• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't atheists accept they are so evangelical and apologetic?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have seen arguments like "this verse in my opinion says this" with no regard to what it means. I mean "dogmatic refusal". I have also seen arguments like "God SHOULD HAVE kept languages without changing" so that we don't have to study an ancient language. ;)

Recently there was an argument about a particular verse where the atheist picked up this argument from a "missionary website" but had no clue about it. Very dogmatic faith in a missionary website. What was more strange is that every single one of these episodes were found with other atheists defending this atheist so tribalistically (If there is such a word). Defend my brethren religiously with no regard to who or what is right. This is blind faith and tribalism.

Generally atheists accuse the "religious" of these same traits, but my opinion is that Atheists display these traits immensely but they so religiously deny it, together. The United Nations publication "State of the World’s Indigenous Peoples" has a definition for religion that has all of these traits as the definition. Its a strange thing. One would find the refusal of this also to be "Highly Dogmatic".

Let me state something from the Islamic point of view. The word used in the Qur'an for "religion" is the arabic word "Dheen". But, in all honesty, these two words are very different in meaning. Of course even this explanation can expect a dogmatic retort from someone who says "no. In my opinion they mean the same" :). Nope. Try to analyse it rather than making a dogmatic faith statement. After all, atheists are supposed to be analytical and scientific as most would claim.

The etymology of the word “religion” is very different from that of dheen, and are in fact, different concepts. Some maintain, as did Cicero, that it comes from relegere, meaning, “to treat carefully.” Others follow the fourth-century Christian apologist Lactantius, who maintains that it derives from religare, “to bind.” As Lactantius writes, “We are tied to God and bound to Him (religati) by the bond of piety, and it is from this, and not, as Cicero holds, from careful consideration (relegendo), that religion has received its name. In Arabic, the word dheen means "way or system" in its essence. There have been usages where statements are made like "submission is a system based on reason". In that sentence, submission and system should be replaced by the words Islam and Dheen. The reason to adopt the famous word religion is because people are "bound" together. Does one not see that Atheists display the same symptoms? Maybe they display traits to the word religion more than a so called "religious" person would because its "dheen" for them, not religion. But I have noticed that most atheists do not with to analyse the meaning of the word Religion because they do not want to be associated with it, so they will resort to evangelical methods of denial of simple language. Also may argue that "etymologies dont matter". Actually, whatever argument that they could muster up to deny this. Thats dogmatism. The Romans used this same word as a binding to the state. Not religion. The famous Roman scholar who lived in the 1st century BC called "Cicero" accordingly used a rendition like "to select". So this is what you selected if his rendition is the "one".

One of the signs of religiosity we may observe today is this dogmatic worship of "science". Some atheists seem to claim science for themselves and deny the walking ability of science and religion together. What this seems to bring up is that dogmatic denial of a persons exegesis of his religion to be aligned with science by "hook or crook". This is a dogmatic faith that blinds reason. I address those who deny by default, and never even try and understand someones explanation but just deny no matter what. By Hook or Crook. :) Also they take their information predominantly from apologetic websites. Evangelical websites.

The general missionary response of atheists to "Religere" is that "religion is worshiping a divinity, and we don't" or something similar. But general refusal to analyse the meaning of it, and that they fit the bill in itself shows their religiosity and binding to the faith that "we are not religious". I think this is the definition of being "religious".

Another phenomenon of this level of dogmatic religiosity is the blind denial of facts when trying to blame religion for all the violence in the world forever. I have noticed that scholars who are also atheists dont do this because obviously they are more aware and I honestly have found them to extremely pragmatic and not so dogmatic. Yet, I am speaking about scholars, not evangelists and apologists that atheists seem to follow more.

Of course I expect some ad hominem and character assassination attempts even in this thread which is almost a norm. But in this matter, most atheists in this forum are pretty nice people. Yet at least one or two posts could be seen trying to attack the character of the person rather than analyse the point made in the OP. Thats ad hominem, and shows the character of the person doing it, not the other way around. One of my favourite sayings in the New Testament comes to mind: "Why do you look at the thimble in my eye when you have a plank in yours".

Anyway, this post was made as a general one and I can plead you not to get offended but try and make an analysis of what was said and provide your insight. I will truly appreciate it.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have seen arguments like "this verse in my opinion says this" with no regard to what it means. I mean "dogmatic refusal". I have also seen arguments like "God SHOULD HAVE kept languages without changing" so that we don't have to study an ancient language. ;)

Recently there was an argument about a particular verse where the atheist picked up this argument from a "missionary website" but had no clue about it. Very dogmatic faith in a missionary website. What was more strange is that every single one of these episodes were found with other atheists defending this atheist so tribalistically (If there is such a word). Defend my brethren religiously with no regard to who or what is right. This is blind faith and tribalism.

