• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't atheists change faiths very often?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So you know if all those prayers were answered, and if whether every promise of salvation was carried out. Great, I have God here to tell me all things. But wait a minute that makes you a disbeliever in yourself, me a believer in you. The only that that makes 100% false is your original premise.

I had an original premise? I thought it was just a fondness for beer and a dislike of folks claiming to have knowledge of God.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do Atheists have complete trust in Scientists to explain the mysteries of the World and beyond?
From my perspective, the wiser thing is to admit when there are mysteries and unknowns than fill them with gods.
If we were never able to figure out how electromagnetism worked, lightning still wouldn't have been the product of the gods.

QuestioningMind

Do Atheists have complete trust in Scientists to explain the mysteries of the World and beyond?

That would depend on the atheist in question. All atheists have in common is a lack of belief in god(s). Personally it's been my experience that the scientific method is the best method human beings have yet found for accurately explaining the physical world. I do not have COMPLETE trust in scientists, but as I said, I find that the scientific method is by far the best means humans have found to accurately explain the physical world.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
That would depend on the atheist in question. All atheists have in common is a lack of belief in god(s). Personally it's been my experience that the scientific method is the best method human beings have yet found for accurately explaining the physical world. I do not have COMPLETE trust in scientists, but as I said, I find that the scientific method is by far the best means humans have found to accurately explain the physical world.
So in answer to your question to syncretic, "Since atheism isn't a faith to begin with, what the heck are you talking about?" you as an Atheist have 'faith' in men or do you define 'faith' as being the preserve of the Religious community?

QuestioningMind

So in answer to your question to syncretic, "Since atheism isn't a faith to begin with, what the heck are you talking about?" you as an Atheist have 'faith' in men or do you define 'faith' as being the preserve of the Religious community?

I define faith as belief without evidence, so as an atheist I do not believe in any men for whom there is no evidence. Belief without evidence is not strictly a religious phenomenon. There are plenty of people who believe in ghosts and a wide range of other supernatural occurrences without evidence. There are plenty of conspiracy theory nuts out there that believe in a wide range of fantastical theories for which they have no evidence.

Last edited:

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
I define faith as belief without evidence, so as an atheist I do not believe in any men for whom there is no evidence. Belief without evidence is not strictly a religious phenomenon. There are plenty of people who believe in ghosts and a wide range of other supernatural occurrences without without evidence. There are plenty of conspiracy theory nuts out there that believe in a wide range of fantastical theories for which they have no evidence.

I've never ever met anyone who believed in something without there being some evidence.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
There are millions of people who believe that their religious holy book(s) are the infallible word of God without any evidence whatsoever.
Which books claim to be the word of God, that actually say, this is from God. Put aside what people claim, let the book speak for itself.

QuestioningMind

Which books claim to be the word of God, that actually say, this is from God. Put aside what people claim, let the book speak for itself.

I've read the bible (Roman Catholic version and King James), the Hindu Vedas, and the Koran, allowing the 'books to speak for themselves' and in every case they told me that they were all books written by fallible human beings in an attempt to control gullible human beings.

QuestioningMind

Clear isn't a color.

You're using some obscure definition of faith, probably.
Your belief is a faith like any other, even if it is towards the non-existant 'god'.
A-theos

I am? The definition that I'm using is the same one found in Webster's dictionary

b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

What obscure definition of faith are YOU using?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Considering Christianity requires zero effort and zero works, allows you to eat and drink what you want, do what you want, only requires you accept Jesus pbuh and be granted eternal life, I'm surprised it's not the only religion in the whole World.
The many Muslim countries where there's a death sentence for converting to Christianity probably dulls its popularity a bit.