to sway another person from their beliefs. If they are to be swayed, it will be on their own volition.

PearlSeeker

To answer the thread question - why I didn't believe. In Catholic Church I was persuaded to believe this:

"The full and definitive stage of God’s revelation is accomplished in his Word made flesh, Jesus Christ, the mediator and fullness of Revelation. He, being the only-begotten Son of God made man, is the perfect and definitive Word of the Father. In the sending of the Son and the gift of the Spirit, Revelation is now fully complete, although the faith of the Church must gradually grasp its full significance over the course of centuries." (Cathecism)

And this:
This final stage of God's relevation (what Christ revealed) was transmitted by apostolic tradition (in oral and written form). Holy Spirit inspired the authors of Sacred Scripture to write down what God wanted to teach us. Everything there is supposed to be without error and it contains everything needed for our salvation. Religions that contain something different are automatically in error.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

An equally appropriate question would be, “Why do Hindus believe in reincarnation?

Why do Hindus believe in reincarnation?

It is a good question. Our new friend @veeresh is welcome to answer it. We are all ears to him, please?
Right friend, please?

Regards

veeresh

It is a good question. Our new friend @veeresh is welcome to answer it. We are all ears to him, please?
Right friend, please?

Regards

@paarsurrey main goal of Hinduism is get liberation from birth and death cycle. so our scriptures also mentioned about rebirth. Buddhism also believe in rebirth concept.

veeresh

Right friend, please?

Regards

main goal of Hinduism is get liberation from birth and death cycle. so our scriptures also mentioned about rebirth. Buddhism also believe in rebirth concept.

veeresh

Right friend, please?

Regards

main goal of Hinduism is get liberation from birth and death cycle. so our scriptures also mentioned about rebirth. Buddhism also believe in rebirth concept.

veeresh