• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the God of Christianity use an imperfect Bible to talk to his spiritual children?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
He talks to me through scripture. The protestant churches I attended are led via scripture. Only recently I started to discover evolution, contradictions, inconsistencies and errors. How could a perfect God make use of tainted material?

I just finished following your journey since you started posting here in April, as an agnostic atheist. It's been quite a ride! It isn't clear to me how you got from where you were, to saying that God talks to you through scripture, or what your interests are now in God or in scriptures. I like your story very much, and I'd like to be part of it somehow. I'll tell you some things about me, about my interests, and about my thoughts and feelings about your questions and what you've been saying. If you're still looking for a community, see my post in the thread you started about that. I've never found my community in any one place. I've had to put one together for myself. I wrote a little about that in the other thread.

I'm a member of the Baha'i Faith, and I'm trying to learn to follow Baha'u'llah. I don't know if my faith is the true faith, the gift from God or not. It looks to me like it is, but I could be wrong. I'm hoping, trusting really, that it is, and acting accordingly. The question for me now is not whether or not my faith is true, but if it is true, what do I want to do with it? For now, what I'm trying to do with it is to continually work on improving my personality, my character, my conduct, and the way I live my life, in ways that will benefit all people everywhere; and to help with the growth and spread of healthier, happier, more loving communities, all around the world. If my life goes in the direction I want it to now, I'll be spending a lot less time in Internet discussions, maybe none at all, for a few months at least, maybe much longer. If and when I do spend time in Internet discussions, it will be mostly or only for those purposes. I have a dream of helping with some online version of healthier, happier, more loving communities, and I've actually seen that dream starting to come true in my Facebook neighborhood.

Another one of my online interests, and in fact what I've been doing almost exclusively for the 20 years, more or less, that I've been on the Internet, is spending time with people whose ideas and interests seem contrary to mine, the more contrary the better. Mostly that's to help free me from whatever prejudices and delusions I might have, but also it's to practice cross-divide fellowship, learning, and collaboration, which I think is part of what the world needs most desperately.

What I think the world needs most of all, and the best thing that can happen to anyone, is what I think is called "faith" in Christian and Baha'i scriptures, but I think it can happen to anyone, regardless of their ideology or allegiances. One way I think of it is as a desire and a willingness, continually expressed in action, to try to become a better person, to help improve the world for all people everywhere. Another way is as warm feelings and friendly intentions towards all people and all of nature, continually expressed in action

The scriptures I use for those purposes are mostly Baha'i scriptures. When I use Christian scriptures, it's mostly only to see what I think about what Christians say the Bible says. I don't think it matters at all how historical or literal you think that any of it is. I think that the more you worry about that, the less you'll learn from God, and about Him. Anything that people say about contradictions with itself, with history, or with science, might be true. Or not. I don't think people always know as much as they think they do. Anything that people say, disagreeing with what the Bible says or disapproving of it, might be true, and I think it's a big mistake to try to defend the scriptures, or God, against anything that people say against them, or even to try to prove that He exists or is real. I see all of that as a red herring across our path, and a smokescreen getting in the way of using the scriptures to help us progress in the path of God. Everything that we can learn from God, or about Him, is in the stories themselves, and in our experience trying to put into practice what we see them saying about how to live better and more fruitful lives. For that purpose, it doesn't matter how much of it is literal, or in accordance with any view of science and history. It could all be pure fiction, and still serve the same purpose. As someone else says, it isn't the scripture, by itself, that teaches, inspires and teaches us. It's the Holy Spirit. That makes all the difference. That's why it doesn't have the same effects on everyone who reads it, or even on the same person at different times. I see that you've had some experiences that you think are from the Holy Spirit. Honestly, I don't know what to think about that. What I saw happening in a Pentecostal church looked fake to me, and contrary to advice from the Apostle Paul. I don't know what to think. Anyway, you seem to have some awareness of the power and influence of the Holy Spirit. That's what I think matters when you're studying the scriptures, not how literal any of it is, or how much it accords with some view of science and history. Ask for guidance and assistance from the Holy Spirit, for you to get the most out of it, to live a better and more fruitful life, in accordance with God's purposes and prescriptions. Sorry, now I'm preaching. Anyway, those are some of my thoughts about some of your questions and what you've been saying.

