• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don't Humans Have Human Milk After A Certain Age?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why take it from a cow or goat or sheep instead? Why not continue with human female milk? No-one has to suffer, no other babies need be born (as with cows and other creatures, who stop lactating after about a year) and it's meant for humans.

?
I think there is a good argument for veganism. I'm not sure where you are going with the human milk thing if past the weening age??

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there is a good argument for veganism. I'm not sure where you are going with the human milk thing if past the weening age??
I'm making a point that for some reason we see human milk as eww but drink cow milk or other animal milk, which is bad for us, but we're fine with it for no good reason.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Why take it from a cow or goat or sheep instead? Why not continue with human female milk? No-one has to suffer, no other babies need be born (as with cows and other creatures, who stop lactating after about a year) and it's meant for humans.

?

That would require a re-engineering of my neck. Or Pamela Anderson characteristics.

Ciao

- viole

Kirran

Premium Member
Seems like a question that leaves out the nature of a human. First I care for myself. Then I care for other people who care for me, and if I am an absolute saint I might care for someone who doesn't know me or who is insane. I dare you to do better. In the extreme I would consider caring for a sick person or child but not if I could avoid it. Believing that I care about cows seems ridiculous when there are so many humans that I do not help. I do not kick animals, and I feel warm towards them. Is that not enough? Must I stop drinking milk and eating beef?

I think you should do so, certainly. Abstaining from causing harm as much as possible is a good first step. Honestly, if that's really how you are I like to think I do do better.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's a good question. We don't need milk after a certain time, anyway. Only some populations can tolerate lactase, anyway.

Nous

Premium Member
Given the life of beef vs dairy cattle, beef cattle seem to have it better
Yeah, that's what I would say. For years I justified consuming dairy products on the basis that "at least an animal didn't have to be killed"--which is false!!. There are two of them suffering and then being killed--the dairy cow and the one taken off to the veal crate.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember when I was a kid, I was always told "drink your milk, drink your milk." All those commercials for milk - "every body needs milk." Then later on, they started saying that too much milk is bad for you, but it was still healthy in moderation.

I visited my uncle's dairy farm a few times back in the 70s, and it didn't seem like it was too bad. Of course, I don't imagine life as a farm animal is much fun anyway, no matter what the situation might be.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you should do so, certainly. Abstaining from causing harm as much as possible is a good first step. Honestly, if that's really how you are I like to think I do do better.
I think most harm comes through inaction rather than through action, but I grasp your point.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I stopped drinking milk about five years ago. I now have Oatley on cereals and nothing in tea & coffee.

Having been brought up on a farm I saw how cruel it could be. Probably why I have been vegetarian for as long as I can remember. The Silence of the Lambs and all that.

At least we don’t bleed the cattle to mix with the milk as they do in some countries.

cataway

people eating tasty animals PETA
You heard wrong. They are tortured and miserable animals. It upsets me a lot which is why I can't really contain myself in these threads.

I have soy or coconut milk, sometimes almond but I'm not struck on almond so much.
the Amish must drive you nuts