• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the God of Christianity use an imperfect Bible to talk to his spiritual children?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There is no superstition in any religion, what religion is teaching us is that there is a path out of the suffering as human being, som call this salvation, some call it enlightenment. The teaching and path will be tought a bit different way depending on where on the earth you are and what time period you are to gain the teaching.

Every religion is a personal path to find the answer from with in.
Personally i am a buddhist but i have no problem "promoting" other religions that i my self has looked in to and have a general knowledge about. When a person choose to live a spiritual life the mundain common life does not appeal anymore, one dedicate the life to study and cultivating mind and body.

This is why i "promote" religion as something very good for everyone

Audie

Veteran Member
There is no superstition in any religion, what religion is teaching us is that there is a path out of the suffering as human being, som call this salvation, some call it enlightenment. The teaching and path will be tought a bit different way depending on where on the earth you are and what time period you are to gain the teaching.

Every religion is a personal path to find the answer from with in.
Personally i am a buddhist but i have no problem "promoting" other religions that i my self has looked in to and have a general knowledge about. When a person choose to live a spiritual life the mundain common life does not appeal anymore, one dedicate the life to study and cultivating mind and body.

This is why i "promote" religion as something very good for everyone

Your first couple of lines are such an absurd whopper,
I should have included "ignorance' and "falsehoods"
to the promo lidt.

You did accidentally get one thing right- the victims of
the Aztec religion, whose still- beating hearts were offered
up to ever hungry "gods" were, yes, taken on a path
that ended their suffering

Religion, very good for everyone, yes, if you could
ask them, no doubt they'd say it was terrif.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I know God is real. I know the Bible is not perfect. Why does He use it to talk to us?
Not perfect in what sense, or for what purpose? You'd never say that a screwdriver isn't perfect because it doesn't hammer nails well, for example.

Earthling

David Henson
I know God is real. I know the Bible is not perfect. Why does He use it to talk to us?
The Christian Bible is rejected as a reliable source of knowledge because of the huge number of moral and factual errors it contains. Whereas believers overlook this, unbelievers consider it evidence that scripture is just human beings speaking through the device of an invented and imagined deity..

The believers either aren't aware of or don't agree with that criticism, and the unbeliever just makes insubstantial claims to that effect.

Earthling

David Henson

The Bible is an imperfect and uninspired translation of the perfect inspired word of Jehovah God. He doesn't use it to talk to us directly, but through example. The people who he was talking to existed in a time and place different from our own. The message they received directly from him was perfect, but once that message accomplished God's purpose, it was no longer needed except as an example from the past for us. It's not perfect but it's all that we need. As remarkable as the imperfect and uninspired Bible is, it is often misunderstood and misrepresented which makes it seem a great deal worse than it is.

mindlight

See in the dark

Yes God is real.

God is the standard of perfection rather than any preconceived notions in your head. The bible is without error as originally given and properly interpreted. God Himself affirms scripture in the person of Jesus who fulfils scripture , quotes from it and interprets its meaning to us.

That said , it is a reliable source to understand Gods life, truth and ways

Hawkins

You can't say that a mirror is not perfect because it can't talk as a human. The design purpose of a mirror is not for talking to humans. Similarly in order to declare something being perfect or not, you need first to understand its design purpose.

No, you don't understand the design purpose of the Bible!

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm under the impression that the Christian god uses many methods to communicate with its devotees. Why not include literature amongst those methods?

From a historical context, it's worth remembering that Pagan religions were for the most part oral traditions. Putting things down in a text enabled things to be codified in ways that were somewhat foreign to humanity's religious modus operandi previously. It's my understanding that one of the big deals of Judaism was the creation and enforcement of law - codes laid down and intended to be unchanging. Christianity developed out of that ideal to some extent. But there are others who are more well-versed in the development of Abrahamic religions than I, so I defer to their expertise in full. :D

Catholic Christianity, Judaism and Islam each have sacred oral traditions (known as Sacred Tradition, Oral Torah and Sunnah respectively) in addition to our written scriptures (the New Testament, the Tanakh and the Qur'an).