(edited to add the following)
I help my wife sometimes with needle-working crafts. Sometimes there are mistakes in the instructions, but we can always find out what those are and correct them, by looking at what the finished product is supposed to look like, or what we already know about how things work. We can do the same thing with scriptures. If our understanding of what the scriptures are telling us about how to live our lives doesn't seem to be producing good results, or it seems to contradict our other knowledge, then we can re-examine everything: what we think the scripture is telling us, what we think our experience and the experience of others is telling us, and what we consider good results. Any or all of those might need adjusting, but the final test is the fruits we're producing in our lives.

Last edited:

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
I know God is real. I know the Bible is not perfect. Why does He use it to talk to us?

THAT my friend is a profound question with a sorta brief answer: FAITH
Faith in the sense that not everything in the Bible can be logically {by human standards} fully understood. The Bible is replete with Mysteries and Miracles that Do require "faith" on our part.

Secondly; Jesus in Divine Wisdom choose to reveal His Truths in and through the ONLY Church that He gave ALL of the Key's to His Heavenly Kingdom: today's CC ... Mt 16:15-19; should one find this too mysterious, may I suggest you read' paying particular attention to the SINGULAR TENSE words Divinely Inspired Authors
Don't forget that the Bible was written by men, not by God. To the believer, I think that explains it. To the non-believer that makes the Bible suspect as a source of knowledge about God.
I know God is real. I know the Bible is not perfect. Why does He use it to talk to us?

How about HE whats YOU to increase in FAITH of Him...Amen!

THAT my friend is a profound question with a sorta brief answer: FAITH
Faith in the sense that not everything in the Bible can be logically {by human standards} fully understood. The Bible is replete with Mysteries and Miracles that Do require "faith" on our part.

Secondly; Jesus in Divine Wisdom choose to reveal His Truths in and through the ONLY Church that He gave ALL of the Key's to His Heavenly Kingdom: today's CC ... Mt 16:15-19; should one find this too mysterious, may I suggest you read' paying particular attention to the SINGULAR TENSE words Divinely Inspired Authors

How about HE whats YOU to increase in FAITH of Him...Amen!
Thank you for your advice Patrick. I read everything.

I just finished following your journey since you started posting here in April, as an agnostic atheist. It's been quite a ride! It isn't clear to me how you got from where you were, to saying that God talks to you through scripture, or what your interests are now in God or in scriptures. I like your story very much, and I'd like to be part of it somehow. I'll tell you some things about me, about my interests, and about my thoughts and feelings about your questions and what you've been saying. If you're still looking for a community, see my post in the thread you started about that. I've never found my community in any one place. I've had to put one together for myself. I wrote a little about that in the other thread.

I'm a member of the Baha'i Faith, and I'm trying to learn to follow Baha'u'llah. I don't know if my faith is the true faith, the gift from God or not. It looks to me like it is, but I could be wrong. I'm hoping, trusting really, that it is, and acting accordingly. The question for me now is not whether or not my faith is true, but if it is true, what do I want to do with it? For now, what I'm trying to do with it is to continually work on improving my personality, my character, my conduct, and the way I live my life, in ways that will benefit all people everywhere; and to help with the growth and spread of healthier, happier, more loving communities, all around the world. If my life goes in the direction I want it to now, I'll be spending a lot less time in Internet discussions, maybe none at all, for a few months at least, maybe much longer. If and when I do spend time in Internet discussions, it will be mostly or only for those purposes. I have a dream of helping with some online version of healthier, happier, more loving communities, and I've actually seen that dream starting to come true in my Facebook neighborhood.

Another one of my online interests, and in fact what I've been doing almost exclusively for the 20 years, more or less, that I've been on the Internet, is spending time with people whose ideas and interests seem contrary to mine, the more contrary the better. Mostly that's to help free me from whatever prejudices and delusions I might have, but also it's to practice cross-divide fellowship, learning, and collaboration, which I think is part of what the world needs most desperately.

What I think the world needs most of all, and the best thing that can happen to anyone, is what I think is called "faith" in Christian and Baha'i scriptures, but I think it can happen to anyone, regardless of their ideology or allegiances. One way I think of it is as a desire and a willingness, continually expressed in action, to try to become a better person, to help improve the world for all people everywhere. Another way is as warm feelings and friendly intentions towards all people and all of nature, continually expressed in action

