• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Christians live what they preach?

Pah

Uber all member
The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience
Why don't Christians live what they preach?
By Ronald J. Sider

Complete article from Christianity Today

Once upon a time there was a great religion that over the centuries had spread all over the world. But in those lands where it had existed for the longest time, its adherents slowly grew complacent, lukewarm, and skeptical. Indeed, many of the leaders of its oldest groups even publicly rejected some of the religion's most basic beliefs.

In response, a renewal movement emerged, passionately championing the historic claims of the old religion and eagerly inviting unbelievers everywhere to embrace the ancient faith. Rejecting the skepticism of leaders who no longer believed in a God who works miracles, members of the renewal movement vigorously argued that their God not only had performed miraculous deeds in the past but still miraculously transforms all who believe. Indeed, a radical, miraculous "new birth" that began a lifetime of sweeping moral renewal and transformation was at the center of their preaching. Over time, the renewal movement flourished to the point of becoming one of the most influential wings of the whole religion.
Then the pollsters started conducting scientific polls of the general population. In spite of the renewal movement's proud claims to miraculous transformation, the polls showed that members of the movement divorced their spouses just as often as their secular neighbors. They beat their wives as often as their neighbors. They were almost as materialistic and even more racist than their pagan friends. The hard-core skeptics smiled in cynical amusement at this blatant hypocrisy. The general population was puzzled and disgusted. Many of the renewal movement's leaders simply stepped up the tempo of their now enormously successful, highly sophisticated promotional programs. Others wept.
Scandalous behavior is rapidly destroying American Christianity. By their daily activity, most "Christians" regularly commit treason. With their mouths they claim that Jesus is Lord, but with their actions they demonstrate allegiance to money, sex, and self-fulfillment

The findings in numerous national polls conducted by highly respected pollsters like The Gallup Organization and The Barna Group are simply shocking. "Gallup and Barna," laments evangelical theologian Michael Horton, "hand us survey after survey demonstrating that evangelical Christians are as likely to embrace lifestyles every bit as hedonistic, materialistic, self-centered, and sexually immoral as the world in general."1 Divorce is more common among "born-again" Christians than in the general American population. Only 6 percent of evangelicals tithe. White evangelicals are the most likely people to object to neighbors of another race. Josh McDowell has pointed out that the sexual promiscuity of evangelical youth is only a little less outrageous than that of their nonevangelical peers.
It is not surprising that George Barna concludes, "Every day, the church is becoming more like the world it allegedly seeks to change."4 We have very little time, he believes, to reverse these trends. African Christian and famous missions scholar Professor Lamin Sanneh told Christianity Today recently that "the cultural captivity of Christianity in the West is nearly complete, and with the religion tamed, it is open season on the West's Christian heritage. I worry about a West without a moral center facing a politically resurgent Islam."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
George Barna concludes, "Every day, the church is becoming more like the world it allegedly seeks to change."
I think part of the problem is the evangelical involvment in politics. Political activism is a distraction from spirituality.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
power corrupts.... add to that the fact that Christianity at its heart (ie the basic teachings of Christ) are difficult at best to follow in todays world. Charity, peace, self sacrifice and forgiveness can be tough in a militant, dogmatic and consumerist world. IMHO

Add to that, that human nature makes covering your own insecurities easier when you attack others. ;)

wa:do

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's interesting that religious beliefs seem to make so little difference in people's behavior. Subjectively, we think our beliefs matter a great deal to our behavior. But objectively, they don't seem to have that much influence on it. Why is that?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It seems that for many religion is a sundays only* event.
(* or whatever the 'holy' day is)
Go to church, say some nice words, get a little snack, sing some songs and go home secure in the knowledge that your soul is ok for another week. ;)

I'm sure that for many human nature and modern life just gets in the way.

wa:do

Pah

Uber all member
Perhaps it is just an extention of God's Old Testement phillosphy - "Do as I say not as I do". But in this case, the faithful don't have the option of saying their morality can not be understood by mortals.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Matthew 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. 21 "Not everyone who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Their biggest fault??? They have left the real fundamentals of Jesus' teachings. They have turned the gospel of grace into one of intolerance. They need to get back to the REAL fundamentals:

Matthew 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 12:7 If you had known what these words mean, `I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There was a time when the word Christian had a colloquial meaning of a decent person known for their high moral standards. That meaning has largely been lost. I think the fault for that lies with people like James Dobson, Jerry Falwell, and Pat Robertson. They have effectively redefined what it means to be Christian.

rivet

Sunstone said:
It's interesting that religious beliefs seem to make so little difference in people's behavior. Subjectively, we think our beliefs matter a great deal to our behavior. But objectively, they don't seem to have that much influence on it. Why is that?
It depends on the individual. For some, it's a Sunday only event as said above. For others, it's a day-to-day transformation.

its sad that some who profess to be christian, or even "born again" christian do not follow through on the more peacefull teachings of their religion.
there are even those who talk as if religion is hereditary. i.e. "My mom is xian, and my dad's jewish, so I'm half and half." isnt that wierd? religion isnt genetic, is it?

robtex

Veteran Member
Actually from living down here I have an interesting footnote. I would say only about 1/2 of the Christians I ask (I use to ask them all the time when they pulled the Chrisitan morality card on me but have mellowed out sense), had ever read the Bible. Many had no read an entire chapter in the book at all. A number of them could not name old testiment chapters and when they talk about their church services Bible studies were a seperate class from the sunday worship that was smaller in many cases. On here the Christians are very educated in their religion but from my vantage point it doesn't seem to be the norm down here in the lone star state.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I think people expect Christians to be perfect and that is unfair. Our religion expects us to be heading towards the goal of perfection, but we know we aren't there yet. We won't get there until the afterlife. We are still only human. It is still better to have goals you are trying to live up to, even if you occasionally fail, than to just not try at all. Some people just don't try at all, and yet claim to be Christians, and that is hypocrisy, they are the worst kind of sinners because they give us a tainted name.