More accurately, it could be said that Christianity developed out of opposition to the theocratic legalism of the ancient Israelite faith, rather than in accordance with that ideal. As Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI explained in one of his speeches:

Apostolic Journey to Germany: Visit to the Federal Parliament in the Reichstag Building (Berlin, 22 September 2011) | BENEDICT XVI

"Unlike other great religions, Christianity has never proposed a revealed law to the State and to society, that is to say a juridical order derived from revelation. Instead, it has pointed to nature and reason as the true sources of law"

Legalism became synonymous with the heresy of "Pelagianism" early on in Christian thought - the idea that salvation consists in vigorously following the requirements of an external religious law, the "works of the law" as with the Mosaic Covenant. Instead, the Church Fathers taught salvation came from "openness to grace" and the natural law accessible to our conscience, an interior law within our minds and not something externally imposed on us with prohibitions and commands as in: "do this, do that".

The New Law of Christ does not consist of any "rules" in that way. It is spontaneous, interior, conscientious. It is about people searching deep within themselves for the voice of God, in openness to his saving grace and heeding the dictates of a well-formed conscience. This is why we have such things as the Sacrament of Confession and the practice of Examination of Conscience, used for instance by the Jesuits. There is no Christian Torah or Shariah law, nor even a detailed set of precepts as with the Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path.

The New Law is the inner grace of the Holy Spirit, accessible only to the individual's conscience. See this article written in 1962 by Stanislaus Lyonnet, a Jesuit priest and biblical scholar:

ST. PAUL: LIBERTY AND LAW – Women Can Be Priests

The law of the Spirit is radically different by its very nature. It is not just a code, not even one "given by the Holy Spirit", but a law "produced in us by the Holy Spirit"; not a simple norm of actions outside us, but somethings, that no legal code as such can possibly be: a new, inner, source of spiritual energy.

If St. Paul applies the term "law" to this spiritual energy, rather than the term "grace" that he uses elsewhere (see Rom.6:14) he most probably does it because of Jeremiah's prophecy (also mentioned in this context by St. Thomas) announcing a new covenant, the "New Testament" . For the prophet, too, speaks of law: "This is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel . .. . I will place my law within their hearts" (31:33). Every time the Angelic Doctor refers to this "New Testament", he does so in the same terms: "It is God's way to act in the interior of the soul, and it was thus that the New Testament was given, since it consists in the inpouring of the Holy Spirit". Again: "It is the Holy Spirit Himself who is the New Testament, inasmuch as He works in us the love that is the fulness of the Law (23). For the Church and for her liturgy too, the promulgation of the New Law does not date from the Sermon on the Mount, but from the day of Pentecost when the "finger of the Father's right hand",digitus paternae dexterae, wrote His law in the hearts of men; the code of the Old Law, given on Sinai, finds its counterpart, not in a new code, but in the giving of the Holy Spirit."

From this fundamental doctrine everything else flows, notably,the fact that Christian morality is of necessity founded on love, as St. Paul following his Master, teaches:"The whole Law is fulfilled in one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (Gal 5:14) "He who loves his neighbour has fulfilled the Law If there is any other command it is summed up in this saying: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself .... therefore is the fulfilment of the Law" (Rom 13:8-10) The reason is that love is not first of all a norm of conduct, by a dynamic force. As St. Thomas notes, it is precisely because the Law, as a law, was not love that it could not justify man: "Consequently it was necessary to give us a law of the Spirit, who by producing love within could give us life." (27) .

Under these conditions, it is easy to see that a Christian, that is one led by the Holy Spirit, (28) can at the same time be freed from every external law - "not be under the law" - and yet lead a perfect moral and virtuous life. St Paul makes it abundantly clear in the epistle to the Galatians, shortly after he has reduced te whole law to love: "Walk in the Spirit, and you will not fulfil the lusts of the flesh (Gal. 5: 16) Nothing could be more obvious, he explains, since these are two antagonistic principles: If you follow me, you cannot but oppose the other." If you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law." In fact, what need would you have of law?
A Spiritual man knows perfectly well what is carnal, and, if he is spiritual, he will fly from it as by instinct

It is about people being moral agents, responsibly forming and examining their own consciences over time - "working out their own salvation" - through the grace of God and the help of Holy Mother Church with her teachings, scriptures and sacraments, which exist to enlighten or "form" individual conscience properly but not to replace it.