• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Your God Punish People?

Snickerdoodle

Without trying to derail, isn't it hard for a theist to know what is 'discipline' and what is just 'stuff happens'?
And also, trying to reconcile who is punished with who is not?
Assuming (just for expediency) that these are difficult things to know, would God making his disciplines and judgements more clear also means we were more able to grow and mature?

This is why I tend to think more in terms of

1. Laws of cause and effect (or laws of conseqences) that God has set up in this world...bad things generally have harmful consequences, while good things generally have pleasant consequences.

and 2. Authority structures in this world that God has set up as well. Government, Church, family, etc.

I know this sounds somewhat deistic...however, there are aspects of my theology that have God being more interactive with mankind.