And no, no Christian has an excuse for not reading the Bible unless they physically can not do it. I admit I am still working on that, as some of the old testament is difficult to get through for the endless geneologies and census counts, but I have read the new testament several times and most of the old testament. I don't know why people don't read the Bible, but I think it's because they just don't like to read.

Still, not reading the Bible doesn't necessarily make you a hypocrite, you can learn most of the Christian religion without reading it, just by word of mouth - assuming you get it from reliable sources.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Personally whenever I have doubts about the Christian faith, I just look at the alternative. There are very very few people I know who are nice, honest, decent atheists. Christian charity groups are out there saving millions of lives everyday.

robtex

Veteran Member
johnnys4life said:
And no, no Christian has an excuse for not reading the Bible unless they physically can not do it. I admit I am still working on that, as some of the old testament is difficult to get through for the endless geneologies and census counts, but I have read the new testament several times and most of the old testament. I don't know why people don't read the Bible, but I think it's because they just don't like to read.
You are studying it which is even better if you are a Christian. I mean when I say they haven't read it, that they didn't even open the book up and read it page by page. Not really going to find people like that on a debate forum but ask your friends neigbors ect....I bet you are going to find a lot of them have not ever read the Bible either but state they are a Christian. Could be a enlighting experiement. Gotta be smooth in the way you ask though.....

You can't really say, "So have you EVEN read the Bible?" and expect to get an answer......better to talk about lesser known chapters like the book of Ruth or Jude. Or bring up a concept like Paul on the road to Damacus in the book of Acts. If their reaction is puzzlement or asking for more info I use to ask ..how much of the Bible they had read (open ended question) and found that about 1/2 (or maybe even more) hadn't read it all the way through and many were very upfront about not reading it or not having an interest in reading it.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
robtex said:
You are studying it which is even better if you are a Christian. I mean when I say they haven't read it, that they didn't even open the book up and read it page by page. Not really going to find people like that on a debate forum but ask your friends neigbors ect....I bet you are going to find a lot of them have not ever read the Bible either but state they are a Christian. Could be a enlighting experiement. Gotta be smooth in the way you ask though.....

You can't really say, "So have you EVEN read the Bible?" and expect to get an answer......better to talk about lesser known chapters like the book of Ruth or Jude. Or bring up a concept like Paul on the road to Damacus in the book of Acts. If their reaction is puzzlement or asking for more info I use to ask ..how much of the Bible they had read (open ended question) and found that about 1/2 (or maybe even more) hadn't read it all the way through and many were very upfront about not reading it or not having an interest in reading it.
That is very true. I found that, even in my Bible study group there were people who hadn't sat down and read the Bible anywhere EXCEPT at Bible study. That is really scary to be a Christian so that you would follow anyone who preaches from a pulpit about Christ, but not be literate enough to know that if that person tells you the Bible says God wants you to be rich at all costs, they are lying. That's where it can get dangerous, a little learning is a dangerous thing.

Then again I know people who don't have the love of Christ in their hearts, and sit down all day studying the Bible and it doesn't do them one bit of good because they hate thier brothers. They just twist the Bible to mean what they want it to, like using the laws as a means of judging other people instead of what it's supposed to be - a mirror - to tell you when YOU are going wrong.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does reading the bible actually improve someone? My experience has been that decent people are decent with or without religion, and cruel people are cruel with or without religion, etc. The older I get, the less difference it seems that religion makes in determining a person's character. That is, religion seems to be a rather ineffective means of shaping and changing character.

robtex

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Does reading the bible actually improve someone? My experience has been that decent people are decent with or without religion, and cruel people are cruel with or without religion, etc. The older I get, the less difference it seems that religion makes in determining a person's character. That is, religion seems to be a rather ineffective means of shaping and changing character.

Sunstone pick your favorite philospher and write it down in your head. If you can't pick one than pick a few. Than think of the vaious books you have read by them that have helped you define your philosphies.

Christians, most if not all, pick Jesus Christ and God at the top of the list with the teaching of Christ being the most paramount.

Now think how silly it would be for you to pick whatever philospher you choose and than not to have read what they have written. That is what it is like for a Christian to wave the Christianty flag and than have not read the word of God.

But I concur with you point that morality and religion two seperate things...intragratable but not inherently intragrated.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I see what you're saying, Robtex. Now that you put it that way, it would be completely absurd for me to have a favorite philosopher whom I had not read and studied. In fact, it would call into question my sanity in announcing that so and so was my favorite philosopher (although I had not read so and so).

robtex

Veteran Member
johnnys4life said:
They just twist the Bible to mean what they want it to, like using the laws as a means of judging other people instead of what it's supposed to be - a mirror - to tell you when YOU are going wrong.
Excuse my ignorance. What is the mirror theory and how does it relate to Christianty?