Generally atheists accuse the "religious" of these same traits, but my opinion is that Atheists display these traits immensely but they so religiously deny it, together. The United Nations publication "State of the World’s Indigenous Peoples" has a definition for religion that has all of these traits as the definition. Its a strange thing. One would find the refusal of this also to be "Highly Dogmatic".

Let me state something from the Islamic point of view. The word used in the Qur'an for "religion" is the arabic word "Dheen". But, in all honesty, these two words are very different in meaning. Of course even this explanation can expect a dogmatic retort from someone who says "no. In my opinion they mean the same" :). Nope. Try to analyse it rather than making a dogmatic faith statement. After all, atheists are supposed to be analytical and scientific as most would claim.

The etymology of the word “religion” is very different from that of dheen, and are in fact, different concepts. Some maintain, as did Cicero, that it comes from relegere, meaning, “to treat carefully.” Others follow the fourth-century Christian apologist Lactantius, who maintains that it derives from religare, “to bind.” As Lactantius writes, “We are tied to God and bound to Him (religati) by the bond of piety, and it is from this, and not, as Cicero holds, from careful consideration (relegendo), that religion has received its name. In Arabic, the word dheen means "way or system" in its essence. There have been usages where statements are made like "submission is a system based on reason". In that sentence, submission and system should be replaced by the words Islam and Dheen. The reason to adopt the famous word religion is because people are "bound" together. Does one not see that Atheists display the same symptoms? Maybe they display traits to the word religion more than a so called "religious" person would because its "dheen" for them, not religion. But I have noticed that most atheists do not with to analyse the meaning of the word Religion because they do not want to be associated with it, so they will resort to evangelical methods of denial of simple language. Also may argue that "etymologies dont matter". Actually, whatever argument that they could muster up to deny this. Thats dogmatism. The Romans used this same word as a binding to the state. Not religion. The famous Roman scholar who lived in the 1st century BC called "Cicero" accordingly used a rendition like "to select". So this is what you selected if his rendition is the "one".

One of the signs of religiosity we may observe today is this dogmatic worship of "science". Some atheists seem to claim science for themselves and deny the walking ability of science and religion together. What this seems to bring up is that dogmatic denial of a persons exegesis of his religion to be aligned with science by "hook or crook". This is a dogmatic faith that blinds reason. I address those who deny by default, and never even try and understand someones explanation but just deny no matter what. By Hook or Crook. :) Also they take their information predominantly from apologetic websites. Evangelical websites.

The general missionary response of atheists to "Religere" is that "religion is worshiping a divinity, and we don't" or something similar. But general refusal to analyse the meaning of it, and that they fit the bill in itself shows their religiosity and binding to the faith that "we are not religious". I think this is the definition of being "religious".

Another phenomenon of this level of dogmatic religiosity is the blind denial of facts when trying to blame religion for all the violence in the world forever. I have noticed that scholars who are also atheists dont do this because obviously they are more aware and I honestly have found them to extremely pragmatic and not so dogmatic. Yet, I am speaking about scholars, not evangelists and apologists that atheists seem to follow more.

Of course I expect some ad hominem and character assassination attempts even in this thread which is almost a norm. But in this matter, most atheists in this forum are pretty nice people. Yet at least one or two posts could be seen trying to attack the character of the person rather than analyse the point made in the OP. Thats ad hominem, and shows the character of the person doing it, not the other way around. One of my favourite sayings in the New Testament comes to mind: "Why do you look at the thimble in my eye when you have a plank in yours".

Anyway, this post was made as a general one and I can plead you not to get offended but try and make an analysis of what was said and provide your insight. I will truly appreciate it.
Religion has had a free run at evangelising since the middle ages, if not before.
In these more enlightened ages atheists have begun to speak out, usually on chat shows and in debates but also in books and blogs. We want our voice heard.
We do not get privileged benefits; like tax free; prayer mornings with the President; Bishops in the House of Lords; religious schools funded by MY money, etc etc.

We are not dogmatic about science BUT it does give us answers and solutions. What does your religious script say about the COVID vaccine? Did the local mosque find a cure?
Science made it possible for me and you to debate.

Religious texts do not change, they were written many years ago; science changes daily as mor knowledge is gained.

PureX

Veteran Member
Try to keep in mind that this is only a few anti-religious atheists online. The vast majority of atheists in the world are neither evangelical nor dogmatic. Just as the vast majority of theists are neither evangelical nor religious fundamentalists.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Religion has had a free run at evangelising since the middle ages, if not before.
In these more enlightened ages atheists have begun to speak out, usually on chat shows and in debates but also in books and blogs. We want our voice heard.
We do not get privileged benefits; like tax free; prayer mornings with the President; Bishops in the House of Lords; religious schools funded by MY money, etc etc.

We are not dogmatic about science BUT it does give us answers and solutions. What does your religious script say about the COVID vaccine? Did the local mosque find a cure?
Science made it possible for me and you to debate.

Religious texts do not change, they were written many years ago; science changes daily as mor knowledge is gained.

You didnt address the post at all. Thats a big sign of missionary type of activity.

Anyway, what you have just done is prove the OP. You claimed in other words that Atheists have started to evangelise and make missionary type of apologetics, but worded it differently.

Also, about science you missed the bus completely. Oh yes. Without science we will not be communicating. And there was a religious guy who developed algorithms that made that possible. Now someone might turn around and say "it was not because of religion" which would show that person missed the whole point.

You just made it clear that you seem to think science is exclusive to atheists. Also you made it clear that "we" as in your group, are a religious group.

Isn't it?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Try to keep in mind that this is only a few anti-religious atheists online. The vast majority of atheists in the world are neither evangelic nor dogmatic. Just as the vast majority of theists are neither evangelical nor religious fundamentalists.

I agree with that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You didnt address the post at all. Thats a big sign of missionary type of activity.

Anyway, what you have just done is prove the OP. You claimed in other words that Atheists have started to evangelise and make missionary type of apologetics, but worded it differently.

Also, about science you missed the bus completely. Oh yes. Without science we will not be communicating. And there was a religious guy who developed algorithms that made that possible. Now someone might turn around and say "it was not because of religion" which would show that person missed the whole point.

You just made it clear that you seem to think science is exclusive to atheists. Also you made it clear that "we" as in your group, are a religious group.

Isn't it?

Please identify this religious guy that made communication possible because as far as i was aware the world wide web was invented by scientist Tim Burners Lee while working at CERN and wanted to make communication between thousands of scientists easier

firedragon

Veteran Member
Please identify this religious guy that made communication possible because as far as i was aware the world wide web was invented by scientist Tim Burners Lee while working at CERN and wanted to make communication between thousands of scientists easier

"Made communication possible"? Who said that?

See, Strawman is a logical fallacy.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Is this thread really about how upset you are that some atheists have lowered themselves to the bar set by the most outspoken theists?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Really? Having, and expecting to have, a voice equal to that of all the religions that have tended to dominate over the centuries is somehow evangelising? I do not think so. I would see such as freedom of expression - which many countries seem to not have grasped - including many Islam dominated ones. :oops:

Altfish

Veteran Member

Isn't it?
If you say so - I thought I'd addressed the issue

It is you who is getting wound up about it though. You started a thread expressing your concerns.
I'm happy for religions to broadcast their message but they MUST expect push back.
Actually, the meaning of Evangelise is something like "Convert or seek to convert to Christianity"

What apologetics have been made by atheists?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Really? Having, and expecting to have, a voice equal to that of all the religions that have tended to dominate over the centuries is somehow evangelising? I do not think so. I would see such as freedom of expression - which many countries seem to not have grasped - including many Islam dominated ones. :oops:

You missed the point. Actually, many have. Address the OP. :)

firedragon

Veteran Member
If you say so - I thought I'd addressed the issue

It is you who is getting wound up about it though. You started a thread expressing your concerns.
I'm happy for religions to broadcast their message but they MUST expect push back.
Actually, the meaning of Evangelise is something like "Convert or seek to convert to Christianity"

What apologetics have been made by atheists?

You have missed the point, like some others in this thread. Strange.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
... Without science we will not be communicating. And there was a religious guy who developed algorithms that made that possible. ...

Please identify this religious guy that made communication possible ...

"Made communication possible"? Who said that?
YOU did in the above quoted post.

See, Strawman is a logical fallacy.
It is not a strawman when you did in fact flat out claim that a religious person developed algorithms that made communication possible.

So how about you name this religious person you claim developed algorithms that made communication possible?

firedragon

Veteran Member
History says that, not your straw man. And i see no name for who you believe made such worldwide communication possible. I wonder why?

I never said that.

So maybe you should respond to what was said, not what you want to respond to. Thats a strawman. Read what I said.

I said "there was a religious man who created algorithms". Not what you are saying. You have created a strawman to attack.

Strange.