• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does religion interest you?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's similar to why I like art. It's abstract and it's fun to ponder all the different opinions of meaning and purpose, the spiritual structure of reality and how we should live. It's one of the most human things to me.

sciatica

Notable Member
otherwise its just a never ending...eat,work, sleep life. there is more to life than meets the eye. at least religion explores that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
otherwise its just a never ending...eat,work, sleep life. there is more to life than meets the eye. at least religion explores that.
Eat, work, sleep, & life are pretty darn good.
Moreover, religion looks like it often interferes
with those, especially the life part.

Ayjaydee

It's not religion per se that interests me so much as the way people will participate in it, use it to condemn or defend behaviour, use it as a subject of study, use it to avoid reality etc etc. Fascinating

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We will never finish learning

Agreed, but I can offer it will only benefit us an entire human race, when learning is centred around knowledge and Love of God.

I see until knowledge reaches that apex, science cannot answer or proffer all it has to offer.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find that very hard to believe.

That is understandable

We will never finish learning

Agreed, but I can offer it will only benefit us an entire human race, when learning is centred around knowledge and Love of God.

I see until knowledge reaches that apex, science cannot answer or proffer all it has to offer.

Regards Tony

That is why religion interests me, I see the apex of all knowledge is to know and Love God.

I see all material knowledge points us towards that apex of Knowledge. That is why can support what investigateTruth has say said, that Faith tells him the Truth that he needs to know.

This is the knowledge that can build a Unity of mind that will only consider the use of knowledge and science for the good of all.

Regards Tony

Cooky

Veteran Member
That is why religion interests me, I see the apex of all knowledge is to know and Love God.

I see all material knowledge points us towards that apex of Knowledge. That is why can support what investigateTruth has say said, that Faith tells him the Truth that he needs to know.

This is the knowledge that can build a Unity of mind that will only consider the use of knowledge and science for the good of all.

Regards Tony

Religion only teaches a small portion of history, and leaves gaping holes of all kinds of knowledge.

Another poster from your sect suggested that all the Truth can be found in religion. We can all see this is clearly not true at all.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion only teaches a small portion of history, and leaves gaping holes of all kinds of knowledge.

Another poster from your sect suggested that all the Truth can be found in religion. We can all see this is clearly not true at all.

We can expand our frames of references, or we can shut them off with predudices we have built because of the nature and nurture we have experienced.

I see it is the Spirit behind us all that motivates knowledge beyond the senses. Otherwise we would be bound to our animal instinct where only the fittest survive.

Creation came into being from a reaction between elements, in Faith we have been told that was the joining of the Letters B and E.

I see all life is sustained by the spirit, I see it is Spirit that gives life.

Most great inventions come from reflection, from a mind greater than our individual self. It is only when humanity unites, that the power of mind can be fully unlocked.

Regards Tony

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I was just curious the reasons people show and express interest in religion. If you can, please explain this. Thanks.
I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant denomination that eventually turned me off to religion in general and Christianity in particular, largely because that was the only church I had experienced When dating an Italian Catholic woman back in the mid-1960's, I went to several masses with her and enjoyed them, but not enough to get inspired enough to actually convert.

But out of curiosity, I took a class in Catholic Theology 101 and became so interested that I took a follow-up course in Catholic Moral Theology that was even more interesting. However, since I was quite agnostic, there was no desire to convert, plus I thought that even though the classes were interesting, I would never use what I had learned in them. Was I wrong.

Roughly 10 years later, after attending mass regularly with my wife even though I didn't believe, something happened that was to send me off on a new course. But I still wasn't sure which way to go, so I figured the only way to know was to study. I would go to the library and just pull books on Christianity off the shelf regardless as to whom the authors were. It is after doing tons of reading and soul searching whereas I came to realize that Catholicism was the best way for me to go, and that very much pleased my Italian Catholic wife (not the same woman that I dated more than 10 years previous).

The above is the short version of the story.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Religion seems to be something invented to explain everything instead of question everything. Often people that are isolated have to motivate themselves from within and without. Religion to me springs from these motivations to grapple and make sense of reality. I think with all that a human is and can be religion is an inevitable part of human history because it's part of mankind discovering themselves. Unfortunately it became something undesirable; a method of power and control, a method of spreading fear and obedience. I want to know if there are any redeemable qualities to be learned from religious thinking.

Any time people have to think on their entire own without any resources I like to learn if there is anything profitable and worthy that comes from that struggle. Religion seems to be apart of that struggle.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Religion seems to be something invented to explain everything instead of question everything. Often people that are isolated have to motivate themselves from within and without. Religion to me springs from these motivations to grapple and make sense of reality. I think with all that a human is and can be religion is an inevitable part of human history because it's part of mankind discovering themselves. Unfortunately it became something undesirable; a method of power and control, a method of spreading fear and obedience. I want to know if there are any redeemable qualities to be learned from religious thinking.

Any time people have to think on their entire own without any resources I like to learn if there is anything profitable and worthy that comes from that struggle. Religion seems to be apart of that struggle.
I like what you wrote here, and I largely agree. My approach, however, is probably different in that the teachings of basic morality is what I tend to focus mostly on, thus feeling that science can teach us how things work but not what is right v wrong. In Anthropology, religion is considered one of the "five basic institutions" that all societies as far back as recorded history can take us.

Even when I go mass, my main focus is to meditate on the morals being taught both through the written word and the spoken word. And I feel very much at home in all different kinds of religious settings, with the exception of those that teach a "my way or the highway" approach.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I like what you wrote here, and I largely agree. My approach, however, is probably different in that the teachings of basic morality is what I tend to focus mostly on, thus feeling that science can teach us how things work but not what is right v wrong. In Anthropology, religion is considered one of the "five basic institutions" that all societies as far back as recorded history can take us.

Even when I go mass, my main focus is to meditate on the morals being taught both through the written word and the spoken word. And I feel very much at home in all different kinds of religious settings, with the exception of those that teach a "my way or the highway" approach.

I grew up in a my way or the highway religion. I took the highway. I am especially interested in religions that may be more universally acceptable morally. I'm glad you found such settings because I would actually like to do that.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I grew up in a my way or the highway religion. I took the highway. I am especially interested in religions that may be more universally acceptable morally. I'm glad you found such settings because I would actually like to do that.

The virtues and Morals are the best foundation for a sound future. Education needs to find each person's potential and not by beating it out of us, but by fostering an environment, where learning is fun and bountiful for all.

Regards Tony

Cooky

Veteran Member
I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant denomination that eventually turned me off to religion in general and Christianity in particular, largely because that was the only church I had experienced When dating an Italian Catholic woman back in the mid-1960's, I went to several masses with her and enjoyed them, but not enough to get inspired enough to actually convert.

But out of curiosity, I took a class in Catholic Theology 101 and became so interested that I took a follow-up course in Catholic Moral Theology that was even more interesting. However, since I was quite agnostic, there was no desire to convert, plus I thought that even though the classes were interesting, I would never use what I had learned in them. Was I wrong.

Roughly 10 years later, after attending mass regularly with my wife even though I didn't believe, something happened that was to send me off on a new course. But I still wasn't sure which way to go, so I figured the only way to know was to study. I would go to the library and just pull books on Christianity off the shelf regardless as to whom the authors were. It is after doing tons of reading and soul searching whereas I came to realize that Catholicism was the best way for me to go, and that very much pleased my Italian Catholic wife (not the same woman that I dated more than 10 years previous).

The above is the short version of the story.

Thanks for sharing that.