• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God destroy Satan?

stars

God wants us to have greater glory for him for our own salvation. More of the article from John Piper.goes like this:

“The Glory of God and Christ shines more brightly when we are seen to be supremely satisfied in Christ in spite of Satan's torments, rather than if we had his torments removed and liked Jesus because of it”.
“It's when you love Jesus in spite of Satan's torments and through them that his glory shines most brightly, rather than when we have life made easier for us by Satan's removal and we like Jesus because of it.”

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say it's more a part of the Jewish Oral tradition then anything written down. The 1/3 of Angels rebelling against God is a Christian thing in there Scripture. It has nothing to do with Judaism and is just another thing early Christians did to twist Jewish Scripture to fit there Propaganda.

I'm not even sure the whole "third of the angels" thing is claimed anywhere in Christian scripture. I've gone looking for it a cpl times. No luck. It is in one of the apocryphal texts though.

ragordon168

The best way not to be led into temptation is to take the temptation away. But there is more glory that will come to Jesus by his suffering to destroy Satan, by our sharing in the sufferings of Jesus.
God has ordained that Satan have a long leash—with God holding onto it—because he knows that when we walk in and out of those temptations, struggling both with the physical and moral effects that they bring, more of God's glory will shine in that battle than if he took Satan out yesterday. – John Piper “Desiring God”.org

Jesus wants us to have faith by our own accord, not because it was forced on us.

So, God allows children to be raped and murdered, so that the possibility of his glory can be greater. Do you see something wrong with this?

Why does God need more glory? He's supposedly the greatest being in the entire universe. What more glory can he achieve? And how, exactly, can we, in our comparative smallness, add to that glory? I hate to be flippant, but it sounds like this sort of God has self-esteem issues.

if that is how god gets glory hes really perverse. and if hes supposed to be a perfect being then why does he have an massive ego? isnt pride one of the 7 deadly sins?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I'm not even sure the whole "third of the angels" thing is claimed anywhere in Christian scripture. I've gone looking for it a cpl times. No luck. It is in one of the apocryphal texts though.
Not literally, but some interpret "stars" as angels and the dragon as Satan in Revelation 12:4:
And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth
Further evidence that "Revelation" is the most ironically titled Book in the Canon...

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
God wants us to have greater glory for him for our own salvation.

Stop right there. God is the one who made the rules about how we get saved. So, why would he choose to tie "greater glory" to salvation?

stars said:
More of the article from John Piper.goes like this:
stars said:
“The Glory of God and Christ shines more brightly when we are seen to be supremely satisfied in Christ in spite of Satan's torments, rather than if we had his torments removed and liked Jesus because of it”.
“It's when you love Jesus in spite of Satan's torments and through them that his glory shines most brightly, rather than when we have life made easier for us by Satan's removal and we like Jesus because of it.”

This all just affirms that God wants more glory, regardless of whether it makes children suffer.