• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the critique of Israeli policy lead to the labeling of being antisemitic?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
No, as you said, this comes from the "Jewish community." And as you said "Jews do this." Not "I have seen a Jewish person do this."

Ok. I have seen Jews do this within my own experiences? Happy? I believe I referencedmy own life.

I happen to think that a lot would be improved if we just left each other alone.

Is this a religious answer or a general one? From a political standpoint I'm of the position of leaving Israel alone to fend for itself. Maintain an alliance but do not support the country militarily whatsoever. The United States is already fighting several fronts domestic and foreign behind the support of Israel. I'd shut the evangelicals up and disavow their mythological and arrogant belief that a support of Israel amounts to the return of Jesus as if a piece of real estate dictates a return of the Messiah. From a political perspective Israel will find very few allies that support them and they would be in a lot of danger from terrorist organizations. I'd use those funds we give to Israel to help our homeless here and the abused women and children. I would totally remain neutral in their conflict so yes from a political perspective I'd totally leave Israelis alone to fend for themselves. Let's see if little sister Israel can fend itself without big brother U.S. I doubt it though. Israel has done enough to isolate itself politically anyway.

From a religious point of view I believe God made a mistake with this "beacon" but I respect God's wisdom and I'm only a human I know nothing but I'm merely an observer.

We live in the world we make. We can't wait for some dream world to come into being spontaneously. We start by seeing people as people, one at a time.

You are saying nothing different than what I'm saying now. Difference is I believe we need to actively and collectively see each other as members of the same species not Jew or Christian. Sure, I'm guilty but my generalizations from time to time is symptomatic to my experiences and the environment I exist in. But first and foremost I see people as members of the human species before I see their cultural specifics. I have to have this mindset for this is how I treat people in the hospital.

rosends

Thank you for your many replies. Though I fear that you are missing much of what I said, and were too concerned with criticizing my method and assuming I did not read, instead of assuming that I did read and it is possible for a reader to pull different meaning from what was intended by the writer, if the writer is not precise enough, I just want to point out one essential difference between our positions.
All I'm saying that the duty pressed upon us wherever we are in the world is to educate people and dispel stereotypes and myths.

But you seem to think that it would be my duty to dispel myths said about me, whereas I see it as my duty to dispel the spreading of myths by members of my community about others.

As a side note, I happen not to agree that God made a mistake. Thinking that runs contrary to my understanding of a perfect God. Being left alone and leaving others alone is more of a religious position than a political one.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As a side note, I happen not to agree that God made a mistake. Thinking that runs contrary to my understanding of a perfect God. Being left alone and leaving others alone is more of a religious position than a political one.

Then as someone who is ignorant of that religious aspect of Judaism and merely going by personal experience, I'd be happy to discuss your agreement and my disagreement from that theological aspect. The invitation is open. BTW In those many responses I did my best to not come across as a prick considering I was both charting patient assessments while responding to you at the same time.

Edit: I happen to disagree with you about leaving each other alone. I'd rather very much invite my Jewish neighbor or Indian Hindu neighbor over for some BBQ and a cold beer (or whatever desirable beverage). In my life I've found food and music tends to make us cognizant of our human connection to each other as God intended....That's just my opinion. I think we know each other and our respective cultures that way.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Epic Beard Man ,

You may want to review 2 online documents.

One is called, The Core Values of Conservative Judaism on www jewishvirtuallibrary org.
The other is a pdf called Statement of Principles of Conservative Judaism on masortiolami org.

These seem to indicate that support for Israel has become part of Conservative Judaism. So when a person critiques Israeli policy it is, right or wrong, perceived by Conservative Judaism as challenging a religious belief.

It could be also true for other Jewish denominations and groups.

Last edited: