• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Time Fly?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
When you get older.

I have a childhood memory of waiting for my Grandma to arrive at the bus station. I was told she wouldn't be arriving for an hour. That hour seemed to stretch on forever.

Now an hour is no time at all. If I need to start doing something, it seems I need more than an hour just to prepare to start doing something. Weeks go by so fast I'm certain we forgot a day or two. Seems to me we just got done with the holidays and here they are upon us again.

Sure the perception of time can speed up and slow down but why would our age be a factor in this?

Where did the time go?” middle-aged and older adults often remark. Many of us feel that time passes more quickly as we age, a perception that can lead to regrets. According to psychologist and BBC columnist Claudia Hammond, “the sensation that time speeds up as you get older is one of the biggest mysteries of the experience of time.” Fortunately, our attempts to unravel this mystery have yielded some intriguing findings...

...The reason? Our brain encodes new experiences, but not familiar ones, into memory, and our retrospective judgment of time is based on how many new memories we create over a certain period. In other words, the more new memories we build on a weekend getaway, the longer that trip will seem in hindsight.
Why Does Time Seem to Speed Up with Age?

I suppose that means if we want to slow our perception of time passage, we need to experience new and unique events. Do things we haven't done before.