• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't Islam prevent refugees?

Shaul

Premium Member
In a report on refugees out today it noted that "At the end of last year, more than half of all refugees were from three countries: Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia." All three of these countries have Muslim majorities. The question I would pose is not why Islam would cause the refugees in these countries. Instead, I would ask why did Islam's influence not prevent these population unheavals. In other words, if Islam comes from Allah, why wouldn't He do something to prevent this suffering?

In a report on refugees out today it noted that "At the end of last year, more than half of all refugees were from three countries: Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia." All three of these countries have Muslim majorities. The question I would pose is not why Islam would cause the refugees in these countries. Instead, I would ask why did Islam's influence not prevent these population unheavals. In other words, if Islam comes from Allah, why wouldn't He do something to prevent this suffering?

Wow, specific religion fails to prevent all evils. Who'd have thunk it.

Perhaps you can recommend a god with a stronger track record of preventing wars. Who would you suggest?

Shaul

Premium Member
Wow, specific religion fails to prevent all evils. Who'd have thunk it.

Perhaps you can recommend a god with a stronger track record of preventing wars. Who would you suggest?
Well since half of all refugees last year occurred in Muslim countries, I guess the answer to your question would be any God of a religion other than Islam would a better track record.

Sabour

This very thread is open for that.

Thought the opposite for where it has been posted.

Suffering is the part of life and the Islamic teaching about suffering is that it happens for four major reasons.

1- Test for the believers.

29:2 [29:2] Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe," without being put to the test?

[29:3] We have tested those before them, for God must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

also:

[2:155] We will surely test you through some fear, hunger, and loss of money, lives, and crops. Give good news to the steadfast.

To pass the test, the believer must maintain his trust that God only can relieve his hardship. The believer will maintain his prayer and call onto God:

[27:62] Who is the One who rescues those who become desperate and call upon Him, relieves adversity, and makes you inheritors of the earth? Is it another god with God? Rarely do you take heed.

2- Hardship and adversity is also decreed by God as a purifying of our souls

3- Suffering through hardship and adversity is also a reminder for people who tend to take things for granted and forget all of God’s blessings.

[14:34] If you count God's blessings, you can never encompass them. Indeed, the human being is transgressing, unappreciative.
[41:51] When we bless the human being, he turns away, and drifts farther and farther away, and when he suffers any affliction, he implores loudly.

[10:23] But as soon as He saves them, they transgress on earth, and oppose the truth. O people, your transgression is only to the detriment of your own souls. You remain preoccupied with this worldly life, then to us is your ultimate return, then we inform you of everything you had done.

4- Better ranking in heaven because of patience

2:45 Nay, seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-

2:155 And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient,

3:200 O you who believe! Endure and be more patient (than your enemy), and guard your territory by stationing army units permanently at the places from where the enemy can attack you, and fear Allah, so that you may be successful.

The prophets are people who suffered the most, being expelled by their people for their message. However, they have the highest ranks in heaven.

Patience is one of the keys to heaven in Islam

2:45 And seek help through patience and prayer, and indeed, it is difficult except for the humbly submissive [to Allah ]
2:153 O you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with the patient.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Because humans aren't perfect. Even if you give something perfect to an imperfect person, they will still falter. Of course, this doesn't answer why God didn't create humans perfect to begin with so as to prevent suffering, but that's a different question.

I'm answering from an Islamic viewpoint (the one I believed in, at least), by the way. This is just my take on the response to your argument. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well since half of all refugees last year occurred in Muslim countries, I guess the answer to your question would be any God of a religion other than Islam would a better track record.
I'm not sure that this is true.
I consider nearly all the undocumented immigrants to the USA refugees. That is many millions.
Most of the documented ones as well. The USA is an immigrant magnet.
That's a good thing. Immigrants are why we are such a kick butt country.
Tom

Shaul

Premium Member
I'm not sure that this is true.
I consider nearly all the undocumented immigrants to the USA refugees. That is many millions.
Most of the documented ones as well. The USA is an immigrant magnet.
That's a good thing. Immigrants are why we are such a kick butt country.
Tom
The statistic source is a UN report issued today. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-06-20-02-01-03
Thought the opposite for where it has been posted.

Suffering is the part of life and the Islamic teaching about suffering is that it happens for four major reasons.

1- Test for the believers.

