• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God cure amputees?

magalexa

People expect too much of god, believing in him doesnt matter as much as what we do. We have freewill on earth, yes god has his freewill and so does what he wants. If god did cure amputees life would become less valuable, such as "oh its OK cause i can get another leg if i destroy this one." If he did fix those things we would expect him to do lots of other stuff for us.
We have our lives and he has his, beliefs dont matter to god as much as what we do, so he only goes out of way to prove himself to us every now and then and when he does we usually kill his workers. Buddha stoned to death by the Hindu hierarchy, Jesus tortured and executed, Joan of arc burnt at the stake, Mohammad poisoned to death, millions of spiritual women, children and men burnt alive by the European hierarchy, invasions in the name of god by govts.
Why should god cure ourselves? We as a species did nothing but harm his workers and believers, his people and his animals, his planet and his children.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
If god did cure amputees life would become less valuable, such as "oh its OK cause i can get another leg if i destroy this one."
No. This is not only very likely false, but also ludicrously offensive. Imagine if every amputee in the world was cured overnight. Not only have you increased the quality of life for tens of millions, (since losing a limb is rightly considered a disability) hundreds of millions of dollars of support for those people are no longer needed, and so can be used for far better causes.

Why should god cure ourselves? We as a species did nothing but harm his workers and believers, his people and his animals, his planet and his children.
Because God claims to be loving.

An organism has to be the right species and have the right disease in order to be miraculously cured. You see, God is a lot like a doctor and a vet. Some things about cats, he can fix, but some things he can't, but he can fix those things in humans, but not always. He can do miracles, but not all of the miracles. Only some of them.

You see, god is not ALL POWERFUL, but semi-powerful. He can only do miracles on things that could have been done naturally anyway. This way, you can't actually tell if it is a miracle (god's work), or just nature. So, this lets all-powerful god....sorry...semi-powerful god to stay hidden, invisible, mysteriouis and without evidence. So we are forced to have faith to know he exists.

If he healed amputees, then that would be evidence of miracles (real miracles), and that goes against God's wish to be hidden. He is very shy you see.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, if there is a God then this entity obviously didn't think that human amputees should be healed or we would have been designed to be able to regenerate lost limbs. Just because God is of a supernatural/metaphysical nature doesn't mean that God won't have to manipulate the physical elements that cause something to happen. For example amputees. God couldn't just magically make a new arm appear. It would be impossible. However if God wanted it to happen, then he would have had to have designed us with the appropriate genetic code that would allow for it.

Jeremiah

People expect too much of god, believing in him doesnt matter as much as what we do. We have freewill on earth, yes god has his freewill and so does what he wants. If god did cure amputees life would become less valuable, such as "oh its OK cause i can get another leg if i destroy this one." If he did fix those things we would expect him to do lots of other stuff for us.
We have our lives and he has his, beliefs dont matter to god as much as what we do, so he only goes out of way to prove himself to us every now and then and when he does we usually kill his workers. Buddha stoned to death by the Hindu hierarchy, Jesus tortured and executed, Joan of arc burnt at the stake, Mohammad poisoned to death, millions of spiritual women, children and men burnt alive by the European hierarchy, invasions in the name of god by govts.

"We have our lives and he has his, beliefs dont matter to god as much as what we do, so he only goes out of way to prove himself to us every now and then and when he does we usually kill his workers. Buddha stoned to death by the Hindu hierarchy, Jesus tortured and executed, Joan of arc burnt at the stake, Mohammad poisoned to death, millions of spiritual women, children and men burnt alive by the European hierarchy, invasions in the name of god by govts.
Why should god cure ourselves? We as a species did nothing but harm his workers and believers, his people and his animals, his planet and his children."

Maybe God came down and set the record straight, people would stop fighting over which religion is correct.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's all fine and good, but this rationale applies equally to things like curing cancer and making the blind see (i.e. the sorts of healing that god(s) are traditionally given credit for). I take it you don't believe that God does these things either, right?

The question of why God doesn't heal amputees only becomes an issue when we try to reconcile it with the idea of God going around healing other ailments.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
because ppl like this:
[youtube]MslbhDZoniY[/youtube]
YouTube - Get Back Up, Nick Vujicic

are inspirational.
Funny you mention that, because one of the most inspirational presentations I've ever seen was Dean Kamen's TED Talk on his experience trying to give amputees new arms:

TED Blog | The emotion behind invention: Dean Kamen on TED.com

The god who says that it's better for amputees to go limbless is a god who implicitly says that this work of Kamen's is worthless. And the god who can't figure out how to inspire people without amputations is a god who's less creative than I am.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
However if God wanted it to happen, then he would have had to have designed us with the appropriate genetic code that would allow for it.
Or just induce stem cell regeneration, which is far easier. How do I know it's easier? Because we've done it. (albeit not on entire limbs, but on smaller parts) Apparently, God has some catching up to do.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Or just induce stem cell regeneration, which is far easier. How do I know it's easier? Because we've done it. (albeit not on entire limbs, but on smaller parts) Apparently, God has some catching up to do.
Prophecy: right around the time that human beings develop the ability to re-grow limbs from stem cells, God will change his mind about amputees: he'll start liking them enough to help them (only he'll help them them through the doctors who do limb regeneration) and will no longer find their on-stage performances inspiring enough to make them live their lives without legs.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Prophecy: right around the time that human beings develop the ability to re-grow limbs from stem cells, God will change his mind about amputees: he'll start liking them enough to help them (only he'll help them them through the doctors who do limb regeneration) and will no longer find their on-stage performances inspiring enough to make them live their lives without legs.

Oh I guarantee there will be at least one interview by some local station somewhere where the person says:

"The operation should have gone all wrong, but it was a miracle... God was with me"

or something like that.

Why do people thank God for cancer remissions without asking why they got cancer in the first place?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wouldn't call it catching. If you look at it from the perspective that God created us, then we were created with astounding intelligence and physical abilities (such as our thumbs) to act on it. With this intelligence, we can take things further than what we were designed for.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
But God has never regenerated a limb in recent history, (i.e. within the last 1000 years) yet we will probably be able to do it within 10.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But God has never regenerated a limb in recent history, (i.e. within the last 1000 years) yet we will probably be able to do it within 10.
It simply means God didn't design us to. However, we were designed with the knowledge to do it on our own. A parent simply cannot do everything for their child forever, or the child will never learn. If God programmed our genetic code to take care of everything, then we would not be making the advances we have. I don't know about you, but I think it would be a terrible waste of our potential if we didn't have to solve these areas because we were designed to do it automatically.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Yes we would. If we were the pinnacle of genetics, we'd still be working out how life began and works, and there'd be much less suffering in the meantime.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
An organism has to be the right species and have the right disease in order to be miraculously cured. You see, God is a lot like a doctor and a vet. Some things about cats, he can fix, but some things he can't, but he can fix those things in humans, but not always. He can do miracles, but not all of the miracles. Only some of them.

:D Yeah, that's probably it.