The scriptures I use for those purposes are mostly Baha'i scriptures. When I use Christian scriptures, it's mostly only to see what I think about what Christians say the Bible says. I don't think it matters at all how historical or literal you think that any of it is. I think that the more you worry about that, the less you'll learn from God, and about Him. Anything that people say about contradictions with itself, with history, or with science, might be true. Or not. I don't think people always know as much as they think they do. Anything that people say, disagreeing with what the Bible says or disapproving of it, might be true, and I think it's a big mistake to try to defend the scriptures, or God, against anything that people say against them, or even to try to prove that He exists or is real. I see all of that as a red herring across our path, and a smokescreen getting in the way of using the scriptures to help us progress in the path of God. Everything that we can learn from God, or about Him, is in the stories themselves, and in our experience trying to put into practice what we see them saying about how to live better and more fruitful lives. For that purpose, it doesn't matter how much of it is literal, or in accordance with any view of science and history. It could all be pure fiction, and still serve the same purpose. As someone else says, it isn't the scripture, by itself, that teaches, inspires and teaches us. It's the Holy Spirit. That makes all the difference. That's why it doesn't have the same effects on everyone who reads it, or even on the same person at different times. I see that you've had some experiences that you think are from the Holy Spirit. Honestly, I don't know what to think about that. What I saw happening in a Pentecostal church looked fake to me, and contrary to advice from the Apostle Paul. I don't know what to think. Anyway, you seem to have some awareness of the power and influence of the Holy Spirit. That's what I think matters when you're studying the scriptures, not how literal any of it is, or how much it accords with some view of science and history. Ask for guidance and assistance from the Holy Spirit, for you to get the most out of it, to live a better and more fruitful life, in accordance with God's purposes and prescriptions. Sorry, now I'm preaching. Anyway, those are some of my thoughts about some of your questions and what you've been saying.

(edited to add the following)
I help my wife sometimes with needle-working crafts. Sometimes there are mistakes in the instructions, but we can always find out what those are and correct them, by looking at what the finished product is supposed to look like, or what we already know about how things work. We can do the same thing with scriptures. If our understanding of what the scriptures are telling us about how to live our lives doesn't seem to be producing good results, or it seems to contradict our other knowledge, then we can re-examine everything: what we think the scripture is telling us, what we think our experience and the experience of others is telling us, and what we consider good results. Any or all of those might need adjusting, but the final test is the fruits we're producing in our lives.
Thank you Jim. I appreciate your time and help.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Bible causes incessant arguments, division, judgement, condemnation, and sometimes violence.

I think it can be a dangerous read for those reasons.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
That's a good question to answer by your own critical thinking and reasoning.

If your going to read the Bible, you'll beter understand it if you read it with the scientific and archeological knowledge of the 21st century. So consider when, how, and why it was written in the first place. It's a compilation of bronze/iron age literature to support the religious ideology of the day.

Keep in mind:
1.The definition of heavenly beings or holy beings evolved as religious ideologies evolved.
2. No such thing as miracles, all things can be explained or it's a myth.
3. No such thing as knowing the future, most doctrines attempt to shoehorn prophecy for the purpose of attempting creditably.
4. Men in power will keep it using any means, using Gods name always has had power to control the masses.
5. People are persuaded by fear and wealth,
6. Religion and politics always go together,
7. History verified in the earth is superior to legends.
8. And most of all avoid spiritulizing or symbolizing, using simple or natural reasoning is normally the answer to why questions.

The old testament is basically a wiki compiled from the 7th century bc to 2nd century bc, mostly dirived from traditional oral stories passed on for generations, some plagiarized Babylonian and Persian text from the captivity, some religious propaganda to justify Israel's genocide and ethnic cleansing. There is Lots of debate on historical names, cities, and claims contained in the old testament. It should be titled "Stories and songs from the period of Abrahamic religion evolution."

The New Testament is similar... the gospels were not authored by the person its attributed to, and same for halve of the epistles of the apostles. Books of the new testament and Doctrines were established by ideas that won out by the 4th century ad. The early church tried to destroy all competing manuscripts and ideas. Some of those manuscripts have been found recently in the last 100 years.

Basically its the Bible using the concept of God to control man, not God using the concept of the Bible to reach man.

Understanding the evolution of religion and of the Bible will give you a great appreciation for "The Separation of Church and State"

Neuropteron

The bible suggests to request God's guidance before reading it.

James 1:5 "If any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep on asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching"

The same guiding spirit that inspired men and women to convey God's message is implicated in this scripture as assisting with gaining an accurate understanding.

2 Peter 1:20, 21 "...prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit"

Audie

Veteran Member
The bible suggests to request God's guidance before reading it.

James 1:5 "If any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep on asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching"

The same guiding spirit that inspired men and women to convey God's message is implicated in this scripture as assisting with gaining an accurate understanding.

2 Peter 1:20, 21 "...prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit"

That is how Christians explain how their chosen
reading is the one true one.

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
The Bible causes incessant arguments, division, judgement, condemnation, and sometimes violence.