29:2 [29:2] Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe," without being put to the test?

[29:3] We have tested those before them, for God must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

also:

[2:155] We will surely test you through some fear, hunger, and loss of money, lives, and crops. Give good news to the steadfast.

To pass the test, the believer must maintain his trust that God only can relieve his hardship. The believer will maintain his prayer and call onto God:

[27:62] Who is the One who rescues those who become desperate and call upon Him, relieves adversity, and makes you inheritors of the earth? Is it another god with God? Rarely do you take heed.

2- Hardship and adversity is also decreed by God as a purifying of our souls

3- Suffering through hardship and adversity is also a reminder for people who tend to take things for granted and forget all of God’s blessings.

[14:34] If you count God's blessings, you can never encompass them. Indeed, the human being is transgressing, unappreciative.
[41:51] When we bless the human being, he turns away, and drifts farther and farther away, and when he suffers any affliction, he implores loudly.

[10:23] But as soon as He saves them, they transgress on earth, and oppose the truth. O people, your transgression is only to the detriment of your own souls. You remain preoccupied with this worldly life, then to us is your ultimate return, then we inform you of everything you had done.

4- Better ranking in heaven because of patience

2:45 Nay, seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-

2:155 And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient,

3:200 O you who believe! Endure and be more patient (than your enemy), and guard your territory by stationing army units permanently at the places from where the enemy can attack you, and fear Allah, so that you may be successful.

The prophets are people who suffered the most, being expelled by their people for their message. However, they have the highest ranks in heaven.

Patience is one of the keys to heaven in Islam

2:45 And seek help through patience and prayer, and indeed, it is difficult except for the humbly submissive [to Allah ]
2:153 O you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with the patient.
One aspect I am curious about is how so many refugees could exist in light of Islam's attitude on charity. As is well known, giving alms and helping the poor is a pillar of Islam ("zakkat"). Does Allah allow so many refugees in order to test how Muslims will demonstrate charity? If so, what judgement should the world make on how well Muslims achieve this aspiration of their religion?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Muslim refugees accepted into Christian societies is a great way to bring in
radicals that want to harm non Islamic people.

Shaul

Premium Member
Better still, it is a great way to show Christian charity, even across religious differences, for the far greater majority of the refugees that don't want to harm anyone.

jeager106

Premium Member
Better still, it is a great way to show Christian charity, even across religious differences, for the far greater majority of the refugees that don't want to harm anyone.

You are Jewish yes?
Why are you commenting about Christian charity?
Curious that's all.

Shaul

Premium Member
You are Jewish yes?
Why are you commenting about Christian charity?
Curious that's all.
Yes, I am Jewish. I referenced Christian charity because you mentioned Christian societies and charity is one of Christianity's valued principles. Isn't charity important to Christian societies?

jeager106

Premium Member
Yes, I am Jewish. I referenced Christian charity because you mentioned Christian societies and charity is one of Christianity's valued principles. Isn't charity important to Christian societies?

Yes. I do donate heavily.
To the N.R.A.;)

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
IMHO, in many Muslim majority countries, peace situation is not good. In recent history some fell one after the other.
Reasons:
1=Political ambitions of clergies.
2=Corruption at all levels and inability of clergies and leaders to correct it.
3=Mis-conception of Jihad........ https://www.alislam.org/jihad/
4=Once they were leaders in learning, now no more.
5=Foreign interventions for natural resources.
6=God had foretold such situations would arise, and also foretold the Promised Solution
[ https://www.alislam.org/topics/messiah/index.php ] to end all above latter days weakness and to get glory again. They denied and persecuted the reformers by various excuses.

Islam is from Allah, no doubt. But one need to do true practice and listen to Him too.

uncung

Actually the refugees are caused by your invasion on Islamic lands.
why wouldn't Allah do something? Allah grants arab nations with prosperity, and they are able to help Muslims around the world. How a pity they prefer defending their own dynasty.

uncung

Of course they have to accept the refuges as their responsibility since Christians invade Islam lands constantly.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Using that argument, all the major religions are complete failures.

Does your God not have a pretty good track record of producing refugees? Right back to the time of Moses in fact.

You actually celebrate this, don't you?

Unfortunately, that was far from the the last time Jewish people had to seek refuge either, as you should well know.

Most people have sympathy, rather than engage is shallow point scoring exercises...