OK :)
So does science and the Sports page... So are THEY also in your view "dangerous"?

Friend, life is short; our after life is ETERNAL.

I can prove God's existence to you IF your rational.

May God guide your life path

Patrick

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Because over the years humans has changed the words within the bible, so today it is no longer fully Gods words it is also man`s word in the bible. this is why Christians see this what you seen too

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
Because over the years humans has changed the words within the bible, so today it is no longer fully Gods words it is also man`s word in the bible. this is why Christians see this what you seen too

So then it's not the bible {so much} that is in error as it is the millions who self interpret it.

The message remains true; the messengers, not so much, which is WHY God intended and DID establish just one TRUE Faith and Church; today's Catholic Church.

May Jesus guide your life path to HIM.
Patrick

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So then it's not the bible {so much} that is in error as it is the millions who self interpret it.

The message remains true; the messengers, not so much, which is WHY God intended and DID establish just one TRUE Faith and Church; today's Catholic Church.

May Jesus guide your life path to HIM.
Patrick

The Teaching Jesus was giving that times was a true teaching yes. And the core teaching in the bible is true ofcourse, but man has changed a lot to fit their life, instead of trying to fit their life to what the bible teach, this is why so many are lost.

Buddha Sakyamuni is the teacher i follow but i highly respect those who follow the christian path too.

Audie

Veteran Member
Being a baker or farmer or a baker does not require God's Grace; FAITH Does. The talents to bake or farm are too from God; but not in the same way as is Grace.

"God's Grace" leads people to believe so many diiferent things,
does it? Lo here and lo there, faith pointing in all directions.

I dont think so.

We got one feller here, if "god" did not flash freeze wooly mammoths
his little world will collapse. Dozens if others, if ToE is true, their
faith (via God's loving Grace) is but a bitter lie.

And the things they come up with to try to protect their absurd
beliefs! Not a trace of integrity. Believers. They believe like singers sing.

No, friend, I got it right. Believers just believe things. It is what they
do.

Audie

Veteran Member

The actual history of the "bible" and its "holy script" shows it was
far more chaotic and contradictory until the clerics got it (mostly)
beat into singin' one tune.

Audie

Veteran Member
OK :)
So does science and the Sports page... So are THEY also in your view "dangerous"?

Friend, life is short; our after life is ETERNAL.

I can prove God's existence to you IF your rational.

May God guide your life path

Patrick

You can do nothing of the sort, and your pose
that only the irrational will fail to see things your
way is...never mind, I wont say it but we have
an expression in Chinese, that you might not like.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The actual history of the "bible" and its "holy script" shows it was
far more chaotic and contradictory until the clerics got it (mostly)
beat into singin' one tune.

how many tims have you read the bible? When humans removed and added things in the 1600-1700 and even up to today they removed a lot of the essens of the true teaching, because it did not fit their view of the day. if you read the dead sea scrolls and the bible they use for translation today you will see there is many parts that no longer fit.

Man should not add their view without knowing the intention of the source

Audie

Veteran Member
how many tims have you read the bible? When humans removed and added things in the 1600-1700 and even up to today they removed a lot of the essens of the true teaching, because it did not fit their view of the day. if you read the dead sea scrolls and the bible they use for translation today you will see there is many parts that no longer fit.

Man should not add their view without knowing the intention of the source

Who besides "man" is there to make it up, add or
subtract? Woodchucks?

Irrelevant as it may be, I read it thru twice.

There is no freakin' way to read the minds of the
people who made up their mesdages from "god".

What is the point anyway? There is no "there"
there beyond some moldy folk tales of an alien
and rather boring culture.

The whole book is the most collossal waste of time
ever.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why do you keep attacking religions you do not believe in?. there are many who believe and follow this and they find happiness and good with in the religion they follow. why do you attack every person who actually believe in it?

Has any religion harmed you in any way that make you angry? I ask because every time i see you post answers here it is with anger.

Audie

Veteran Member
Why do you keep attacking religions you do not believe in?. there are many who believe and follow this and they find happiness and good with in the religion they follow. why do you attack every person who actually believe in it?

Has any religion harmed you in any way that make you angry? I ask because every time i see you post answers here it is with anger.

Ah yes, if I disagree, see nonsense, I must be angry,
attacking, a damaged person, you are about happiness
and goodness.

We seldom see a real ad hom response around here,
but, you managed.

You made some unsubstantated claims about
your book, I pointed out the nonsense in it.

No substantive response in you, so you play
ad hom.

Since you asked me why I "attacked" how about
you explain why you promote superstition?